Ok, so I take it that, most of you have seen Freepower's video on finger independence.

In the video, he mentions two motions of the left [fretting] hand.

Rolling, and the other I don't know the name of.

The Other - When doing a simple 1234 chromatic, he uses each finger separately, and when moving down to the next string, for example, from E to A, he brings down each finger when it is required.

For example,

A|--------1-2-3-4|
E|-1-2-3-4--------|

Now, when moving down to the first fret, on the A string, instead of bring down all the fingers, at once, he only brings down the index. Then, to fret the second note, he brings down the middle finger, and so on.

Now, I'm extremely confused.

I know that this exercise works on each finger's muscles separately, but, what I want to know is if this is the motion to use when learning licks.

Lick 1, is, for example,

e|-------------------------||
B|-------------------------||
G|-------------------------||
D|---------9-10-12---------||
A|-----------------9-10-12-||
E|-9-10-12-----------------||

Now, the motion I use - the rolling motion - is that, after playing the three notes on the E string, I'll move all my fingers down to the D string, and fret the first note with my index, the second with my middle, and so on.

If The Other motion is to be used, it'll be something like,

9-10-12, on the E,
Move index down to D string,
While leaving the middle and pinky fingers on the 10th and 12th frets of the E, respectively.
Bring middle finger down to the 10th fret of the D string, while leaving the pinky on the 12th fret of E.

I think I have the motion figured out all wrong, because this seems very...wrong? Or maybe I just need to have it explained to me in a better way.

Thanks!
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Something like,
e|----------------|
B|----------------|
G|----------------|
D|--------9-------|
A|----------------|
E|-9-10-12--12-10-|

?

So, for this,

After playing the first three notes on the E, I'll move my index down to the D, and let the middle and pinky stay/hover over the E?

Also, you haven't answered all my questions. =P

Instead of using the Other motion for exercises like the spider exercises, what else should it be used for.

Also, if the lick is a simple 3nps pattern, do I move the whole hand down to the next string, or what?
Thanks
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
Something like,
e|----------------|
B|----------------|
G|----------------|
D|--------9-------|
A|----------------|
E|-9-10-12--12-10-|

?

So, for this,

After playing the first three notes on the E, I'll move my index down to the D, and let the middle and pinky stay/hover over the E?

Yes.

You're overthinking the whole issue here, the point is where the fretting force comes from and how relaxed the other fingers are. This applies to all playing - fretting force should come from the fingers and the weight of the arm, fingers not applying force should be relaxed.
One last, quick question.

If I play any amount of notes on a single string, for example 3nps, and the fingers in use are the index, middle, and pinky, and the lick is

E|-9-10-12|

Once I've played the note on the 9th fret, I should relax my index, and lift it slightly off the string, or what?

Thanks.
Myspace Streaming Only

only if you want to do that exercise. i wouldn't do it normally, as it would make you unable to make legato runs, if you just randomly decide to do it.
^^ Only do what?
Myspace Streaming Only

Quote by sTx
^^ Only do what?

Whatever feels comfortable and is most useful

Personally if i was just doing the lick 9 10 12. I would leave my index finger pressed down and and move my middle and pinky finger open to go down on the string(ONLY IF IT WAS A CONTINUOUS LICK) for a lick like 8 10 12 string on the g 9 11 13 string on the d and 10 13 15 on the A string i would not rest any of my fingers they would be constantly moving in relation to my hand going down the guitar.
Last edited by Jimi-is-god at Sep 8, 2008,
^^I just noticed that I have a natural tendency to do that.

If I'm playing picked 3s, the fingers relax naturally, after being used.

However, what should I do in the case of legato?
Myspace Streaming Only