I have a Les Paul, and the screws holding down the pickguard (and I think even the ones at the pickups) have become a little rusty. Should I change them myself? And if so, what type of screws should I get?
My suggestion would be take the screw you need, go to a place where they sell screws and ask for the same one.
They aren't too hard to change, but if they're getting rusty it might be a tad hard to take them out.

As for the type of screws, maybe ones the same size?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
One of the reasons I'm asking is that my friend advised me to just stick with the screws and clean them up (like sbikram mentioned), rather than buying new screws. So, yeah. I'm not entirely sure whether I should change them or not.
screws are just screws why not change them. They don't affect your playing or your sound so the only thing left is the looks. I would go to my guitarshop and buy some guitarscrews and replace the rusty ones.
Quote by sbikram
soak the screws in kerosene...that'll remove the rust...

75% hydrochloric acid would do a better job
guitar parts online store, pickguard screws.

a REALLy important question would be to ask Why the screws are rusting.

make sure you arent leaving that guitar in too humid an area. or all the wires, hardware and neck will become compromised in some way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
just google 'gibson guitar screws' or similar and you will find some identical repacements for a few pounds/dollars. i lost the pickguard screws on my les paul and replaced them that way.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by willy_99
75% hydrochloric acid would do a better job

thanks... didn't know about that...
Quote by jj1565
guitar parts online store, pickguard screws.

a REALLy important question would be to ask Why the screws are rusting.

make sure you arent leaving that guitar in too humid an area. or all the wires, hardware and neck will become compromised in some way.

Can't I just use a normal screw?

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I keep it in the case in the living room, which isn't very humid at all. Hmmm.
toss a few silica packets in the case.

you can get them for free, they discard a bunch all the time at shoe stores.
just ask a sales person.

and yes you can use screws not specific to guitars. just get the right size. not too long.

maybe take a screw wt you to a hardware store.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Problem with buying screws is that you have to buy in bulk.

You'd be better off soaking them in a bit of meths/turps/white spirit/vodka etc.
not necessarily. you can find them for about $5. or much less if you have a hardware store.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
toss a few silica packets in the case.

you can get them for free, they discard a bunch all the time at shoe stores.
just ask a sales person.

and yes you can use screws not specific to guitars. just get the right size. not too long.

maybe take a screw wt you to a hardware store.

Oh wow. Silica packets. Never crossed my mind. Thanks.