So I have been looking at buying my first tube amp. My guitar teacher suggested the Carvin x100b reissue and said it was the best deal for the money (1000$). I am currently in high school and working at Wendy's haha, so even 1000$ is an arm and leg right now. So I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this amp or had a better suggestion. I like to play anything from blues to metal. I do gig every now and then too it needs to sound good loud. Right now I am playing my Line 6 Spider 2 so i really need something more.
hm... consider looking used?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well I've been advised to get an orange tiny terror second hand which is about $500au, which is like $450 american(not sure cbf converting). And I have an EH metal muff on the way and they should be a good combination. I don't know what I'm going to do about a cab though, I'll find something.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Well idk the first thing about tube amps really haha, except that they sound amazing (much better than my line 6). So where should I star looking even in the "used" field.
Noy any huge gigs, like the biggest was two hundred but thats just because i was asked to play at some church thing. The kind of music my band does ranges from Hard Rock to very clean stuff, so i really do need something versatile. I would rather have an amp that is shimmering clean and then just buy an overdrive pedal for when i need to rock.
man if i can suggest, the peavey valveking is amazing. great distortion for metal and really loud. not too expensive, i think anywhere from 550 to 800 bucks or so
I am awesome

I agree with myself

Third Ninja Commander of the UG Society of Ninjas.
with a grand, why the hell would be look at a valveking?

but umm, take a look at a peavey classic 30?
Quote by Ghold125
with a grand, why the hell would be look at a valveking?

but umm, take a look at a peavey classic 30?

Anyone else see the irony here? Classic 30's are nice but for 1000, you can do better. Enough bandwagon shit. Classic 30's are not the end all amp.

You really need to be more specific with genres. Blues to metal doesn't really help. I play both blues and metal but I play a lot of blues and just dabble in metal. Can we get some of your favorite bands and styles you play the most?
Although maybe you could find a used JSX if you really need something that versitile.
Quote by zacharydak
Well I've been advised to get an orange tiny terror second hand which is about $500au, which is like $450 american(not sure cbf converting). And I have an EH metal muff on the way and they should be a good combination. I don't know what I'm going to do about a cab though, I'll find something.
I would suggest getting a boost or OD with that Tiny Terror as opposed to the metal muff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

There is a very good example of the Tiny Terror pulling off metal with a boost.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by acdcrocks0323
My vote goes for a Mesa F-50.

I always forget about the damn Mesa F-series and then you suggest it in all the ****ing threads
My vote goes to this

i REALLY love my Marshall JCM 900. although it was $1400 used. with a MXR 108 10 band EQ it`ll do pretty much anything you want, it`s got such a silky clean channel and a very gainy OD channel when boosted with EMG`s sounds like it`ll rip your face off. although low end isn`t this amps sweet spot the MXR 108 helps ALOT with that. but it`s a WICKED thrash metal amp with EMG`s.
Quote by Mike9200
man if i can suggest, the peavey valveking is amazing. great distortion for metal and really loud. not too expensive, i think anywhere from 550 to 800 bucks or so

I'm sorry? Peavey valveking? Great distortion for metal? I have seen the VK suggested many times in threads but this was always for modding or wit hthe addition of an OD pedal. With these 2 methods its ok but seriously.... I know its a matter of opinion but as an Ex owner of the Peavey Valveking 112..... On its own this amp doesnt even get CLOSE to metal or decent distortion at all. The cleans arent that nice either they are just ok to decent. This amp is not amazing by any means IMHO. Have you ever played this amp or are you just jumping on the band wagon because if you have honestly found a setting you like on this amp for metal more power to you, I respect your own opinion but I seriously dont think you have ever really played this amp. Its ok on its own but there are SO many better options especially for 800$.

Anyways the mesa F-50 will be perfect for you TS. A truely "amazing" amp.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Well if it is just hard rock and super cleans I recommend you look at a Traynor TCV40. I have one and love it to death. It was $450 used. Not voiced for metal, but has great cleans. The overdrive is very good too, just not enough gain/wrong voicing for chugga-chugga stuff.
I suggest you go to a music store near you and try out some tube amps and see what you like best. We can all sit here all day and list our favorite amps but that won't do you any good except as a starting point of where to look. I suggest you go to a store (or even better go to several stores) and ask them if you can take a guitar (pick one that is close to what you have) and try out some amps. Then when you are plugged in to an amp mess with the settings (I mean turn up all the knobs except obviously for volume) and then play what you know on it and see if you can make it sound like something you like. I also highly recommend you take someone with you who either plays an instrument, knows a lot about music, or has great ears. As you said its a lot of money so I wouldn't make it without trying some amps out first.