Is this true? I was what they say on the Gibson site, and they don't make it clear if they are or not. From what I read I'm pretty sure the only one which isn't is the "traditional" style. Confirm or elaborate?
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Why do they call it a studio?

the original ones that gibson made were all about the tone.
great woods and materials put into it, but they always gave them shitty finishes so that people could still afford them.
thus, great for studio work but it wouldn't be anything of artistical value
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
With that said... Can any one answer the original question?

(Thanks for answering the studio question guys)
new standard is scientifically chambered. traditional has holes drilled into it. the chambers are supposed to give it a warmer tone and more sustain. i think it's all bullshit though.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Scientific Holes vs Swiss Cheese Holes?

What about the Classic or Classic Antique

They're chambered. Most of them are. If you want a guitar that's not chambered, you'd be better off getting the Tradtional or getting a Custom Shop VOS.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by apak
new standard is scientifically chambered. traditional has holes drilled into it. the chambers are supposed to give it a warmer tone and more sustain. i think it's all bullshit though.

Yep. Leave it to corporate America to market a vice as a virtue.
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
With that said... Can any one answer the original question?

(Thanks for answering the studio question guys)

Yes, all current production Gibson LPs are "non-solid body." Even the "Traditional" as someone pointed out already, has holes in it; the difference is whether the guitar has the "swiss-cheese" hole pattern or has been "chambered."

If you want a true solid-body LP, you'll need to buy from the Gibson Custom Shop or from the Epiphone Elitist line.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by Doooooooooom
Yep. Leave it to corporate America to market a vice as a virtue.

While cutting holes into the body definitely doesn't improve tone (read: Gibson is definitely throwing bullshit at us), it's hard to blame them for doing it: It's not like they're saving money by doing it (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even recoup the costs of all the chambering/holing machinery with the savings from moving lighter guitars); they're just giving consumers what they want---a lighter Les Paul. A majority of people in the potential Les Paul market bitch and moan about the heaviness of true solid-body Les Pauls, and so Gibson produces guitars that they have determined will sell the best.

I love a nice, heavy solid-body Les Paul, but I'm in the minority so I have to deal with the few options I have. The rest of us in this group unfortunately have to do the same as well.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
While cutting holes into the body definitely doesn't improve tone (read: Gibson is definitely throwing bullshit at us), it's hard to blame them for doing it: It's not like they're saving money by doing it (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even recoup the costs of all the chambering/holing machinery with the savings from moving lighter guitars); they're just giving consumers what they want---a lighter Les Paul. A majority of people in the potential Les Paul market bitch and moan about the heaviness of true solid-body Les Pauls, and so Gibson produces guitars that they have determined will sell the best.

I love a nice, heavy solid-body Les Paul, but I'm in the minority so I have to deal with the few options I have. The rest of us in this group unfortunately have to do the same as well.

Thats pretty much it, people asked for more weight reduction so gibson did it. Even the original mahogany body was used for weight reduction, afaik they wanted to use maple only but decided to use mahogany since maple only bodies were really heavy.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by FourSticks17

That hits the nail on the head. The thing is, tons of people asked for a lighter Les Paul, and now they have it, they're complaining about it. Seriously, they're like like children.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I made a chambered les paul, it just wasnt right. I took most of the mahog out ang just left a solid center section. It was loads lighter and just felt wrong. I never finished it and sold it on as it was. I'd never put a tone chamber in on the upper side any bigger than the control cavity. Its just takes too much wood out.
Quote by FourSticks17
Yes, all current production Gibson LPs are "non-solid body." Even the "Traditional" as someone pointed out already, has holes in it; the difference is whether the guitar has the "swiss-cheese" hole pattern or has been "chambered."

If you want a true solid-body LP, you'll need to buy from the Gibson Custom Shop or from the Epiphone Elitist line.

If I go for the custom shop, would I have to place a special order?
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
If I go for the custom shop, would I have to place a special order?

No, they already have models and stuff. Like the 1959 Les Paul and 1960, just type in on Google "Gibson Les Paul VOS 1959/1960" and there you have it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by FourSticks17

Having very recently tried a proper solid-body Les Paul, I can understand that. She sounded majestically warm and basey (is that a word?), but **** me, was she heavy or what!?! For the sake of my back, I'll stick with my chambered Epi-copy.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.