Um, so I got some science homework to find out what happens to metals when they react with carbonates?I've tried google, but I can't find anything lol so I thought i'd come ask the pit, seeing as none of my friends have had any luck with this homework either.

Thanks
Curses...i have nothing of interest to write in this here place.
ok here's a try,
FE + (CO3)2 = FE2CO3
i dont know, I forgot chemistry after i took Business Management..
Since carbonates in water are acidic, a redox reaction I'd guess? Don't know if that's the correct term in English though.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
When I was your age, I did my own homework...
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

The only thing I know is that they dont react so good when they are in water
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Quote by Green_Jelly
Since carbonates in water are acidic, a redox reaction I'd guess? Don't know if that's the correct term in English though.

This would happen, if the carbonate was aqueous.

Carbonate is a cation with a -2 charge, so it would form an Ionic bond with a metal, the formula depending on the charge of the anion.
Quote by imgooley
This would happen, if the carbonate was aqueous.

Carbonate is a cation with a -2 charge, so it would form an Ionic bond with a metal, the formula depending on the charge of the anion.

Carbonates are anions, metals are cations.

It depends what the 'carbonate' is bonded to; if it's a metal which is lower in the reactivity series, then it would be replaced by iron.

If it's some sort of carbonate dissolved in solution, hexane probably, because carbonates won't dissolve in water; then the free anions in solution might react with iron metal to form ferrus carbonate.

It all depends on the entropy of the reaction with which the carbonate is taking place. If the entropy of the universe increases with the overall reaction, then it will take place.
Entropy of the universe = entropy of the system + entropy of the surroundings.
Active metal + carbonate = some form of salt + water + Co2

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live