Is there any difference between an Fadd9 chord and an Fsus2 chord?

What then is the difference between an "add" chord and a "sus" chord?

Are these kinds of chords best used when the melody being played over the chord contains the note that is either added or suspended?

I am also assuming that these types of chords can be used extremely effectively in voice leading within the chord, right?
an add chord implies that the third of a chord may be used. a sus chord means you omit the third and use a suspended note instead, usually the second or fourth, which can then be resolved back to the root or third. also, add9 usually includes the added second at the top voice of the chord
An Fadd9 is a F major with an added 9th so it would contain the notes F A C G.
An Fsus2 suspends the major third for the second and would be F G C.
Quote by becker009
an add chord implies that the third of a chord may be used. a sus chord means you omit the third and use a suspended note instead, usually the second or fourth, which can then be resolved back to the root or third. also, add9 usually includes the added second at the top voice of the chord

Ok, so it would be common to do something along these lines within a chord progression:

Fsus2 -> F

yes?
Quote by Seryaph
Ok, so it would be common to do something along these lines within a chord progression:

Fsus2 -> F

yes?

Well you can but you don't have to; I quite like using sus2 chords just on their own.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.