Ok guys, I bolded the important parts so if you want you can skim, I just want responses.

Ok, to be honest I am at a loss to how good or bad I am at guitar. I don't have many people to check up against, most of the kids I've played with are either amazing or completely sh|tty.

I guess I'll list some stuff that I can do, and maybe you can tell me where I am? Like 1/100, 0= noob, 10=meh, 20=eh, 30= well..., 40= acceptable, 50= decent, 60= pretty damn good, 70= wow., 80= Jeeze..., 90= Holy Piss!, 100= guitar god!

So, not above 30 probably.

Anyways...

See, the problem is my teacher is a great guy, great guitar player. I've been playing for 4 years, 3 with him. But he refuses to teach me whole songs!

He'll teach me the intro and main parts of Carry on My Wayward Son, and the intro to La Grange and the beginning to the solo, but he says "Oh, most solos are just improvising. It would take us too long to cover the whole thing."

But I really want to be able to tell people what entire songs I can play, not just the riffs. I'm not all that good at learning music on my own, and I suck at soloing.

I can work on that, but I feel I need experience from practicing under my belt before I can just improvise. He doesn't understand I'm sort of deadlocked. Also, I can't just pick up songs on my own because he never shows me how to get going in a solo, for me its like bad 1/4 tempo solos, its just awkward.

So could you guys let me know where I am, and maybe some songs I can use to slowly build up???

What I know:

A lot of chords, mostly from the 1st beginner volume from Berkley's book

Intro to Carry On My Wayward Son, no solos

Simple Man- Lynyrd Skynyrd, no solos learned on own

Road Trippin'- RHCP

Black Dog- Led Zep, no solos (I forget if there are any, I haven't listened to this in awhile)

Killing in the Name Of- RATM no solos, learned on own

Over the Hills and Far Away- Led Zeppelin Like, first 40 seconds, learned on own

Little Wing- Hendrix. All of the intro, never bothered to show me chords. I can do the first 27 secs in like 35 secs.

REALLY basic riffs, Smoke on the Water, Love that Dirty Water, etc.

Our Revolution- Halifax, intro. Learned on own.

------------

I know, it's pitiful. I've forgotten to put on some, but my teacher only taught really little parts of the songs, and I've wrote a few simple songs. There are kids who aren't nearly as motivated as me who've been playing half as long and are already better.

I don't want to drop my teacher just yet, because he's good and he says at a certain point we'll start jumping into the deep stuff.

I just want to know how good I am so I know what to learn next, so I can get better and move past crappy pop songs.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
OMG DUDE!!
ditch the dude!!
for god's sake, that guy must suck so much man!
no to offend you or anything, but in 3 years you could be shredding your ass off like the pros!
that guy is only stopping you from evolving. seriously.
just grab yourself some tabs from this site and start practicing solos man.
and learn theory too, as it seems he didn't even taught you that.

check these out:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942688
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

and my sig

i actually feel pissed off at your teacher :s
He's a great player, great guy, good at teach, but slow as hell. Well, there is a class in my school on Music Theory. Might take that. Also, no offense taken, I know how far behind I am. I think I learned some theory from Violin in 4th grade. :P

So any suggestions for songs/ etc.?
Dude, if he doesnt want to teach you solos then idk what hes doing teaching guitar.

Many solos are improvised in the studio, but the guitarist memorizes what they improvised, and learns it and plays it over in the concerts and what not.
Idk
it depends if you know all of those songs super perfect or not, but assuming you do then... 40-45 maybe?
Learn theory. It helps like everything in your playing.
As for songs to learn, I would say the solos in the beginning of metallica 'one' are pretty cool, and easy,
and you should also learn some hendrix.

don't say "i know im pitiful, i suck" etc. you're better than some people, and no matter how good you get, you can still look at how good other people are and say that you suck.

and yeah there's a solo in black dog

by the way
i have been playing for three years, no lessons. i basically just picked stuff up from "fretboard logic" and looking at tabs and online guitar videos, and i can play stuff like killswitch and mastodon and thrashy metallica
just to give you a reference point i guess

wow i must sound like a total goober, like my entire post was a bunch of random sentences.
w/e

PRACTICE!
maybe theres a reason your teacher wont teach you solos other than how long it would take ... ask him and if thats his only reason its a load of sh*t

from what i read its probly because (from the hendrix example) you arent ready to play fast solos yet

you should find a slow tempo solo you like and bring it to him
if you like rock do the solos to guns n roses - knockin on heavens door

it looks like your learning rhythm guitar and you want to play lead

i take lessons too and trust me its way easier to solo once you have the rhythm down
thats one of the first things i learned

eventually you wont need to learn how to play the rhythm to songs (not that you shouldnt) because youll be able to pick out the key for a solo in your mind instead of the hard ways

btw i think improv is more fun anyway so if u really wanna impress ur freinds play a song u know and when it gets to the solo improvise...
thats also how youre gonna find your sound as a lead guitarist

o and ur rating... for how long youve been playing id say almost a 40
well, sure.
if you want top difficulty songs, try paganini's caprices
no boundaries by michael angelo batio
anything malmsteen
joe satriani for 2 handed tapping in some songs, and hard rockish with blues influenced solos
dream theater have great solos too, with john petrucci having a solo record.
vinnie moore is a nice shreder
maybe some shawn lane, for more soft stuff
eric johnson for pop rock
al di meola for acoustic latin stuff. shreds too
you've got steve vai for a more modern / wtf weird sound
and uh, jimi hendrix for pure blues rock

that's pretty much all i remember now.
although everything i mentioned can be hard, it's not bad for you to try hard stuff at your point. you'll be much more in touch with new techniques you haven't known before, and will force you to learn them.

for the above post, rhythm and lead aren't as linked as you think they are. and i can tell you from what i've seen in others, and in my own playing, if you've only played rhythm before, you'll have a rough time when trying to learn lead.

and i've really gotta go to sleep now lol
Last edited by RCalisto at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by Davus

I just want to know how good I am so I know what to learn next, so I can get better and move past crappy pop songs.

There's no way anyone can tell you where you're at by your list. It doesn't mean
anything.

If you don't like the songs it's one thing, but dismissing stuff because you think it's
"too noob" is a mistake. You can usually pick out a good player no matter what they
play. So, that might tell you that playing well has a lot more to do with something
other than than difficulty of the music.

It sounds like these are matters you should take up with your teacher. If he/she
can't explain, or you don't trust the explanation, you might be better off on your own
for the time being.
Start learning theory. You'll learn to improvise faster, and you'll be aware of what you're doing, rather than playing it by ear (nothing wrong with that, but I prefer the theoretical approach).

It seems like you've covered a lot of riffs and rhythm stuff. Learn a few easy solos that won't take you a year to learn. If you like Zeppelin, learn the Stairway to heaven solo, it's a good trainer, and not too difficult/syncopated imo. You'll build up a few licks from it too.

It also depends on what kind of guitarist/musician you want to be. Shredder? Blues...ist? Rock-n-Roller? Jazzer? etc.
Teachers aren't there to teach you songs, they'r there to teach you the skills that enable you to learn songs on your own.

Maybe he's not teaching you solos because you're not good enough?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by RCalisto

for the above post, rhythm and lead aren't as linked as you think they are. and i can tell you from what i've seen in others, and in my own playing, if you've only played rhythm before, you'll have a rough time when trying to learn lead.

different strokes i guess...

im lucky i have a really good teacher and he teaches me the chords and the solo and we take turns playing lead and rhythm so im basically learning both at the same time and it definetly works

ive been playing for year this winter and i got stairway, all along the watchtower, sweet child of mine, some of eruption and some others

thats how ive been learning and it works for me...
i figure it would work for him... it doesnt hurt to try
Thanks very much for the comments.

If you don't like the songs it's one thing, but dismissing stuff because you think it's
"too noob" is a mistake. You can usually pick out a good player no matter what they
play. So, that might tell you that playing well has a lot more to do with something
other than than difficulty of the music.

The only reason I said I wanted to get into tougher stuff was because I want to play songs I like listening to.

I have no problem with people learning"Hey there delilah" but it's not something I want to learn, because the music I like is more complicated and therefore tougher.

So I'm not dismissing the music as "too noob", it's just that the really "noob" songs are the only ones I can play easily, and by playing at that level I'm not moving up as fast as I could by challenging myself.

I like the tougher stuff because for me more notes= more melodic and interesting to my ears, and it just happens to be tougher.

don't say "i know im pitiful, i suck" etc. you're better than some people, and no matter how good you get, you can still look at how good other people are and say that you suck.
I am better than some people, but I think that my skill doesn't really equal four years of playing. So me and my teacher are both messing up. (Note: I forgot where i was and thought I was posting in the Pit, so I was guarding against people saying "you're pretty bad" by saying it up front myself. I don't really think I'm bad, but I could always get better)

btw i think improv is more fun anyway so if u really wanna impress ur freinds play a song u know and when it gets to the solo improvise...

The only problem is because I don't know solos, I have no techniques to look at that other guitarists have used. And so it ends up sounding like jazzed up pentatonic and major scales.
Sorry for the double post, had dinner, came back and posted.

Teachers aren't there to teach you songs, they'r there to teach you the skills that enable you to learn songs on your own.

Maybe he's not teaching you solos because you're not good enough?

Quite possibly. Maybe I'm trying to rush in and learn solos and such too early, but it feels like I'm not making much progress.

It also depends on what kind of guitarist/musician you want to be. Shredder? Blues...ist? Rock-n-Roller? Jazzer? etc.

Not sure, so far I've only gone into classic rock with my teacher, but metal, blues, and jazz seem interesting to me. I have to play around.

im lucky i have a really good teacher and he teaches me the chords and the solo and we take turns playing lead and rhythm so im basically learning both at the same time and it definetly works

ive been playing for year this winter and i got stairway, all along the watchtower, sweet child of mine, some of eruption and some others

My teacher does the same and I've covered those songs, but instead of teaching solos or techniques in the solo, he says "Improvise on the x-th fret, man!"
And I stagger out with some pentatonic bullsh|te and hes like "Dood that was sick, whoo-ee" because he gets $20 for a half an hour. But other than that he's pretty much normal. Learned a lot of chords and progressions from the book, but only main riffs.
Last edited by Davus at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by Davus

So I'm not dismissing the music as "too noob", it's just that the really "noob" songs are the only ones I can play easily, and by playing at that level I'm not moving up as fast as I could by challenging myself.

I like the tougher stuff because for me more notes= more melodic and interesting to my ears, and it just happens to be tougher.

the cure for slow hands is a metronome
id also prescribe for you tabs with licks you like and learn those licks and learn to use them and variations of them in your soloing
do that and alot of jamming and licks will come naturally

and tell your teacher what your telling us
...if hes worth having he'll work with you

EDIT:
Quote by Davus

My teacher does the same and I've covered those songs, but instead of teaching solos or techniques in the solo, he says "Improvise on the x-th fret, man!"
And I stagger out with some pentatonic bullsh|te and hes like "Dood that was sick, whoo-ee" because he gets $20 for a half an hour.

the bold is probly so you can end up with your own licks but if you really dont want to id tell him and im sure hed work with you

the underlinded is (probably i dont know the guy) not because youre paying him but to keep you motivated... if you think hes not being sincere to you tell him youd rather he tells you how to fix it and not how good it wasnt
Last edited by kong21 at Sep 5, 2008,
and tell your teacher what your telling us
...if hes worth having he'll work with you

Ok, I just wanted to see if people could come to an agreement on some good ideas on what to do, and it worked. Will do.

EDIT:

if you think hes not being sincere to you tell him youd rather he tells you how to fix it and not how good it wasnt

He'll tell me when I'm messing up right away in the actual song, but for improv he refuses to make judgements because its my own work and not something that can be corrected note for note. I guess it was kind of jerky to say how its for the money and not to motivate me, but it's frustrating because he thinks that practicing the few things I know for soloing will make it better and he doesn't need to butt in.
Last edited by Davus at Sep 5, 2008,
You pay him to teach you; he should teach what you want to learn.

Likewise, I'm in college. My parents pay my school quite a lot of money, but I get to take the classes I want; my school doesn't control that Of course, there are required courses and areas where coursework must be done such as foreign language and social science, but for the most part, I do what I want.
I think not teaching you full songs, or saying "solos are mostly improvised" is a copout on his part. There is LOTS that you can learn by playing a solo note for note. I would suggest moving on as it sounds like you may have gotten all you can out of him.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by Davus

Record something you say you can play "easily" (preferably to a metronome or drum
or rhythm track). That would be more telling than a list. To quite a large extent
challenges are where you look for them and a lot of people overlook the challenges
that will make you a better player in favor of the "flashy" challenges that will
make an already good player better, but not help much turning a bad player into a
good one.

So, if you're really looking for a skills assessment, record some stuff.
if I was you I'd learn more songs, 4 years and that's all the songs you know?

Everytime you learn a song you learn more than just how to play a new song.

You learn new strumming patterns, new chord progressions, and new techniques for solos.

With all the tabs on this site, if you're into popular music you should be able to find quite a bit of tabs on here that you will like.
yeah dude learn the solos by urself if ur teacher wont teach u
4 how long uve played u should feel comfortable enough to b able 2 learn something without ur teacher