Hey UG,

I am having a bit of trouble picking faster notes in succession. I can play almost anything with a medium styled tempo, but for songs with a random bit of speed (I believe called triplets?) totally ruins me.

For example: most Avenged Sevenfold songs, and more specifically; the intro of A Place For My Head by Linkin Park:

e-|-----------------------------------------------
B-|-----------------------------------------------
G-|-------444--5-4-2--------------------------
D-|-2-2----------------5--5--333-3-3-5------
A-|-----------------------------------------------
D-|-----------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilaColFM5fY
Link if you are wondering what it sounds like for those who don't know.

The three 4's and 3's that run in succession mess me up big time. I know how to alternate pick pretty well, its just for some reason that one part screws me up. I do practice it some times (guitar pro & increasing tempo slowly) but for some reason as soon as I try to play it at 80% and up, I can't seem to keep up.

Any exercises that I can do or something to help my speed as far as picking goes?
As far as triplets go I'd usually just tell you to learn some lamb of god and tell you to do what you say you are already doing. How long have you been playing? It seems like you are new to it, but it will come with time. . . one of those things.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I've only been playing for about 3 months. And if its just one of those things that come with time, then I'll just accept it. Most of the songs I enjoy are 'harder' songs to play and I guess Im just trying to move on too fast, but I'll try some easier things for now and keep working on it.

Thank you btw. =)
Well, the only other thing I could say that might help you is a guide on how to count it, but just alternate pick it. I played the riff. . .. which I have a bit of an edge on you. . . but, try this, down pick the first two notes and on the triplet. . . down up down, then go on with usual downpicking. . . that way your hand automatically makes it a triplet. . . live by alternate picking, I try to alternate pick everything. That's all I can really give you.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
to pick fast like that in the triplets, its all in alternate picking.

what you have to do is hold the pick flat between you first finger and thumb
like this

except leave just about 2 or 3 millimeters of pick out of your finger.
and when picking it, the pick shouldnt be parallel with the strings, you have to turn your wrist at an angle basicly picking with the side of the pick

if you search the web you should find some tutorials on it

hope that helps you, its really hard to explain and a lot easier to show. it just takes practice, like when i switched from just all downpicking to alternate i practiced scales all alternating endlessly, it takes practice.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Just practice, perfect it at a slow tempo, don't try to play it any faster until it's flawless and only bump up the tempo by 5bpm at a time. Just don't expect instant results, speed doesn't develop over hours, it develops over years, just concentrate on being accurate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com