Page 1 of 2
New Bass and amp!

Im buying an epi Tbird for 300 and that leaves me a hundred left. My guitar amp is 65 watts so I need a bass amp that can compete with it.

Whats a good amp for a hundred or lil more. 300 max?
STOP!!!
DO NOT BUY THE TBIRD!!!

please try a squier vintage modified jazz bass first.
PLEASE!!!

Edit:
and hey, it's cheaper which gives you more money for a better amp.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Sep 5, 2008,
I love the tbird sorry mate. Also, im keeping it at my girls and she wants a tbird.

We both love em, both hate the strat design so there you have it =)
Whatever. Anything but a Thunderbird. Doesn't need to be a Fender-style design.
The FAQ, do you want to be heard over a drummer with this amp?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
I dont want a beginner amp. I already have my friends old Dean Playmate for that. I want a bass thats gonna last awhile but I have no job and Im selling 2 guitars for this.

I want a thunderbird. What amp is good?
Im stubborn. Yes, I know. But Im tired of asking for help every few months on here and getting bashed cuz of my bass choice. I love the Tbird. I just need a good amp.
yeah, we do bash Tbirds a bit too much on here.
Sorry, The acoustic B200 is not necessarily a beginners amp and I believe that its fairly priced.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Sigh...

I'll prescribe Acoustic and Ashdown amps. Have a look at some of their lower-end stuff.

Get something good... you'll need it to get any tone from an Epiphone.
its fine =)
Why bash tho, Ive played squiers, fenders and epi's and the thunderbird isnt that bad, my bassist in my band says the same.

so if I put a distortion pedal on this someday how good would it sound on here
It would sound slightly better than a clean Tbird tone but...

I agree, they're not that bad for the price.
Even if they're really only worth circum 20 USD.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
lol nothing sells for what its worth. Gibson LP Studio Mahogany cost 800, cost 200 for GC to buy.
get an ibanez GSR 190 or 200 dawg. They don't look as sexy but looks don't mater.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
How do you know...nevermind.
Stay away from Behringer, I'd hate for the world to have to hear a Tbird through a Behringer. It might bring about the apocolypse.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
My buddy worked for GC, quit and works at Best buy.
He dishes dirt when he gets pissed.
Acoustic B200.

and I know you're dead set on a t-bird but consider this- so far the people on here have all agreed on one thing- you shouldn't get a t-bird.

Ibanez, Squier, Yamaha, ESP...

and you know why that shape is so popular? it's comfortable. it has good fret access. it's balanced.

the t-bird is none of these things. it sounds ugly when you aren't playing roots, it dives when you aren't holding the strap, and it won't stay on many guitar stands.

reconsider.

EDIT: and that cool looking bridge? it's so weak it will pop off at random times. so much for long lasting.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Humanity speaks the truth to the fullest extent. I beg you to reconsider your choice of bass.
He's already stated that he's set on getting this bass.

/bass choice bashing
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
We know. We're just trying to get him to realize the higher amounts of cons than pros to the T-bird.
Quote by Victory2134
He's already stated that he's set on getting this bass.

/bass choice bashing

I gave him advice too. then my honest opinion.

I'd feel guilty if I didn't say anything and he bought it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Epiphone basses are hated on this forum, and for a good reason, the list of Cons with the Bass far Outweighs the Pros; in the end it just is not worth the money to buy it. If you really do not want a "Strat Style Shape" (which jazz basses aren't, the shape is different) then look at some LTD's, they do some pretty cool shapes, including a few Gibson ones, which are far better than the Epiphones:

F-104

http://www.espguitars.com/basses_f.html

EC-104

http://www.espguitars.com/basses_ec.html

Viper-104

http://www.espguitars.com/basses_viper.html
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Here's my advice:

GET THE TBIRD, it's great. Just bought one and loving it.

Go for an Ampeg BA-115. Lots of power for only $370.
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

Coheed and Cambria: Rush, Iron Maiden, and Star Wars had a baby.
Quote by FiestaItaliano
Here's my advice:

GET THE TBIRD, it's great. Just bought one and loving it.

Go for an Ampeg BA-115. Lots of power for only $370.

you'll hate both of those in 6 months.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
you'll hate both of those in 6 months.

lol i wonder how accurate that estimation really is, anyways ive never played a t-bird before so i cant really say. as others have said i suggest the acoustic B200 its 200 watts and its at an amazing price (my rumble is 100 watts less and cost 30$ less i regret getting the rumble) remember get a bass for feel and sound not looks, if you love the feel of the t-bird then just get it.
I played an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird when I was in the states about a year ago. I thought they looked cool and did want to get one at the time. I played it and well... it was just kinda, meh. The thing was lifeless and neck dove horribly, they just aren't fun to play.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
yes on here they say that. but my friends and teachers all say Tbirds are fine.

Also, I never said the design was bad! I just dont like it. I play guitar, my first guitar was a shitty as strat copy and I never learned anything on it. I picked up an epi LP and I started learning. So Im more geared twoards the LP compared to the Strat because of my experiences. The Strat/tele/lp/sg are all good guitars, I just dont like the strat, or tele or (some) Sg's.
that's because they aren't tone junkies. and not all your friends play bass I bet.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

dont get the T-bird seriously, just because gibson/epi makes good guitars dosent mean they make good basses.
Quote by ChemicalFire

+1 dude.

im cant comment on how epi tbirds sound, because i have never played one... HOWEVER, i have heard from EVERYONE of my bass playing friends, teachers, etc that the tone sucks balls, and the neck dive is unbearable. your a beginner, you DO NOT need to start on a bass that has been proven to neck dive. seriously, check out a few at your local shop, because your gunna keep getting the same responses here... and there is a very good reason for that

Sanity is not statistical
Sorry to be a dick about this, but if there's one thing this forum agrees on, it's that anything made gibson or epiphone with less than 6 strings is going to sound like mud. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Perhaps its a problem with the bass market that there are very few alternatives to a fender P or J bass, but that's the way the world is, and there's a genuine reason why they're a cut above the rest. if you're desperate to get something that isn't a fender, check out a warwick rockbass. perhaps more expensive than the squier, but a very decent quality bass.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
T-birds are designed to be hanged on a wall, to show everyone that you only care about looks and nothing about musician ship.
If you really want something fancy, look at ESP LTD basses. They sound and play as good as they look.
Fender rumbles are pretty cheap, all i know is that the 15'' speaker one is 100w and the bottom lights up in red to your playing.
Quote by Vastros

Im buying an epi Tbird for 300

I didn't even have to read the post below to know what it'd say. I've never even played a Tbird.
To the TS

I wanted a T-Bird for about a year, I thought they were thesae beastly lookin awesome bass machines...and assumed they'd have a sound to match!! When I saw one in my music store, I was so happy....you have no idea how dissapointed I was within 5 minutes of plugging it in, and I was playing through a gnarly trace elliot amp and speaker.

If you want one, that's great, but please go and try one first, then try other basses you can afford, and just hear the difference.

Yes I know Im uncool cuz Im agreeing with everyone, but maybe that's cuz everyone's right?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by the humanity
you'll hate both of those in 3 days.

fixed

please dont get one, you will REGRET it no matter how much you say you want it now

il give you an example, have you ever seen something you want really really badly and then when you get it, its not as good as you thought, and it look better when you didnt have it

that will happen, only you will have wasted 300 bucks in the process
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Page 1 of 2