I'm looking for a relatively large guitar (im a big dude) with stock EMG's, and a non-trem bridge. These were the two I came across, so I'm wondering which is better and why. I'll definitely try them both out before I consider buying one flat out, but I'd like to hear some opinions/facts first.
Can't help you as to how they play, but aesthetically, I think the Viper would be the one to get, but I think always, as you said, try before you buy, especially with guitars. Good luck finding one.
If my knowledge serves me right, they are pretty much exactly the same thing, but in different shapes.
a friend of mine has the EX400 and it plays so amazingly smooth

only downside is that it is quite neck heavy.....

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
What's the difference between the EMG 85 and the EMG 60 in the neck? The EX has the 60 (pretty much a James Hetfield sig), and the Viper has the 85.
ive played both, the ex is a little prone to hit of walls cause of its big tail, the viper has a tendancy to neck dive cause its an sg style. Thats the only real bad thing on it. If u be carefull they shouldnt be a problem, if u a big dude and want a big(ish) guitar withour a trem and an amazing neck, i would suggest a dean ml79 or a razorback db, or an epiphone les paul.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by ultimatedaver
If my knowledge serves me right, they are pretty much exactly the same thing, but in different shapes.
Different size/amount of wood would make a difference though right? That and the different neck pickup.
some schecters might be good for you aswell.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
some schecters might be good for you aswell.
The C-1 Blackjack looks nice, it's the only one in my price range that I like that has aftermarket pups
I have been trying an Explorer from GC for a week now and I'm pretty much ready to take it back due to the shape. Big dude? Don't know if I am? 6' 200 but just can't get the right arm to feel right with it. I too am ready to try a Viper. I really wanted one but came across a good deal on the X. My $300 Ibanez has what I think are better pickups than the X. [at least they don't feedback like hell] Same price for them both by the way.

HTH.................BD
Last edited by BIGD2 at Sep 6, 2008,
viper deff, i've played both. if i was to get one for free, i'd pick the viper. good playing and of course sig tone by the emg's
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.