Hey guys,

I have been lurking around here and just decided to register. I am currently looking to purchase my first bass very soon. I looked through the Ultimate Bass Forum FAQ, and it gave me some great insight into what to look for in a starting bass. I have narrowed it down to these two basses, and need some advice in deciding between them:

Ibanez SRX2EX1

Ibanez BTB200

If these are both solid guitars, I would appreciate knowing which is better, since I am completely new to this. And if there are some better basses in any brand at this same price range(I am willing to spend $300-$350 on the bass itself,) some suggestions would be great.

Thanks a lot!
I'd go with the SRX, better body wood and it just looks nicer! Plus the humbuckers give an awesome growl (IMO)

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by Dead Fetus
I heard that the Ibanez GSR200 is awesome for beginners it's only $200

I agree. I've had one for 4 years, and for all its flaws, it's served my purpose perfectly, even as an intermediate bassist and now that I am more advanced.

It may not be my number 1 any more, but I went through a bunch of shit with that bass. It's been beaten, drenched in sweat, and covered in blood, and it still works (with some minor electrical problems, but I call them quirks).

Save the extra money and get a better amp or some important accessories (bunch of spare strings, quality strap, good tuner, good leads).
I like SRX better. they are about the same though, it's personal preference. play both.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah they're the same quality really. I much prefer SRs to BTBs but you may not.
I've heard bad things about the BTB's construction, as nice as they look. I would go for the SRX.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I've heard bad things about the BTB's construction, as nice as they look. I would go for the SRX.

I have a BTB200 and it is constructed really badly. A higher end BTB might be better, but I'd say go for the SRX. I love the body on the BTB, and I'm not a huge fan of the SRX's body, but the SRX I'm sure is a better beginner's bass. I can get a great funk tone out of my BTB, and I play other genres of music, but it's hard to fit the tone to other genres.
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 6, 2008,
I wish they had those SRX EX bridges when I bought my SRX390. Damn Ibanez :[

Realize the BTB has a 35" scale
, the string tension will be greater than standard, unless you down tune really low. Maybe not the best bet for a beginner.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Sep 6, 2008,
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I wish they had those SRX EX bridges when I bought my SRX390. Damn Ibanez :[

Realize the BTB has a 35" scale, the string tension will be greater than standard, unless you down tune really low.
Maybe not the best bet for a beginner.

Yeah I noticed that. It does make playing fingerstyle a bit more difficult.

What exactly does difference in string tension do to the tone?
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 6, 2008,
Very cool guys, thanks for all of the input. I will probably go for the SRX, but I gotta go take a look at it in person first.
Personally, the SRX would be my choice. A friend of mine owned one of the higher end BTB's and it was honest to god the most horrible bass I've ever played. That and one those horrible Tanglewood Rebel things...euch...don't mention them in my presence, please.

The SRX looks as though it'd be a solid bass, make sure you try one first. That's always essential. Also make sure you have a decent amount of cash allocated for picking up an amp, because ultimately it's the quality of your amp that's more important when shaping tone. If you're playing through a good amp, the difference between say the SRX and the GSR beginner model will be negligible.