e|-------------------------------12-12-12------12-------|
B|--15B----------15B~~~~~~~~~~~~-12-15-12-12B--12-15----|
G|----------------------------------------14B--------14b|
D|------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------|

Sorry I don't know what to call them, hehe, but for example from Hey Joe solo, would the ----1212 part be barred? I have been playing it with index and middle and using pinky and ring for frets 14 and 15, but I just realized I should ask before I develop a potentially bad habit.

And my main reason is in solos and stuff I notice there's parts where there's two strings on a fret barred and maybe a hammer-on or pull-off, but it's only hit one or two times max, so it seems impossible to quickly barre and then hit the various notes again.

Thanks
less fingers is better. . .. that is my only thought on the subject. .. . . you need to maintain a common position wherever you can with your index finger and hold the 12's with it. use your pinky or ring finger on the other notes. . . and on that note, good night.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
yeah, that's a real common and basic thing to do: barreing your index finger over the first and second strings in that basic minor penta position. Hendrix, SRV, Page, EVH etc. .... They also would usually use the ring finger (not pinky) for bending the second string, you get more strength that way.

Couple things I didn't understand in your post:

1. what part of the solo is that, and where did you get the tab? Reason I ask is at one point it shows third string 14th fret bent at same time as second string 12th fret, which would be real unusual (not to mention it doesn't sound right)

2. what did you mean when you said this:

Quote by michaelscofield
so it seems impossible to quickly barre and then hit the various notes again.
Thanks guys. Guitarviz, I was a bit confused about that point #1 as well, and the tab is from here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jimi_hendrix/hey_joe_ver8_tab.htm. I actually play it only bending 14 so I ignored the double bend, maybe a simple mistake in the tab?

For your #2, yes I should have been clearer. Okay what I meant was say something like this:

--12-----------------------------------------
-----15-15---------11s10----------------------------
-------------------------------------------
-------------13h16------------------------------
-------------13------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

I just made that up, it's the situation where I'm normally moving my fretting hand fingers onto the positions, playing along fine, but the 1313h16 comes up and I have to quickly barre and then "unbarre" (no idea if that's a term lol, I just mean take my index out of barre form) and go back to "regular" fretting. Really new on terminology here so I apologize, I hope that's a tad clearer Thanks for the help.
I agree with the other posts.You should bar them so your other finger be able to move freely and switch to the next notes faster.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Well, obviously the 12th fret bend on the B string was a farce, just like global warming or the female orgasm. And as for bending with the pinky. . . Chuck Norris could do it. . . so why can't you? I get what you are saying, but at the same time, I feel that each finger should be just as strong as the next, I have bad habits of trying to strengthen my pinky just as much as any other finger, but so far it doesn't work against me. . . so I continue to do it, I'm a big Opeth, The Human Abstract, Necrophagist, The Haunted, Black Dahlia Murder, Children of Bodom type player myself though. . . . so of course, I'm a crappy pretentious metal guitarist.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by notsee
And as for bending with the pinky. . . Chuck Norris could do it. . . so why can't you? I get what you are saying, but at the same time, I feel that each finger should be just as strong as the next

Joe Satriani has some interesting thoughts on this, I posted in a new thread
The 'mini-barre's' your referring to are called double stops.
TS: yes it's normal for index finger to quickly barre on and off of first and second strings while playing in that basic penta box position. Here's a real basic example:

--------12--------
-----12------15b--
-14b--------------
------------------
------------------
------------------

After bending the third string you then barre the index finger at 12th fret for the next two notes, then take it off again for that last note, the bend + vibrato of second string at 15th fret.

If you're good the whole thing happens very quickly. Watch videos of Hendrix SRV etc.