Bsically I'm doing a worksheet on a random Bach Chorale (and a 'wrong version' of the chorale), and I need a question answered. When identifying parallel octaves and fifths, is it only considered wrong if they are in the bass and tenor parts, or any part? Also is it only considered wrong when one octave moves to another e.g. D octaves to C octaves in the next chord, or do any octaves/fifths count (e.g. D octaves with D octaves in the next chord)?

Thanks to anyone who can help, it's been a while since I've done chorale work...
You want to avoid parallel octaves and fifths in any of the voices moving from one chord to the next. Another thing you want to avoid is direct fifths, sometimes also called hidden fifths. This is when you move in similar motion into a P5 or P8 in the outer voices, but is only not allowed when the Soprano is moving by more than a step. Stepwise motion in the Soprano into a P5 or P8 in the same direction with the bass is allowed, so long as it is not parallel motion.
Last edited by PSM at Sep 6, 2008,