As you guys probably know I am getting a new amp, and along with this amp I am getting a guitar. The price for the guitar is $600 (which is the same for the amp=$1200). I was looking at these:

Jackson DK2
LFR
24 Frets
Wide / Thin Neck
Seymour Duncan Pickups

Ibanez S540 / RG (so many RG's I'll just keep it in one group)
S Series = 22 Frets / RG Series = 24 Frets
ZR Trem / Edge III
Thin Neck

ESP MH-400
LFR
Thin U Shape Neck
EMG Pickups
24 Frets

Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
OFR
Not sure about the neck size
EMG Pickups
24 Frets

More info:
With my current Thin U Neck on my ESP I play with my thumb 'posted up' on the back. I find I need to stretch my thumb to get it to 'hang over' the top like I see a lot of long fingered players do. My hands are an average size with average fingers.

I'm looking for a guitar with good quality and that'll last. I want this guitar to be a 'low high end' if I can find a deal. It doesn't have to be one of the ones listed above, that's just the one's I've come across so far.

I'm getting the guitar Sunday so any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure what neck style I want to go with. I don't mind the thin U but I am wondering how a flat wide neck plays in comparison (I've played many guitars in different stores but you don't get a 'true idea' on how something plays until you've had it for awhile). What do you recommend?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
I would say ibanez S or ESP. Simply because I know the S series has an awesome trem system which is my personal favorite. And the ESP because I know ESP is usually a good choice for someone that has less then 1000 dollars to spend.
The neck is one of the most important qualities on a guitar IMO, so take that into account aswell.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
How would you compare the necks on these guitars?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
How would you compare the necks on these guitars?

The Ibanez is the middle ground here. It's not as wide as the Jackson nor is it smaller in width as the ESP/LTD necks.

The Ibanez necks are a little thicker than the ESP necks too methinks.

I find Ibanez necks cramp me out. I'm pretty sure it's what gave me carpel tunnel.
Aren't the Ibanez necks thinner than the ESP's in thickness?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
Aren't the Ibanez necks thinner than the ESP's in thickness?

I'm not really sure. I never did a full on comparison but to me, the ESP/LTD necks felt smaller.
No thanks on the Schecter, I played one last week and the neck felt good but too thick for my tastes.

What do you guys think about a 1980's Charvel Model 4 or 6? I've heard that they have great intonation and fast necks aswell. Their only around $400 used right now. I don't much about them so if anyone could tell me why their so cheap and if there good guitars then let me know!
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
^^Anyone?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
The Jackson is good it really is but of those you've mentioned I'd have absolutely no hesitation in going for the Ibanez S540. The guitar, from memory, is mahogany and I much prefer that to the Alder used by Jackson; the ZR trem system is one of the best you can buy and the neck is excellent. I admit that stock pups on the Jackson are better but are they exactly what you want? To me, the Jackson is only an equal choice to the Ibanez if you were going to choose those pups anyway. They're good but by choice they're not what I'd install in my guitar so I'd get the superior Ibanez and upgrade the pups when the money became available.

An Ibanez 'S' series really is special.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
look @ the charvel 5?, as for the ibby, i have the prestige, n love it, also have a c-1 n love it to, but there is a big diff in the necks, i find it easier to play on the ibby, but i mite just b use to it, cause i just got the c-1 also a noob so...but try them all thru the amp ur getting till it clicks with ya
Why look at the Charvel 5? From my info the 4/6 are two of the best in the Model series.

I'd like to know how the 80's Charvels compare to the S540 Ibanez and the Jackson DK2. But no one seems to be able to answer this... The Charvels can be had in good condition for around $400.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Some more guitars I'm interested in:
'80s Kramer Baretta
'80s Kramer Striker
'86 Charvel Model 4
'86 Charvel Model 6
'02 Charvel Model A Plus
'90-95 Jackson Professional

What do you guys think of these guitars? All can be had for under $500.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
Some more guitars I'm interested in:
'80s Kramer Baretta
'80s Kramer Striker
'86 Charvel Model 4
'86 Charvel Model 6
'02 Charvel Model A Plus
'90-95 Jackson Professional

What do you guys think of these guitars? All can be had for under $500.

DUDE, get the Charvel model 6, for christ sakes. Thats the best guitar ever posted in this topic hands down. Its a nineties Jackson Professional/USA quality soloist by Charvel. For a friendly price.
Last edited by weebl&bob at Sep 7, 2008,
One question, how do the Charvel's neck compare to the Wizard II? I know that the '80s charvels are thinner than the newer Jacksons.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
They are great. Profile is the same as the Jacksons, and tbh i didnt really feel alot of difference between the charvel and the jackson necks (my soloist is a 2001). They are a bit thicker then the ridiculously small wizard necks, but i prefer Jackson necks. But offcourse that is personal opinion.
Weebl, would you take the Charvel over an Ibanez RG2570 / RG1570 / RG550 / RG570?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Personally, I certainly would.
24 frets, kahler trem, neckthru, active/passive circuit, Jackson pickups (which are BLOODY nice! I'd take them over EMG/Blackouts any day), ...
Search for it on google, you will find enough info.
Actually, it is the japanese version of the SL1 (so lets say, its the same as the SL3, but with other pickups and a kahler trem).

Here is some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charvel
Last edited by weebl&bob at Sep 7, 2008,
On the Charvel forum I saw that some people recommend taking out the boost feature...why is that?

And my final question (hopefully..thanks for the help though) is are active electronics a good thing or a bad thing?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
I dont know exactly, i think its some kind of pickup boost. For that little extra when you start a solo.
The model 6 that i played had a switch that let you choose between active (like EMG's) and passive circuit (like seymour duncans). So you have best of both worlds. But i dont remember if that was standard or a mod.
After looking more into the Charvel's they seem to be extremely hard to find...especially the one I was looking for. I'd like to pull the trigger ASAP on whatever guitar I decide to get. After doing some more research I've got a few more contendors.

Jackson SL3
Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez S620EXQM
ESP MH-400

That's what it's down to now, I'm looking for the best quality and the best neck.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
i have an Ibanez and an LTD, and I would say that the Ibanez has a thinner neck.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Alright that's what I figured...but which guitar has the best quality?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
How about out of these:

Jackson DK2 Dinky
ESP MH-400
Ibanez S540
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
^Anyone?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955