I've read all the FAQS, and stickies, and threads regarding what I'm about to ask, but I'm still a little unclear.

I've been working on completely reviewing my technique, and I've worked out a lot of kinks.
One aspect of my playing has left me confused.

Now, I don't anchor. I got rid of that after reading Freepower's extensive posts on it, about a year or so, back.

Question - A part of my right [picking] arm rests on the curve of the guitar's body. More specifically, the part after the elbow joint. I can't say if it's fixed or glued to that part, because I can move my hand to skip strings, for example, E to G, easily.

I just want to know if I should put in time into making my arm float, instead of having it attached to the body.

Note: Most of my picking area is NOT near the bridge. It's usually between the neck, and humbucking pickup, or above the humbucker. Not after it [that is, closer to the bridge]. I also need to know if this is right.

Thank you. I'm sorry if this ha been asked, and answered before.

I googled a few of the greats, and here's what I found.

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=64087376wl2.png
The yellow arrow indicates the position of my arm. Sorry about the crappy paintjob. Photoshop's on the other computer. =P
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
if your arm is exactly where that arrow is pointing, it's way too high i think.

i place it more like vinnie and petrucci.
and you should definitely rest your arm in the guitar body. not glue it, but rest it there. you'll get less tension and more stability if you do that.

and don't you rest your hand on the strings? because you should.
read freepower's sticky.
Anchoring is always a no. I don't care even if Petrucci, and MAB do it.

if your arm is exactly where that arrow is pointing, it's way too high i think.

My arm's more like this

and don't you rest your hand on the strings? because you should.
read freepower's sticky

I do. For muting.

More like Petrucci or Moore? Meaning, position arm away from the curve of the body?
Just tell me using a guitar part. For example, above the bridge pickup, above the bridge, etc.
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Question - A part of my right [picking] arm rests on the curve of the guitar's body. More specifically, the part after the elbow joint. I can't say if it's fixed or glued to that part, because I can move my hand to skip strings, for example, E to G, easily.

I just want to know if I should put in time into making my arm float, instead of having it attached to the body.

No, you're fine. You'll get a lot more progress out of focusing on dynamics and attack at that stage, unless you have a really weird terrible posture, which you don't, so rock on.
and how, exactly, does one focus on dynamics, and attack?

If I'm not wrong, dynamics involve something like, consistent legato volume, etc
Myspace Streaming Only

^ dynamic control is the control of volume and changes in volume. To work on it practice moving between different dynamic levels in different licks - see how quiet you can play and how loud you can play certain licks, and then challenge yourself to perfect your control at every extent of your range.