Page 1 of 2
do you guys use the built in distortion in your tube amps, or do you guys use the clean channel and stuff it with pedals?

because, i can now either get myself a number of pedals to help boost my tone and get a simple good amp in the future (either SS or all tube, i don't know), OR, save up now and get myself a really good tube amp...

and, i've got a couple of pedals lined up in my mind already...

Bad Monkey
Crunchbox or Little big muff pi
ISP Decimator noise reduction
Barber Tone press
DD7

well...it MIGHT be in order..but i'll never know...i might end up getting the DD7 first..oh well,what do you guys think?
just get a good amp for your needs.

what's your budget and music style.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What amp is this? I'd use (I don't have a tube amp... ) an OD pedal over the amp distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 5, 2008,
i use my amp distortion (marshall dsl50)... it can sometimes even be harmful to your amp's circuitry to distort the clean channel too much with signal-boosting distortion pedals.

just get an amp that has the distortion you need. also, good call on the DD7... fantastic pedal.
The distortion on the lead channel in my tube amp sounds really good. I have hooked up some store bought pedals to see how they do but they seem to suck so much life out of the amp. I do use a turbo TS9 at times it works good, but its a TS9 one of those pedals made to go with tubes. The FET based pedals I have been experimenting with seem to work good with a tube amp but dont know any store bought pedals using FETs.
The onboard distortion on both gain channels of my Bugera 333XL are incredible.

I've never played a tube amp that I thought needed a separate distortion stompbox. Maybe only as a boost, but never on the clean channel as the only distortion.
I plan on using a metal muff with an orange tiny terror, simply because I need footswitchable gain (or channels) for the progressive style of music I play.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Yeah I am wondering this also, I am using a quite expensive amp but its not really suited for metal but the gain is set to 10 but its still not crunchy enough for stuff like sabbath. So thats why I was thinking of buying a pedal.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
The problem I found with amps is that unless you are spending a hell of a lot of money it's very difficult to get an amp that will run effectively all the way from clean to very high gain. I like the distortions offered on my modified Marshall DSL401 but it won't go far enough for modern high gain so for that I will need to go with a pedal. I'm not sure which one to go for yet but it will probably either be a Tubescreamer to boost the lead channel or a Seymour Duncan Metal Mayhem to use on the clean channel.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by NoobOnZone
but won't a pedal give me a nicer distortion as compared to a built in one?

well make sure you know the difference between distortion vs od.

but it'll give you a different distortion as compared to the "built in" one.

so it depends on ur music style and the amp you're talking about.

because in some cases the tube amp needs help. and in some cases it doesnt.
and in all cases it very much depends on if we are trying to get heavy tones, rock or od-ing cleans.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

err, overdrive boosts tube amps? can someone re explain this stuff?

and...whats the diff between a normal overdrive pedal and a tube overdrive like the bad monkey? or is ''tube overdrive'' just a name?
Quote by NoobOnZone

and...whats the diff between a normal overdrive pedal and a tube overdrive like the bad monkey? or is ''tube overdrive'' just a name?

Just a name. Same thing, unless they actually contain a tube (HT-Drive, etc.)
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by NoobOnZone

The distortion an overdrive pedal produces has similar characteristics to tube overdrive, therefore they can be used very effectively to enhance and complement the amps natural distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have to use both because I have a 100 watt Marshall, even with an attenuator most of the overdrive is through a pedal. Best tone ever though.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
u cant not use the built in distortion on a tubey. it should be a federal crime.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by NoobOnZone
do you guys use the built in distortion in your tube amps, or do you guys use the clean channel and stuff it with pedals?

because, i can now either get myself a number of pedals to help boost my tone and get a simple good amp in the future (either SS or all tube, i don't know), OR, save up now and get myself a really good tube amp...

and, i've got a couple of pedals lined up in my mind already...

Bad Monkey
Crunchbox or Little big muff pi
ISP Decimator noise reduction
Barber Tone press
DD7

well...it MIGHT be in order..but i'll never know...i might end up getting the DD7 first..oh well,what do you guys think?

Why would you wanna use a pedal on a good tube? Tubes have the most crunchy,most solid and loudest distortion. I just tried a Peavy one today with a '92 stratocaster. I loved it and played through that amp for bout 1/2 hour at Blackwood. Simply stunning tone. Anyway if you cant afford a good tube, and have trouble deciding with pedals, try the Line 6 POD series. Great and wide tone from that red thing. I simply fell in love with it at City Music. If you want you can PM me for more details. Otherwise, try looking at the Ibanez Tubescreamer.

Cheers!
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by Gordita Supreme
It's a crime to use pedals for distortion on a tube...

it's not. it depends on the pedal and the amp. i use a distortion pedal (an HBE big D) with my valve junior, as it doesn't get heavy enough on its own, even when cranked (and with the big D i can get pretty heavy even at low volumes). i would agree, though, that if you normally use distortion, to get an amp which does the distortion tone you want, more or less, out of the box if at all possible.

Quote by jj1565
well make sure you know the difference between distortion vs od.

but it'll give you a different distortion as compared to the "built in" one.

so it depends on ur music style and the amp you're talking about.

because in some cases the tube amp needs help. and in some cases it doesnt.
and in all cases it very much depends on if we are trying to get heavy tones, rock or od-ing cleans.

agreed. it depends on what tone you're after, what the amp is, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always use the amp distortion (I'm not a fan of pedals)! I bought my Randall RH150G3 because of it's amazing distortion/sound and when I got my first EMG equipped guitar it really delievered nice distorted tones!

Randall would might be the choise for you?! It's not super expensive and it sounds really good. The RH150G3 is a hybrid amp, so you get the heavy distortion from solid state amps with the warmth of a tube amp. A full tube amp is still number 1, but the Randall is a cheap alternative to a full tube amp.

Sometime in the future I will buy an ENGL Invader, but for now my Randall does the trick!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Quote by stratdud39
well im getting a fender blues junior(unsure if its hot rod or not), and i NEED to use distortion pedals with it cuz it doesnt really have much on it.

The Blues Jr. is in the hot rod series but it's unlike the rest of the hot rods. It's amazing. And it does get a lot of overdrive when the preamp is cranked. I'm not sure what style of music you play or how much distortion you're looking for. just boost the already overdriven amp with a bad monkey or something
Dude, of course we use the distortion. Just get a good tube amp with good distortion. Natural tube distortion > pedal any day of the week.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by GuitarGuy X
Why would you wanna use a pedal on a good tube? Tubes have the most crunchy,most solid and loudest distortion. I just tried a Peavy one today with a '92 stratocaster. I loved it and played through that amp for bout 1/2 hour at Blackwood. Simply stunning tone. Anyway if you cant afford a good tube, and have trouble deciding with pedals, try the Line 6 POD series. Great and wide tone from that red thing. I simply fell in love with it at City Music. If you want you can PM me for more details. Otherwise, try looking at the Ibanez Tubescreamer.

Cheers!

i've already got myself a bad monkey...and you're from Singapore right? hehe,i was looking at blackwood for effects that day...

anyways...i think now,i'll just keep my bad monkey for a while...save up for the dd7, a chorus,probably boss ce-5...a barber tone press *i doupt you guys have heard of it?* and the MXR 6 band eq...

of course,with the saving up for a tube amp...recommendations on an average one
?
Sort of. I'm all about power amp overdrive, man. Oh yeah.

But I use the OD channel and a booster when I need to keep it down. Sounds fine to me.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
It's a crime to use pedals for distortion on a tube...

agreed.

sick setup btw
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
I bought my amps FOR the distortion.

I would use an OD pedal

but not a distortion pedal on a tube amp
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by whiteraven119
The onboard distortion on both gain channels of my Bugera 333XL are incredible.

I've never played a tube amp that I thought needed a separate distortion stompbox. Maybe only as a boost, but never on the clean channel as the only distortion.

this.

bugera is a very good sounding cheap wall paint stripper, if you get what i mean . look into it.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Quote by Punkstar_13

but not a distortion pedal on a tube amp

some distortion pedals sound good thru some tube amps.
you shouldnt limit yourself.

you can even use an OD thru a solid state.

it's all trial and error.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
some distortion pedals sound good thru some tube amps.
you shouldnt limit yourself.

you can even use an OD thru a solid state.

it's all trial and error.

Distortion and overdrive pedals as a boost are 2 totally different stories.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
depends. if i only need one level of dist. for a song, i'll use my tube's dist. but if i need two levels, ill use my tube for the lower gain, and my pedals for higher gain
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
get an overdrive pedal, and use it to boost the dirty channel
Quote by Connah
this.

bugera is a very good sounding cheap wall paint stripper, if you get what i mean . look into it.

u lost me here, can some one explain
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
u lost me here, can some one explain

I believe he's saying it's loud as fuck.
Page 1 of 2