It is ok to Cover someone elses song but do your own solo. I'm not sure if it is disrespectful or what. That might sound a little ridiculus though. I was wondering cause i do it when i just jam with my friends, but its it ok live like at a gig.
Some peopes solos are either too hard or i just dont like them. So at little advice would help. Thanks
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
if it's a classic that everybody knows, you should probably learn the original. like if a band played "You Shook me All Night Long" but changed the solo, it just wouldn't be the same. Some songs just need it, others it doesn't matter as much.
use your own discretion
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
It's socially acceptable, yes. People do it all the time. Should it be done, in my opinion? Yes, but only if it is recreated, instead of duplicated. It's not like if you play a different solo that makes it ok, but you should. You should also put your own twist to it. After all it will make you a better musician, it is more pleasurable to listen to, and if you credit the composer, it is very respectful. If someone did a cover of a song I wrote, I'd be overjoyed.
Quote by food1010
It's socially acceptable, yes. People do it all the time. Should it be done, in my opinion? Yes, but only if it is recreated, instead of duplicated. It's not like if you play a different solo that makes it ok, but you should. You should also put your own twist to it. After all it will make you a better musician, it is more pleasurable to listen to, and if you credit the composer, it is very respectful. If someone did a cover of a song I wrote, I'd be overjoyed.

I agree, everything you do should have your own twist on it. Playing something note-for-note can be cool but it's not as creative as any little twist you can add to it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
yeah i have always liked to cover songs but play my own solo because even though its their song that was their solo and i want to make my own. I try to stay accurate when i play and try to play as close to them but play my own little deal with it.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Unless you're very much changing the style of the songs (listen to "The Goo Goo Dolls" cover of "Gimmie Shelter), you should keep the same feel to solo if you improvise it. For instance, in the aforementioned "You Shook me All Night Long," you should probably learn the beginning lick, but then do some Angus-style blues soloing; don't go Yngwie on the song!

If you're lucky enough to be in a band capable of pulling off "Stairway to Heaven," however, you should play that solo basically the way Page did on that wonderful day in the recording studio.

As a general rule, keep the recognizable parts of the solo in tact, but improvise in an appropriate style during the parts that aren't as recognizable.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Unless you're very much changing the style of the songs (listen to "The Goo Goo Dolls" cover of "Gimmie Shelter), you should keep the same feel to solo if you improvise it. For instance, in the aforementioned "You Shook me All Night Long," you should probably learn the beginning lick, but then do some Angus-style blues soloing; don't go Yngwie on the song!

If you're lucky enough to be in a band capable of pulling off "Stairway to Heaven," however, you should play that solo basically the way Page did on that wonderful day in the recording studio.

As a general rule, keep the recognizable parts of the solo in tact, but improvise in an appropriate style during the parts that aren't as recognizable.

Ok you're saying to keep some of the original parts of the songs and just improvise the rest. But on hughly important song to keep it all original. Ok that helped alot dude.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
I heard someone cover G'N'R song and they did it really well except the solo bombed. I can't remember the song I just remember it was G'N'R and when the guitarist got half way through the solo he skipped the best part.

I got the impression it was beyond the guitarists capability.

It totally sucked. Complete anticlimax.

Make sure that if the solo takes the song somewhere you achieve the same kind of result in your new solo.
Si