Hi all,
I just moved from playing acoustic guitar to the electric one. However I don't understand anything about its wonderfull ability. Here's my question about amp and other things:
1. On some tab they said initial vol mf-f-ff-fff what the heck is that? How do I set my guitar to this?
2. What is the diffirence between Distorsion guitar and Overdrive guitar?How do I set them to this mode?
3. What are the utilities of guitar pedal? Should I buy one?
4. What is an artificial harmonic (A.H.)? How can I do that?

Thank you for taking time to answer my noob question. I hope I posted it at the right place!
1) I have no idea...

2) The sound is slightly different. You might be able to find clips of the two... I know you can go to the Boss website and hear sound clips of their Distortion and Overdrive pedals... they sound different to me?

3) Depends, what do you need? If you want to augment distortion/overdrive then a pedal can do that. If you want to tune through a pedal, you can do that. If you want phaser and other effects pedals can do that too.

4) This one is a bit of a toughy. It involves fretting a string (I find the A & D strings on a standard EADGBe setup to be the easiest) and then while you hit the string with your pick, you run the inside of your thumb (the side closest to your body) against the string. What you're looking to do is stop the string suddenly sort of like a natural harmonic would do, except you can get all sorts of weird sounds from it... Cannibal Corpse and Zakk Wylde are great examples of this.

*EDIT to #4*

It's not easy to get on the first try, and then once you get the technique down you have to actually master application not execution. Just a few things to note, high gain/treble make it easier, max your tone and I find the bridge pickup by FAR the easiest. It's possible on the neck pickup for me, but they usually sound awkward, and using both it's impossible.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Sep 6, 2008,
for question #1.

It's A way of writing dynamics. Its what they use in sheet music.

FFF- Ridiculously loud
FF- Very Loud
F- Loud
MF- Kinda Loud
MP- Kinda Soft
P- Soft
PP- Very Soft
PPP- Almost too soft to hear.

Quote by Tiefenja
for question #1.

It's A way of writing dynamics. Its what they use in sheet music.

FFF- Ridiculously loud
FF- Very Loud
F- Loud
MF- Kinda Loud
MP- Kinda Soft
P- Soft
PP- Very Soft
PPP- Almost too soft to hear.

or, to put it more simply:
FFF: 11 plus a volume boost.
FF:Volume on 8 or 9
F: Volume around 7-8
MF: Volume on 6-7
MP:Volume around 5-6
P: Volume at 4-5
PP: Volume at 3-4
PPP: Volume at 1-2

#2: Distortion guitar is simply extreme OD guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Stratocasterfan
Hi all,
1. On some tab they said initial vol mf-f-ff-fff what the heck is that? How do I set my guitar to this?

As others have said, it's just a "loudness" thing. It comes from the Italian expression terms that you get over sheet music (ff = fortissimo = give it some welly mate!). A quick trawl around the net doesn't seem to turn up a decent definition for "fff", so the best I can manage is "f'ing fortissimo" = spin the volume on everything up to the max and hide the cat.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
1.that I dont know..
2.Well its different levels of "how dirty your guitar sounds. Overdrive would be lighter while Distrotion is more of the heavier stuff.(think of it as how dark a colour is...light green-dark green)
3.Well since you just started out you don't realy need any effect pedals as logn as your amp has some distortion built in and yeah.
4.hard to explain...i can't even do it that well myself
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Seems like another example of a fella who makes a post and never checks it lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."