Well, I've been playing guitar on and off for a few years now.. And I've just started taking it seriously a few months back..

I can play fine, I'm not a pro.. I do need some practice and all of that...

Can I have some tips on how to sing and play guitar at the same time? Its so hard, people make it look so easy.. I'm about to give up.. I start off by strumming, then I attempt to try singing, but then my strumming goes off and i just end up humming..

Thanks in advance. Any help is fine
Day by day, nothing seems to change.. But pretty soon.. Everything's different
practice... its hard I know...I have gone through this...
I read somewhere that you have to sing and play differently and combine them later..
i dont know
just practice
good luck
Quote by MopMaster
Learn each part so you can do it without thinking, then put them together.

this

if you pratice a song so many time that you could play it without thinking, then singing on it won't disturb your playing

guitar is all about pratice man
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
you should try with something really simple, like knocking on heavens door or something that you know really well.. i'm sure you'll get it
here's an exercise that might help you.

play the whole song palm muted and sing along with it slowly. if you can do that then you can just start to apply it to singing + playing normally. if not, go back and learn each part really well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
go slow then go full speed, it took me a while to learn to sing and play but once i learned to do it for one song, i never when through those troubles again
Pot
Kettle
Black
super repetition will work...for one song at a time and you'll be almost as lost for every new song you learn if that's the only way you get it done

unless it's a common strumming pattern and then the super repetition will be quite useful and new songs with that strumming pattern will be effortless

it's so frustrating to feel just as lost as the first time when you switch to a new song, it's really discouraging...

however, new songs don't have to be that tricky if you can manage to 'flip the autopilot switch' in your brain

what? ok, i'll explain

it's kind of tricky to find how to do it, but once you can it's like you flipped a switch and then you can pick up a new song with very little effort

it's all about being able to be your own audience, that is, you will just let the music come to your ears (of course, you will have to think about where you are in the song and some of the words if you haven't totally ingrained that song in your brain, but still that'll be very easy since it requires just a quick moment of attention)

the problem with singing and playing is that you're thinking too much...even just thinking too much about the rhythm is enough to screw you up, for example...when you hear a song you like and you figure out the chords or look them up in the tab, do you need to be told the strumming pattern? or do you just automatically do it? maybe for more complicated ones, you have to give the song a close listen, but still...you're not thinking "ok...up down up up down up down" you just listen for the sound and somehow your brain/hands know which sound is up and down, right?

but what if, instead of letting the sound guide you, you work out the 'up down' formula to it...then when you play it, instead of listening for the sound and letting your autopilot recreate it....you actually make it happen by thinking "ok down...now up....up again, and down"

this is basically what's happening when you're screwing up the playing and singing, you are trying to make it happen instead of letting your brain and ears just do it

so just let it happen! the thing that makes it harder is that you're not just listening for the rhythm, you also want the vocal sounds as well

so it requires a bit of practice at this full sound autopilot, but once you get it, you'll find that it won't be anywhere near as bad to learn a new song and picking one up almost instantly will be very common

i hope you can make this useful, i know it seems like i haven't actually provided any useable information...but that's the tricky part of this

i remember when i was trying to learn to play and sing, i was so frustrated and i searched and searched for articles that would explain it to me and i'd finally be able to do it

but i found out that the best advice i'd ever received on this subject was a very simple "you think too much" when i was in a musician's chat room trying to come up with a very methodical way of doing this

it's very frustrating to hear that since you want to know exactly the steps it takes and just start doing them, but i really believe it's just of matter of thinking less about it

of course, maybe this is just the way that my brain works and you might have to take a different path

but in any case, it's well worth the effort

good luck
This is a great issue. I think number one we only sing what we think will sound good with the guitar we are playing. So we tend to want to sing notes that aren't being played to make it sound more cool or modern. So what tips are useful for singing and playing?

1. be delibriate only if you intend on singing the notes you are playing. This will strengthen the part of your brain that says "no don't do this to me" meaning play and sing only the same thing at the same time. Once you get the feeling down you can start to add different hops and what not with your voice to the guitar.

2. To add to what mybsaccownt what saying. I think this is the better tip here. If you want to sing something on top of your playing, then try not to be afraid of making mistakes. If you can open that avenue that says whatever is coming out is coming out and whatever is playing is gonna play, and just let it come out like your whole body is turning into liqued. It might sound weird. But I remember playing and singing on the piano which is probably a lot harder then singing and playing the guitar and I remember falling into a groove that made it easy like turning on a switch just like was stated before.

3. But all over again it's practice and then taking a break then coming back to the same song and realizing you are that much better.

well hope any or all of this helped
don't be afraid to sound un pop-cultureish
Stick with the K.I.S.S principal [keep it simple stupid]. Start off with simple songs in 4/4 timing with only 3 or 4 easy cords. Strongly tap your foot in 4/4 along with the song, it helps to emphasize and remind you of the rhythm. You could also try singing along with the tune in your head first. Once you can do that , the actual singing is a lot easier.
Quote by mybsaccownt
super repetition will work...for one song at a time and you'll be almost as lost for every new song you learn if that's the only way you get it done

unless it's a common strumming pattern and then the super repetition will be quite useful and new songs with that strumming pattern will be effortless

it's so frustrating to feel just as lost as the first time when you switch to a new song, it's really discouraging...

however, new songs don't have to be that tricky if you can manage to 'flip the autopilot switch' in your brain

what? ok, i'll explain

it's kind of tricky to find how to do it, but once you can it's like you flipped a switch and then you can pick up a new song with very little effort

it's all about being able to be your own audience, that is, you will just let the music come to your ears (of course, you will have to think about where you are in the song and some of the words if you haven't totally ingrained that song in your brain, but still that'll be very easy since it requires just a quick moment of attention)

the problem with singing and playing is that you're thinking too much...even just thinking too much about the rhythm is enough to screw you up, for example...when you hear a song you like and you figure out the chords or look them up in the tab, do you need to be told the strumming pattern? or do you just automatically do it? maybe for more complicated ones, you have to give the song a close listen, but still...you're not thinking "ok...up down up up down up down" you just listen for the sound and somehow your brain/hands know which sound is up and down, right?

but what if, instead of letting the sound guide you, you work out the 'up down' formula to it...then when you play it, instead of listening for the sound and letting your autopilot recreate it....you actually make it happen by thinking "ok down...now up....up again, and down"

this is basically what's happening when you're screwing up the playing and singing, you are trying to make it happen instead of letting your brain and ears just do it

so just let it happen! the thing that makes it harder is that you're not just listening for the rhythm, you also want the vocal sounds as well

so it requires a bit of practice at this full sound autopilot, but once you get it, you'll find that it won't be anywhere near as bad to learn a new song and picking one up almost instantly will be very common

i hope you can make this useful, i know it seems like i haven't actually provided any useable information...but that's the tricky part of this

i remember when i was trying to learn to play and sing, i was so frustrated and i searched and searched for articles that would explain it to me and i'd finally be able to do it

but i found out that the best advice i'd ever received on this subject was a very simple "you think too much" when i was in a musician's chat room trying to come up with a very methodical way of doing this

it's very frustrating to hear that since you want to know exactly the steps it takes and just start doing them, but i really believe it's just of matter of thinking less about it

of course, maybe this is just the way that my brain works and you might have to take a different path

but in any case, it's well worth the effort

good luck

that explains why I was able to sing and play at the same time when i was completely hammered out of my mind. But when sober I still can't do it
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
if you can tap youre foot and sing that good. start with songs chords that go for a whole measure and play them in time withyoure foot (and the bass drum). then its just like singing while tapping your foot
It's not that difficult, it's only different. Try playing songs with an easy an memorable chord pattern.