What difference do different strings make (not different gauges, different brands)? I've been using Ernie Balls since I've been playing (about 2 years) and I was wondering if they were crappy strings or if there were some way better strings that last longer.
I'm interested in this, too. I could never really feel that much of a difference, and never really understood how strings of the same thickness and same alloy can sound different.

I heard some tarnish faster than others. I know this is true for Gibson Brite Wires (tried them)
Oh, by the way, I play metal and I'm tuned to Eb standard and I use Ernie Ball regular slinkys now if that matters.
ernie ball made a fortune making strings.
they're awesome strings, but you could get elixirs, which are coated and last longer.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by pwrmax
Elixir strings last practically forever

Do you mean they last as in never break? Or do you mean your tone stays good for a long time compared to other brands?
I just moved and only have my acoustic out of packing but I tried Elixers recently and wasnt impressed. I found that martin lights sounded better. But thats just my opinion. I did go out and get som D'adarrio strings, too, to kinda get a feel for what they each bring to the table. I like the D'adarrio coated strings. I've just been using the fender bullets on my strat and I'm gonna try something else as soon as I get it out of the unpacking mess. Strings are so cheap, though, that its not a big, big deal to experiment. Anyway, hope any of this helps and if all else fails just try any of them and you will either like em or not.
Quote by kirkhammett09
Do you mean they last as in never break? Or do you mean your tone stays good for a long time compared to other brands?

Tone, most strings can last years before actually breaking. Don't wait that long though because after a while they will be impossible to keep in tune. Elixirs are coated with nanoweb and that protects them from wearing down so they keep their bright tone for a long time.
Quote by pwrmax
Tone, most strings can last years before actually breaking. Don't wait that long though because after a while they will be impossible to keep in tune. Elixirs are coated with nanoweb and that protects them from wearing down so they keep their bright tone for a long time.

aren't they more expensive too though? so it evens out
Ernie Ball electrics > Elixir hands down.
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
DR Extra Life

I love them and you can find them in some pretty cool colors to
I got some silver (stars), they look pretty nice.