Ok, so my band is covering the song Island In The Sun by Weezer, and the solo is quite broad....

[Solo] Em - Am - D - G
e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--7-h9-7--5-\4/-5-\4~----2-h4-2--------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------5-4--5-5~----(2x)-------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

So I was wondering if someone could help me extend this solo by giving me tips on different styles of picking and different strumming patterns and all that good stuff!

Thanks a ton in advance!
never hear that song, not planning on searching it. Em pentatonic FTW in this song. you can always use one of the modes...

EDIT: i see it has slides, you can make 3 notes per string in the E, B, G strings.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
So your covering a cover? lol I always felt werid about doing that (my last band covered Nirvana's version of Love Buzz, it was actually really good tho)

Let me listen to the song and I'll get back to this
Please refer to the two links in my sig. They will provide you with way more information than you need, but you will learn a lot.

For this specific case, I emphasize the video more than theory, though you should read-up on the basics on scales.
havent heard that solo, but it looks like some telecaster would do good as guitar to use. For the solo extend using bends and slower hammer ons, lots o reverb and sustained notes.
Well I listened to it, and the solo follows the lyrics so if you wanted to extend it, I would go along with that and figure out the rest of the melody
Quote by bangoodcharlote
In For Whom the Bell Tolls, there is a line like, "On a night like tonight you could get away with anything." If you know the line verbatim or the page number, please PM me that information.

What?
This is a fairly simple diatonic progression, which means that it probably won't take nicely to insane scalar substitutions and the like. What you need to do is keep things fresh within the context of the key. Watch Melodic Control and really listen to what he is saying. Some people simply take "Play chord tones" out of it, but the real thing is that you should know how the note of your choice(not necessarily a chord tone) will sound over the chord you're playing over. This involves a fair bit of ear training, but eventually you will be able to take a melodic idea in your head and use it at will. Until then, you can get quite a bit out of the E Minor pentatonic, as it consists of the most generally consonant notes available and is extremely popular in rock.

Alternatively, repeat the vocal melody.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Sep 5, 2008,