As I've been getting more and more into prog (I can't bring myself to write verse/chorus/verse/chorus) I've been wondering... how have you prog bands gotten out into the world and promoted yourself?
I've talked with a few people, and one, a fellow music writer, told me he keeps his songs short so his listeners don't get bored with a really long song. I can understand this because a friend of mine told me some song he was listening to (7 minutes) was long and BAWWWW I just finished recording one 7:23 (even though it sucks and I'm never releasing it, my songs sometimes have a good length to them).
Even my first (decent) song I recorded was a little over five mintues. I played it for my mom and she told me it was too long. Yet popular bands like Coheed and Cambria (who have mainstream popularity... or at least I think they do) are pretty prog and regular people love them.
So how do you prog guys with your hour long ensambles manage to make it out in the world with your long music?
any popular band is popular because they write songs people want to hear.

generally, the mainstream crowd likes fast music that sounds dirty as hell, songs that makes them move around, and makes them jump and scream.. you dont want to bore a crowd to death with a slow song thats 10 minutes long,. most people dont like slow long songs. maybe you do, but if you want to get a crowd to like you, you should play songs that they want to hear.

lets put it this way... if you can get a crowd to mosh.. then youre good
Different transitions to different sections, like a slow melodic one with vocals to a fast energy filled place using single notes graduating lower and heavier. Its gotta climax. The average person will get bored if there arent much lyrics so make sure there is enough to fill your song.
Quote by RPGoof
As I've been getting more and more into prog (I can't bring myself to write verse/chorus/verse/chorus) I've been wondering... how have you prog bands gotten out into the world and promoted yourself?
I've talked with a few people, and one, a fellow music writer, told me he keeps his songs short so his listeners don't get bored with a really long song. I can understand this because a friend of mine told me some song he was listening to (7 minutes) was long and BAWWWW I just finished recording one 7:23 (even though it sucks and I'm never releasing it, my songs sometimes have a good length to them).
Even my first (decent) song I recorded was a little over five mintues. I played it for my mom and she told me it was too long. Yet popular bands like Coheed and Cambria (who have mainstream popularity... or at least I think they do) are pretty prog and regular people love them.
So how do you prog guys with your hour long ensambles manage to make it out in the world with your long music?

Easy, you just play to audiences who appreciate hour long ensambles.
I know that sounds flippant but it's true, it doesn't matter which genre you enter into, there's always going to be a scene happening somewhere that covers that genre, whether it's folk, classical, rock, punk, emo or progressive. You just have to find it, which is pretty simple, just look up the gig listings of any other progressive bands you know of.
Try seeing if you can do some supporting slots for more established prog acts.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 6, 2008,
Since you used the Coheed & Cambria example, I'm going to use that for my example as well. See, on every album, Claudio Sanchez writes one or two songs that are more mainstream-friendly. Those songs are released as singles. Second Stage Turbine Blade had Devil in Jersey City, In Keeping Secrets had A Favor House Atlantic and Blood Red Summer, etc.

Most people who "love" Coheed & Cambria have never actually heard their true music. They have heard about 5 of their most popular songs. You could always take the approach they have done, but that would raise the questions whether that would be considered selling out.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....