okay so my band does some covers with some language...and our parents wanna come to a concert...and we play stuff like monkey wrench...so how do we replace a "curse word" with something else but not make is sound cheesey? thanks in advance
So you wanna ruin the songs for the entire crowd just so you don't get a slap on the wrist from mommy?

That does NOT rock.
Quote by MrGoodyear812
okay so my band does some covers with some language...and our parents wanna come to a concert...and we play stuff like monkey wrench...so how do we replace a "curse word" with something else but not make is sound cheesey? thanks in advance

Easy - you don't.

Would Go Gay For Grohl.
instead of censering the song, dont play it. Either that or grow a pair.
-I don't believe this, my girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

-In a row?
Quote by Retro Rocker
So you wanna ruin the songs for the entire crowd just so you don't get a slap on the wrist from mommy?

That does NOT rock.

Yes, if your parents won't like it when you swear, who cares? What parent would get butthurt if you say 'damn' in a song? If they don't like it then they can leave.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
a band in my school covered Killing in the Name of...

the kid said f*ck as many times as he could hahah

as far as i know there were no repercussions from the school or parents so my advice is dont be a bitch and play it the way it was meant to be
Wow, you guys are assholes. Some parents are kind of strict, i know i have two. You act like you shouldn't care at all about your parents. As for the question, just don't play it unless you come up with something good or clever to replace it. Like the guy at my school who sang Killing in the Name Of said Forget You, i won't do what you tell me. Just practice the song with the revised lyrics, and see how it sounds.
My band played Killing in the Name and sang '**** you' but no parents there, when I showed my parents the video I just didn't play that part.
Quote by steelefor3
Wow, you guys are assholes. Some parents are kind of strict, i know i have two. You act like you shouldn't care at all about your parents. As for the question, just don't play it unless you come up with something good or clever to replace it. Like the guy at my school who sang Killing in the Name Of said Forget You, i won't do what you tell me. Just practice the song with the revised lyrics, and see how it sounds.

I for one would find it rediculous if your parents got mad and ban you from playing in the band or getting grounded because you swore while singing. You can't just change the lyrics because of fear of your parents getting mad. Although you can do it if you want, I don't really care. If your parents don't like it they can leave the show or stop listening.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
During the filming of Fight Club, the script was edited to remove the line 'I wanna have your abortion'.

So it was replaced with 'I haven't been ****ed like that since grade school'.

Replace it with something cleverly worse. If all your parents are listening for is obscenity, drop some sort of phrase in that doesn't sound as bad but means something worse.
Fighting for the Rock Music is great and all but you could just play something else. Then your parents won't beat you to death with angel hair noodles. Or take a page from old Jim Morrison."Mother, I want to... *orgasm scream*" Leaving the word out can be just as offensive, without actually saying it.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
You said and all the DONKEY BONER that somehow came along with it

There ya go.

srsly though, don't worry about it, I'm sure they won't mind one word.
If wherever you're playing isn't a youth center or VFW of some sort (or some place you may want to watch your language), I'd go for it, but don't overdo it, both in songs and just while talking to the crowd.

Nothing says "im s0 k0OL beekauz i custed @ ppl n0w imm lyk a rok star".

I personally try to use a maximum of about 4 vulgarities to a song (and try to avoid putting them into choruses). Anything more makes you sound like you're trying to be cool, and you really shouldn't do that if you're trying to win people over.
Tell your parents;
'The lyrical content reflects the obvious frustration felt by the character that the author is trying to portray. Altering the lyrical content would be an act of artistic vandalism to the literary merits of the original and leave us wide open to damaging criticism on both a moral and artistic level.'
You could also add;
'We have to be vigilant of such pitfalls in our line of work mother, but thankfully you provided me with a decent enough education to prepare me, and to allow me to come to the most valid moral conclusion that one can to this particular artistic conundrum.'

That'll probably either confuse 'em or impress 'em, but if it doesn't work, tell 'em to have a Coke and a smile and shut the fu*k up!
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 7, 2008,
It's about the audience, IMHO. Now, sure, the audience includes your parents, but we're talking the audience as a whole.

I agree with Slack about telling them in advance, and pointing out that:
-you are quoting a work directly.... given the audience and setting, it would be a greater offence to quote the work inaccurately than to make a couple of people semi-uncomfortable.

When you get into university or college or whatever, and take a language or film or music or even a media or history class, etc. where there might be references to other works, documents, interviews, etc. being discussed by adults, and those cited works contain swearing - even the dreaded f-word - you'll find that the prof will quote the source directly. The rationale is that it is a room full of adults in the real world, and the integrity of the cited work must be maintained. It is the word the author or whomever chose to and intended to use, when he/she could have used others.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Dude if you parents are like mine they will be to busy saying to the people next to them "Thats my boy up there, that is" and wont pick up on the lyrics...
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by axemanchris

I agree with Slack about telling them in advance, and pointing out that:
-you are quoting a work directly.... given the audience and setting, it would be a greater offence to quote the work inaccurately than to make a couple of people semi-uncomfortable.

CT

Heh heh, it seems strange having a Canadian translating my English.

Another good line to give your parents would be;
'Oh grow up and don't be so childish about it, honestly mother, I'm really disappointed by your lack of maturity on this matter.'
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 7, 2008,
Hm.. Well.. Just play the song as it is.. Do it fullhearted or don't do it all.

And if your parents gets mad.. It'll probably not be treated like that big a deal.
Since the whole US and europe has jumped on the Equality, democratic, red politics trend, most will just bare with it.

And i am sure that if you rock your heart out. Your parents will not even notice the language. Be wild. Go rock your heart and their brains out.

Anyway. Good luck with that.
Quote by Josola
Dude if you parents are like mine they will be to busy saying to the people next to them "Thats my boy up there, that is" and wont pick up on the lyrics...

That or....

IS THAT MARIJUANA!?! Where is your mother? Are you legal?

*Drags by ear*

Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
haha. i was in a band at my old school (a provate school) and i think we were playing a sex pistols song...... and we wernt aloud to mention the band name when introduceing the song because it had sex in it. stupid as all hell. anyway i dont think you're perants will be too phased about the s word and f word, thats just music.
Quote by the-god-of-rock
monkey wrench has swearing??

It has the word 'sh!t' in that long 'impossible to sing without breathing somehow' line that Dave Grohl does near the end of the song.
/\ yea i always wonder how he pulls that off... but then mind you every time i see it performed live, he kind of goes into a climax in the middle then just starts yelling in that grohl fashion..

anyway on the topic.. im sure if you did something like monkey wrench then you would be getting pretty energetic at that point and slightly difficult to understand anyway..
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Dunjma
/\ yea i always wonder how he pulls that off... but then mind you every time i see it performed live, he kind of goes into a climax in the middle then just starts yelling in that grohl fashion..

I can do it, just, but not with anywhere near as much force as Grohl does. After all, to sing louder you need to expell more air, which makes long lines with no breathing spaces even harder to sing with a limited lung capacity.
I suspect it was done using some sort of a seamless overdubing technique, axmanchris will probably be able to tell us about it better.

Quote by Dunjma

anyway on the topic.. im sure if you did something like monkey wrench then you would be getting pretty energetic at that point and slightly difficult to understand anyway..

Agreed.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 9, 2008,