If I like the tone of the distortion on my amp, but wanted to tighten it up without changing it too much, which would be the better option? I've searched around but can't get an answer to this exact question.

I've learned that an OD is supposed to tighten the sound, but usually also affects the tone a little bit, and increases gain, while a boost increases volume and possibly gain.

Basically, I don't want more gain, just a way to optimize the gain I have.

Would an EQ work better?

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
I think compression is what you're looking for. If you don't want to change the sound too much, you'll want to stay away for an eq.
Quote by Donka
I think compression is what you're looking for. If you don't want to change the sound too much, you'll want to stay away for an eq.

*facepalm*

An EQ will do what you need.
Quote by Donka

I DO want to change the sound, just not necessarily the gain, or the overall tone. Just the balance of the sound.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Quote by Cutlass_253
I DO want to change the sound, just not necessarily the gain, or the overall tone. Just the balance of the sound.

Well an EQ will do that

You can make slight adjustments to your tone. If want a heavier sound you can make slight adjustments to the mids and treble.

A classic rock sound? You can boost the mids ever so slightly to get a good crunch.

Most EQ pedals have have a level or gain control so if you ever decide you want more gain or extra volume you can do that to.

EDIT: Your amp is tube? An OD pedal can tighten up your sound (assuming your using overdrive on your amp) and that might do what you want.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Sep 6, 2008,
Yea, its a tube. I guess I'll just have to try stuff out. I think an EQ would be a good investment anyway, so I'll look at one of those and decide on a OD/boost later.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
EQ in the loop, OD smacking the front end of the preamp. Overdrive on the pedal down way low, level/balance on the pedal jacked up, and tone to taste.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Cutlass_253
Yea, its a tube. I guess I'll just have to try stuff out. I think an EQ would be a good investment anyway, so I'll look at one of those and decide on a OD/boost later.

Sounds good.
you know, you could always turn down the gain on your amp and use a clean boost to bring it back up to the same level of gain, that could tighten the sound, although i'm not sure.

A compressor should help tighten things up, too. But an EQ is a good investment some EQ pedals will allow for a volume boost so can be used as a clean boost.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Final !mpact

Most EQ pedals have have a level or gain control so if you ever decide you want more gain or extra volume you can do that to.

How is that even supposed to work? The way I see it, the EQ pedal can only boost the signal - that will increase the volume somewhat and might increase gain. There's no magic way to increase volume without increasing gain since they're the same thing, is there?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.