Page 1 of 2
So now i'm finally a Junior in highschool and nearly every teacher is telling me "You have to decide what you want to be in life NOW!". Including everyone in my family, who always ask "So, have you decided what you are going to study in college?".

I still have NO clue what I want to study in college. I honestly just never cared enough, but now it seems like I have to start looking into possible careers. So I come to you guys to see what exactly did you study/are studying in college, and what you plan on doing with your lives. (Details about what you are studying would be nice )

Come on Pit, I need ideas!
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Most college students don't know what they want to study in college, don't worry about it
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Truth is that most people don't really know what they want to do untill they are in their late 20s or early 30s.

I am studying Business Management, majoring in Entreprenurialship. I like this degree because it gives you one hell of a lot of leeway. You can choose what kind of business you want depending on what interests you.
Very useful degree.
- An undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in progress.
- Currently working with a start-up in web development.
- Plan to specialize in hardware and work for a cool hardware company after undergrad.
- Plan to work for 2-3 years, then either do a masters in CS or EE or an MBA.
- Hope to work for NASA's space program eventually and do that until I have enough money saved up to do whatever the hell I want the rest of my life.
- Then go back to school, get a PhD in mythology/archaeology and research/teach that for the rest of my life.

It's a pretty solid game-plan, I think. Of course, I'll change my mind here and there and go off on wild tangents, maybe become a lumberjack, but I'm adaptable to any lifestyle, as long as I have some food when I am hungry.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
im studying history, and i really love it, but i have NO idea what i want to do when i graduate.
I have no idea what I'm gonna do once I finish school.
If you major in music, most the money is in teaching, which I'm not particularly interested.
Computer engineering/science seems pretty tight though.
But I would love to play french horn in some sort of large group.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
I would like to be a musician, writer, teacher, or all three.

Although, I may follow my father's footsteps and become a pimpin' engineer.
Forensic Science and Toxicological Chemistry

its awesome.

why? i love chemistry, and the idea that i can use chemistry to help put bad people where they belong and help out humanity in some way makes me feel good.

edit: sorry, forgot to put what my plans are...

well, after i get a BS undergrad, i plan on getting a master in forensic science right away. then i can work in a private(or public) crime lab as a forensic chemist I, or as a toxicologist, or even teach at the undergraduate level.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Sep 6, 2008,
Well, i'm still in high school and i'm thinking about being an orthodontist. I don't know what classes to take for that. I'm also taking some business classes as a backup.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by daytripper75
im studying history, and i really love it, but i have NO idea what i want to do when i graduate.

--> Masters --> PhD --> Research/teach. That's what I want to do with Mythology. I would imagine it being great fun to be a teacher of these kinds of subjects.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Seryaph
Truth is that most people don't really know what they want to do untill they are in their late 20s or early 30s.

I am studying Business Management, majoring in Entreprenurialship. I like this degree because it gives you one hell of a lot of leeway. You can choose what kind of business you want depending on what interests you.
Very useful degree.

Aye, same here man. Loving it right now. Recently got a work study job in the Political Science department and am seriously considering adding that as a minor. As for what I'm gonna do, who knows, I've been looking at internships for next year in music labels and studios or my backup plan of studying abroad in Japan and going back once I graduate.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Quote by ezlntrooper
Aye, same here man. Loving it right now. Recently got a work study job in the Political Science department and am seriously considering adding that as a minor. As for what I'm gonna do, who knows, I've been looking at internships for next year in music labels and studios or my backup plan of studying abroad in Japan and going back once I graduate.

Hell yeah, it is badass. I am enjoying it as well.

That is kind of weird, I am also thinking about getting an internship in a music label or studio or something. I was also seriously considering teaching English in China or Japan once I got my bachelor's.

Eerie.
I live in Nepal and here college starts at 11th grade...yea its weird!!!
and I am studying English, Maths, Hotel Management, Accounting and Economics.. I'm in 12th grade...
I think I'm gonna study Information Management...
im majoring in mechanical engineering.

its the most broad of the engineering fields, look into it at least. fyi, I have no clue what I want to do after I graduate...

plenty room for creativity and problem solving in engineering applications, and there's always other options that may not be so obvious like going into sales, you could minor in marketing or something and then be able to sell a product and be very knowledgeable about the dis/advantages of the part you're selling. Also, every factory needs a maintenance dept. and engineers probably head up those depts. Consulting firms are sweet too.

and if you dont like math, thats ok, trust me it grows on you. I was just indifferent about math in hs, but after you take some higher level courses, you realize math is pretty helpful; you can really figure a lot of sh*t out...

good luck, and if all else fails just pick something, most people don't love their jobs anyways. and thats why there are hobbies, like music
Quote by darkstar2466
--> Masters --> PhD --> Research/teach. That's what I want to do with Mythology. I would imagine it being great fun to be a teacher of these kinds of subjects.

thats what ive been thinking actually.

i love history, and to me, the best way for me to continue enjoying it is to research and teach it. at the university/college level of course. i couldnt stand teaching anything less than that.

of course i still have to find a career to have while im working at getting my masters and PhD.

hopefully i can find work doing research for a university or museum or something. maybe even a government job.
Quote by Seryaph
Hell yeah, it is badass. I am enjoying it as well.

That is kind of weird, I am also thinking about getting an internship in a music label or studio or something. I was also seriously considering teaching English in China or Japan once I got my bachelor's.

Eerie.

holy crap man!
hahaha, I now know who i'll be competing against in the future
lmao, I was looking at some english teacher program this guy told me about that focuses on Japan and Taiwan....
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
They asked me once what I wanted my career to be. I never had thought of it, and didn't really care. Following an 5 year run at community college with graduation nowhere in sight, I withdrew, obtained the largest loan that my credit could afford at the time and opened a bar (it's always been my type of atmosphere, even since I was young), which fortunately took off and I never looked back.
Quote by daytripper75
thats what ive been thinking actually.

i love history, and to me, the best way for me to continue enjoying it is to research and teach it. at the university/college level of course. i couldnt stand teaching anything less than that.

of course i still have to find a career to have while im working at getting my masters and PhD.

hopefully i can find work doing research for a university or museum or something. maybe even a government job.

Dude, if you are actually committed to the subject and are not doing it for the sake of getting a degree, (a lot of history majors do this ) you definitely need to go all thew way to the PhD level. Doing fieldwork, a la obtaining primary sources of texts, letters, artifacts would be so damn cool. Teaching at a good university would be awesome too.

Quote by The Leader
They asked me once what I wanted my career to be. I never had thought of it, and didn't really care. Following an 5 year run at community college with graduation nowhere in sight, I withdrew, obtained the largest loan that my credit could afford at the time and opened a bar (it's always been my type of atmosphere, even since I was young), which fortunately took off and I never looked back.

Can you mail me a pint of your finest IPA?

Pwease?

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I want to be a director. I'm such a hopless f***ing dreamer.

I'm making progress though. If I get there, then I'll let the pit know.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Quote by darkstar2466
Dude, if you are actually committed to the subject and are not doing it for the sake of getting a degree, (a lot of history majors do this ) you definitely need to go all thew way to the PhD level. Doing fieldwork, a la obtaining primary sources of texts, letters, artifacts would be so damn cool. Teaching at a good university would be awesome too.

i know. im not getting a history degree so i can get some completely unrelated job. i know that might be the case at the start, since it might be hard to get a history related job immediately out of school, but in the long run my goal is certainly to do something history related as my career.
Quote by darkstar2466

Can you mail me a pint of your finest IPA?

Pwease?

I've got some Summer Ale stock I'll have to get rid of as fall/winter approaches and the dark ale and stout crowd moves in. There's not much left, but I could guarantee you at least a 6-pack. Ran out of my Pale Ale's for the month, but a new batch is brewing and should be ready in a few weeks.
Go to community college and get a degree in fire science/engineering.
Work as a firefighter for about ten years or so.
During that time I will also go to a pre-law school and study political science.
When I feel I'm ready, try to run for a public office.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
ugh, im going into gr.11, and I have no clue. probably just a working musician, with very little money, and a horrible small apartment and some type of addiction. or if my grandmother starts bugging me about what I want to do, I say go to school to become a music teacher (not even close to her expectations that involve highly advanced mathematics and computers, but what can you do?) Maybe I'll hit it big and become the next SRV or BB King, but I really doubt it.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
don't worry about it now, in college take courses that interest you and hopefully it will lead you to a career that you will like
Aeronautical engineering. In the spring I think I'm going to start pilot lessons. Once I get my degree I hope to get a job at General Dynamics or another large military firm designing jets. Worst case I join the airforce.
Quote by The Leader
I've got some Summer Ale stock I'll have to get rid of as fall/winter approaches and the dark ale and stout crowd moves in. There's not much left, but I could guarantee you at least a 6-pack. Ran out of my Pale Ale's for the month, but a new batch is brewing and should be ready in a few weeks.

Whoa. That would be way cool if you actually shipped me some Summer Ale.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Whoa. That would be way cool if you actually shipped me some Summer Ale.

Whereabouts do you live, city/state wise? Also, I'm not sure what UPS' policy is for shipping alcohol.
Quote by The Leader
Whereabouts do you live, city/state wise? Also, I'm not sure what UPS' policy is for shipping alcohol.

Davis, California. It's near Sacramento. I think postal services offer alcohol delivery. I was looking to order Hobgoblin after UGers were fellating it sometime last month, and actually found some Yahoo! store that ships it.

And regarding careers, how is it owning a bar? And how many different types of beers do you make? Did the bar come with beer making equipment or did you have to buy some heavy duty stuff?

My roommate brews and does 5-gallon batches at a time, but I'm assuming you do at least a barrelful in a single brew.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Sep 6, 2008,
Right now I'm only in year nine but all my focus is on music because when i'm older I want to be a secondary collage music teacher. And I'm inheriting my nan's house just across the road from my school
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by darkstar2466
Davis, California. It's near Sacramento. I think postal services offer alcohol delivery. I was looking to order Hobgoblin after UGers were fellating it sometime last month, and actually found some Yahoo! store that ships it.

And regarding careers, how is it owning a bar? And how many different types of beers do you make? Did the bar come with beer making equipment or did you have to buy some heavy duty stuff?

My roommate brews and does 5-gallon batches at a time, but I'm assuming you do at least a barrelful in a single brew.

Owning a bar is as hectic as it is awesome. You make a lot of contacts as you will end up knowing just about everyone that works in the industry in that general area. The first years were crazy; Incredibly hectic, I can honestly not remember getting more than 2 hours of sleep at a time. As time drew on, I hired a consultant to help, and following his advice, I hired 2 keys of managers, Main and Assistant, to help run the thing.

Lately I've been very hands off, bartending as I see fit, and spending the bulk of my time buried in paperwork; Inventory, supply shipments, the works.

As far as making it, my place is primarily a beer joint, rocking 52 taps of both popular and less than known brews emblazoned with my "Jimmy recommended" emblem. My brewed stuff is only available in bottle and must be asked for. I have a large 25 gallon capacity 2-stage kit that I use once/twice a week to make "seasonal" batches, replenishing what goes quickly and preparing for next months release. Bottling 25 gallons is a bitch, as you would imagine.

All in all though, its decent money and I couldn't be happier. My more laissez-faire approach leads to boredom on occasion, as the bulk of my work is 2-3 hours of paperwork every 2 days or so, but I've remedied this as appointing myself as head bartender and security monitor.

Edit: Also, I'm always looking for more beer. Tell me more of this...hobgoblin.
Last edited by The Leader at Sep 6, 2008,
52!!!!?!

You better not carry pissbeers like Natural and Coors.

But that's sick man. I don't think I have the managerial attitude and commitment to venture out to own a bar... or any other store-like entity for that matter, but I can see it as being an awesome career.

So did you hire brewers or do you do the brewing yourself? And bottling 25 gallons by hand... *gunshot to the head* Takes about an hour if you are going at a fast pace, I'm assuming?

As for Hobgoblin, it's some UK beer. I don't know a thing about it and have never seen it, but I have seen several UKers give it much praise. You'll have to talk to one of them.

And by security monitor, do you mean bouncer?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Jersey_Zombie
So now i'm finally a Junior in highschool and nearly every teacher is telling me "You have to decide what you want to be in life NOW!". Including everyone in my family, who always ask "So, have you decided what you are going to study in college?".

I still have NO clue what I want to study in college. I honestly just never cared enough, but now it seems like I have to start looking into possible careers. So I come to you guys to see what exactly did you study/are studying in college, and what you plan on doing with your lives. (Details about what you are studying would be nice )

Come on Pit, I need ideas!

I went though one year of college before knowing what I wanted to do, no rush....although you may pay a little more and such if you take pointless classes...

I am going into the TV Production field as an editor.
I'll pull out the old career card they used at my high school.

"Ahem. The majority of high school graduates will pursue three or more careers before finding one that they enjoy and will stick with indefinitely. Though it is not uncommon for individuals to experiment with upwards of five or six."

Point being, people with degrees don't even know what they want to do, so there's nothing to worry about. Just study something that appeals to you, it'll most likely be the polar opposite of what you end up doing.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
I got it sorted... Just about to start university (Brighton, for any UK'ers reading) to do Geology, then gonna go work in either structural geology, environmental geology or mining.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I have no idea I think I have to have filled out the uni forms by Oct 19th... eeeeek
I've always fancied Brighton mind you
*stresses out*
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
I have done a year of photography but I am considering dropping and applying for either Film studies & art history or Social Anthropology. I love photography but the course I ended up on wasn't great so I will continue it as a hobby.

Is anyone doing Films studies or Anthropology? I know they are pretty different and some would argue "micky mouse degrees" but I know I would find both of them really interesting and enjoyable I just can't decide which to go for. I imagine the latter would look slightly better to most empolyers but at the end of the day I want to study something I have a genuine passion and interest for.

Any advice would be awesome
I'm nearly 19 and I still don't know. I work in a supermarket at the moment and I'm trying to get a job in a shoe factory.
Quote by sailor!
I have no idea I think I have to have filled out the uni forms by Oct 19th... eeeeek
I've always fancied Brighton mind you

Erm... Uni starts in september! You'll have to apply next year, so you don't need to do forms for ages. Yeah, Brighton is great, even if it does have a homosexual reputation...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Page 1 of 2