Hey, I'm upgrading my guitar and i found this Epiphone Les Paul, and im considering buying it.

Les Paul

I just need a few questions answering for anyone

1)What is the sound like, is it like the gibson les paul
2) Is that guitar that i might buy actually epiphone or an encore copy
3) Are they durable
4) Out of ten, what would you give them

Thanks if you reply
I don't think that is a real Epiphone. I am playing one right now, and I looked over it, and the head stocks aren't the same.
sounds nice, not a gibson but nice.
thats an epiphone, its an older epi but it is an epiphone
very durable ive had mine for a few months and have had zero problems
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

1) Its not like the gibson les paul no, a pickup upgrade will help though (get a decent amp first though)
2) Its an epiphone
3) Yes they are durable as long as you don't abuse it
4) Id give mine 9/10 for the money.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
They are great guitars...it is an Epiphone. They are pretty durable, mine didn't break when I had it. Out of ten, I'd give it a 8 for what they are, and for the price.
1) It won't sound as good as a Gibson obviously be it is definitely along the same lines, you won't get closer for less.

2) IMO it looks like a proper Epiphone, don't know why anyone would go through the trouble to make a fake anyway.

3) Yes, they are real workhorses, nice and solid.

4) Taking Price into consideration 7.5 or 8 maybe.
I meant as in the first question, Whats the noise like, is it as crisp as the Gibson
Quote by JamieUK
I meant as in the first question, Whats the noise like, is it as crisp as the Gibson

No it won't be as crisp as a Gibson but it will sound like a Les Paul, I can't put it any simpler.
Seeing those brings a tear to my eyes....yes, that's an Epiphone. I recognize the headstock from my very first one back in 1994: it's from right around the same time probably, and if I am recall correctly, thats EPIs version of the Std.

1. It won't sound like a LP -however, not two LPs really sound the same :-P
I would characterize the sound as warm, not overly bright. Today, it'd be my main choice for rythm playing.

3. Are they durable? Of course! You might have to deal with a noisy PU selector, but outside of that, they are rather sturdy. Just make sure nobodys sits on the neck...it'll crack (duh!) and that either a very costly repair or a trip to the trash can. That was the end of mine back in 1998.

4. I woud have given mine back then a 10. The neck is chunkier -not quite a 50s, but close- than what I'd prefer today. But it's got terrific sound: it's warm but not muddy, very easy to play. I had mine setup with 9s.

In the end, it's a matter of preference, but if you like the warmer sound of the LPs vs Strats, you can't go wrong with it.
The tuners look a little out of place.
This person selling it looks like he doesnt know much about guitars either.
Check out his return policy beforehand.
It's a Samick, made in Korea in 2000.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I would stay away from korean guitars from that time.
They're getting better now but idk about then....
Quote by JamieUK
It's Not the head stock on the Samick is different

It's an Epiphone made by Samick. They also have they're own line of guitars that they manufacture under their own name.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Zeldaik

So should i get it or not?
Quote by Zeldaik

That depends on what the actual reserve & utlimately price ends up being. I wouldn't put more than 300 bucks on it (under 200 GBPs..?!)
Quote by JamieUK
You need to play a guitar to know whether you like it or not, thats the trouble with ebay. In my opinion you're best off going to a music shop or two and playing every guitar in your price range until you find one you like.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I've wanted an Les Paul Custom for as long as I can remember so obviously you'll know what I felt like as soon as Christmas came along and I found it on eBay for £300.
I'm worried about whether it's real or fake and wondering if anyone can puts my worries at bay or tell me if I'm about to get ripped off. These are the only photos I have but if and when I get more I will post them.

You're help is much appreciate.

P.S I have painted over the eBay Used ID. Yes I have crap paint skills.
Attachments:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom 2.jpg
Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3.jpg
Epiphone Les Paul Custom 1.jpg
Quote by FloyDZeD
It's a Samick, made in Korea in 2000.

+1 I ran the Serial number it was made at the Samick plant in Korea.

S00065520=

Your guitar was made at the
Samick Plant, Korea
June 2000
Production Number: 5520

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

For you guys who haven't see this yet, That is the Epi decoder but you can do Fenders, Ibanez and Gibsons as well. I used to use it a lot when a questionable (fake) guitar popped up. Now the counterfitters do a much better job on the serial numbers and they pan out.

I have played several Epi LPs made about the same time and from the same place they do play very well and sound prett dam good IMHO. That one look like it was kept in very good condition.

John
Quote by LP Custom Plz
I'm worried about whether it's real or fake and wondering if anyone can puts my worries at bay or tell me if I'm about to get ripped off. These are the only photos I have but if and when I get more I will post them.

I haven't run across and fake Epis yet but that doesn't mean there are none out there but they usually counterfit more expensive guitar like Gibson, Fender and Ibanez.

Ask for the Serial number and run it. It might not help telling you if it's a knockoff or not but it will give you an idea on the age and where is was made. The Korean Epis used to be much better that the Chinese made ones but i am finding on the newer Epis that is not the case.

John