i searched this for this already and didnt find it

i came across something called the key wheel
can someone explain how to use it
that's the circle of fifth's dude, with a bunch of crap around it overexplaining the already self explanatory circle of fifth's
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
the smaller circles are the major keys. in the circle, the notes are colored.
black=major
red=minor
green=diminished.
this tells you what chords fit into the specific key. and therefore the chords you should play in that key.

below those cirls are the key signatures for each key. self explanatory, but I'll explain anyways. the key signature tells you what notes in the key are flat or sharp.

as for the larger circle. it tells you the circle of fifths like we've all seen. but I can't figure out what the numbers and rings inside it are supposed to mean. I'll look into this and fill you guys in soon.

I hope this helps at least a little.
thats a deep one, try finding a basic one and it might make shackkiddys post easier to understand
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Thanks Shackiddy, I didn't feel like touching that with all the extra stuff. . . basic harmony is retarded anyways, necessary, but once you learn classical music with all your ii of the V chord and crap like that, the basic scale harmony would be close to useless.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

the center of the big circle is talking about the modes. it's hard to read the words next to the 1 in each circle, but it is mode related.

as for what it is saying, I'm not entirely sure. but it seems that the series of numbers under each key is trying to tell you how the mode sounds.
black=major
red=minor
green=diminished
just like before.

I'm gonna say don't worry about anything but the circle of fifths, and forget this key wheel. this is, like previously stated, more complicated than it needs to be.
It looks like a musical slide rule without the slide rule. . . I'm former music production major. . . and honestly, I'm glad I'd never seen that piece of crap before.. . . . it does state the modes within the little star though.
Quote by paranoid joker

Did it come with any instructions? Do you need access to a few candles, a goat, and virgin in order to make it work?
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
An easy to use Interactive Circle of Fifths

http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Ibanez RG5ERX1
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender Acoustic
Fender Supersonic Combo
Boss TU-2 / CS-3 / DD-20 / Vox Satchurator / Hardwire CR-7 / Vox Big Bad Wah / ISP Decimator G-String
Quote by CarpUK
Did it come with any instructions? Do you need access to a few candles, a goat, and virgin in order to make it work?

exactly what I thought.

But I actually the understand the one nbmack posted
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Quote by XxDre09xX
exactly what I thought.

But I actually the understand the one nbmack posted

If you thought mine was helpful checkout the interactive one posted above you. It allows you to change both key and mode which the one i posted doesn't. So remember if you change the key, than you change the position of the I , IV, V, etc... on the circle.
Quote by nbmack
If you thought mine was helpful checkout the interactive one posted above you. It allows you to change both key and mode which the one i posted doesn't. So remember if you change the key, than you change the position of the I , IV, V, etc... on the circle.

ohhhh so is that where the 2-5-1 chord progressions come from?
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
I'm a former music production major and had to take many theory courses, and I had never seen that cluster f*** of a circle of fifth's.
Quote by paranoid joker