OK i have been playing almost two years pretty solidly and im beginning to doubt that i should even play anymore, its starting to piss me off, and it has to do with soloing. yea i know your supposed to play it slow bla bla bla, i do that all the ****ing time, and ive been going through a not too hard solo (angry again - megadeth) ive been playing it a week just the solo, three hours a day or so slowly, and i cant play it any faster. it's not just with this solo i can barely do the ****ing solo to iron man and i actually sat down and tried learning that for ****ing ever, and if you guys say its not all about speed its about technique, I CAN HIT THE ****ING NOTES THE SPEED JUST NEVER ****ING COMES!!!!!!!!!! and it gets really annoying when you can just play along with a song when the solo comes its ****ing annoying, im starting to get fed up any suggetsions on how i can gain speed cuz this is actually becoming a serious problem!
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Learn to be happy when your playing slow, then you can be fast. Try some blues, it's very slow.

Does that help?
meh
ive been happy playing slow until i flipped about five minutes ago and now i realize that i cant play anything for shit!
Quote by andy_thomas
practacing major scale modes= speed gain

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
are you sure your not just crazy? like how your profile says that you quite the piano October 2008? i'm not meaning to offend you, but i just have to throw that out there...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
yea i would imprvise myself but thats the other thing i can't i try but it ends up sounding like my guitar is taking a shit, and i cant calm down right this minute cuz its just one of those things were you snap and you got to let your anger out so i decided hey instead of hitting things lets release it here and maybe get some help too
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by joshua029
are you sure your not just crazy? like how your profile says that you quite the piano October 2008? i'm not meaning to offend you, but i just have to throw that out there...

Yes i quit that because i had enough of getting lessons i still casullay play it and i definately enjoy guitar better, and maybe i am crazy who the hell knows

and to the people saying use a metronomei did all summer because i was told too and it didnt do much, for twon months of that i expected more than what i got
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Imalius
yea i would imprvise myself but thats the other thing i can't i try but it ends up sounding like my guitar is taking a shit, and i cant calm down right this minute cuz its just one of those things were you snap and you got to let your anger out so i decided hey instead of hitting things lets release it here and maybe get some help too

TAKE A PILL
just take it STEP BY STEP
be CALM
and if u dont already, take guitar lessons.
....and possibly guidence
I don't think any guitarist can one day say, "I think I'm going to master soloing today" and have it mastered in that time period. As a matter of fact, no one can say that they'll have it mastered within the next year. It should take years for you to develop your speed and your style. Don't get frustrated so easily, and relax.
you know what, you needs to tough it out and keep playing slow

when i wanted to learn to sweep 1 year ago (i've been playing for 2 1/2 years) i found a relitivley simple sweep (3 string) so i started playing this same ****ing sweep every ****nig day for 30 minutes slowly with no look of getting any faster, and guess what, 1 year later i finaly can do that ****ing sweep, and 4 string, and 5 sting sweeps at decent speed, it took me 1 ****ING year to learn 1 technique, can you imagine how tedious that was, hearing that same thing every day?

you need to play slow, i know it is said alot but it helps SO much.

if an impatient mother****er like me can do this, than shurly you can, guitar is not something you pick up instantly, and a semi tough solo can take more than 1 week (1 year for the outro solo to bark at the moon for me)
ok well the time lapse of my anger just finished and im calm no releasing anger by not hitting things was definately a plus , and i know i need to play things slow ok ill just chill now and play that was ill i guess i really need this thread was for a little anger release im sorry if i seem like an ass, because mostly likely i am, but i just have a short temper so sorry once again and thanks you guys
Quote by andy_thomas
maybe try another song so get your confidence back up and come back to it dude. it sounds like you're pretty impatient but hang in there. you'll get it sooner or later...

oh yeah, its only september of 08, you couldn't have already quit the piano in oct of 08. you may be planning to, but def not achieved that yet...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Dance_of_Death
when i wanted to learn to sweep 1 year ago (i've been playing for 2 1/2 years) i found a relitivley simple sweep (3 string) so i started playing this same ****ing sweep every ****nig day for 30 minutes slowly with no look of getting any faster, and guess what, 1 year later i finaly can do that ****ing sweep, and 4 string, and 5 sting sweeps at decent speed, it took me 1 ****ING year to learn 1 technique, can you imagine how tedious that was, hearing that same thing every day?

wow that sucks ive been playing for 3 years now and about a year and a half ago i decided to try sweeping i got extremly stoned and just played an 8th note really simple 5 string arppegio at 125bpm

now 8 months later i can sweep 7 string 16th note complicated arpeggios at just under 180 bpm.

sorry if im bragging im severly drugged up now cause i just got my wisdom teeth out.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by joshua029
maybe try another song so get your confidence back up and come back to it dude. it sounds like you're pretty impatient but hang in there. you'll get it sooner or later...

oh yeah, its only september of 08, you couldn't have already quit the piano in oct of 08. you may be planning to, but def not achieved that yet...

wow i cant believe i wrote that october 2008 holy shit i feel like a complete dumbass!
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
wow that sucks ive been playing for 3 years now and about a year and a half ago i decided to try sweeping i got extremly stoned and just played an 8th note really simple 5 string arppegio at 125bpm

now 8 months later i can sweep 7 string 16th note complicated arpeggios at just under 180 bpm.

sorry if im bragging im severly drugged up now cause i just got my wisdom teeth out.

me going from playing just greenday and blink 182 to 5 string arppegios in 1 1/2 years is a pretty good achievement if a do say so myself
Quote by Dance_of_Death
me going from playing just greenday and blink 182 to 5 string arppegios in 1 1/2 years is a pretty good achievement if a do say so myself

fuck greenday and blink 182, the human abstract and protest the hero is where its at

but all in all that is a good achievement but i always tryed playing stuff out of my grasp like necrophagist and the like i just slow it down a little and play it over and over and that is how i get so good when im high because i cant rember how many times ive played a riff or sweep etc

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
fuck greenday and blink 182, the human abstract and protest the hero is where its at

yep, and thats why i havn't played a single greenday or blink 182 song for 1 1/2 years just meloldic death metal, power metal, neoclassical shred and blues rock for me

never heard of those bands though, what are they like?
metronome, metronome, metronome.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by Dance_of_Death
yep, and thats why i havn't played a single greenday or blink 182 song for 1 1/2 years just meloldic death metal, power metal, neoclassical shred and blues rock for me

never heard of those bands though, what are they like?

well they are both amazing bands and they are proggresive bands protest the hero have crazy guitar playing not that it is really hard to do its just psycho like all over the place. they go from tapping to sweeping to riffing all in a period of about 25 seconds and stuff.if you are going to listen to them id suggest

human abstract- mea culpa
and
protest the hero- sequoia forest (or maybe bloodmeat)

and you said you were getting into progresive and if you havnt you should check out dream theater, and alot of people i know dont think that 3 inches of blood are progressive but they have a very progressive sound so maybe youd like them too.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
well they are both amazing bands and they are proggresive bands protest the hero have crazy guitar playing not that it is really hard to do its just psyco like all over the place. they go from tapping to sweeping to riffing all in a period of about 25 seconds and stuff.

hmmm progressive, i'll have to check them out, i've been getting into progressive lately (king crimson, yes) and i'd like to find some more bands
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
well they are both amazing bands and they are proggresive bands protest the hero have crazy guitar playing not that it is really hard to do its just psycho like all over the place. they go from tapping to sweeping to riffing all in a period of about 25 seconds and stuff.if you are going to listen to them id suggest

human abstract- mea culpa
and
protest the hero- sequoia forest (or maybe bloodmeat)

yea they are pretty tight bands ive seen human abstract live, and my boss was the one who took me it was sick and there were the band that brought be into more hardcore music

AND PROTEST THE HERO IS JUST AMAZING! and from canada haha score!
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Imalius
yea they are pretty tight bands ive seen human abstract live, and my boss was the one who took me it was sick and there were the band that brought be into more hardcore music

AND PROTEST THE HERO IS JUST AMAZING! and from canada haha score!

i'm listening to the first song right now, i really like the time sigature switches, i'll look more into these to bands

thread successfully hijacked
just out of curiosity Imalius , what is your sig talking about?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
just out of curiosity Imalius , what is your sig talking about?

I don't even remeber ill i remember was seeing that and thinking i must sig it

and yes thread sucesfully hijacked im calm now, and playing a different song just to keep me from frustrating myself ill go back to angry agin a bit later
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Imalius
I don't even remeber ill i remember was seeing that and thinking i must sig it

and yes thread sucesfully hijacked im calm now, and playing a different song just to keep me from frustrating myself ill go back to angry agin a bit later

just don't get ANGRY AGAIN

BA-DUM-TSH

how about you learn a tout le monde, another megadeth song with an easier solo which might prove easier then angry again.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
how about you learn a tout le monde, another megadeth song with an easier solo which might prove easier then angry again.

OMG THAT SONG IS AMAZING!!!

Howver it more so my friend wants me to learn angry again and i like the song, it so we can jam to angry again

and Dance of death cheesy but still quite amusing!
Quote by andy_thomas
Metronome plus pick+fret exercises and scales (both box style and ascending and descending along the fretboard). Start low, raise it a few clicks once you start to get that speed down. Part of its that you except it all to come with mindless repetition. Guitar is a combination of the mind, body, and spirit. You gotta use all three for your melody, your rhythm, your feel. All of it matters, and you're going to be a shit guitarist until you learn to put all three together. Learn some basic riffs and the like first. Might i susgest Gong Li (Red hot chili peppers) or the RHCP cover of DR. Funkenstein?

Both have simple riffs that are easy to set to the metronome practice.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
First I think you need to calm down *insert link of angry german kid on youtube here, that's what you remind me off*

Second get a metronome. Practice. If you've been playing for that long and can't solo, it's going to hit you like a brick when it does and you'll be so much better. Remember, you have to be able to play slowly before you can play it fast.
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
practacing major scale modes= speed gain

at playing scale patterns -therefore not really much use at all.

TS, you're too impatient. You're trying to force yourself to paly faster which just results in you screwing up, and the harder you try the worse it's going to get. If you haven't learned to play something slowly you've got zero chance of playing it at full speed.

Speed doesn't develop over days or weeks, it takes months and years, and if you haven't been practicing correctly these last three years then you can pretty much forget about them in terms of what you're trying to achieve currently. Just focus on plying things accurately, if you have to slow down to a snail's pace to achieve that then that's what you have to do. Speed doesn't really exist as an aspect of your playing, it's simply a result of other factors like accuracy, dexterity, stamina and knowledge. Those are all things you have control over and can actively work to achieve. You have zero control over speed though, you'll only ever be as fast as those other factors allow you to be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com