I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be going with a v33-212 unless it's way too loud for bedroom playing. I chose this because it supposedly has great cleans, has 2 channels, is in my price range if I go to SamAsh, the usual. I heard it has a pretty decent distortion channel but more or bluesy kind of stuff and can't get really heavy. This is okay for most of my needs in the amp but about 25% of the time I'm playing more metal or hardcore kind of stuff. Which distortion/OD pedals would probably be best to try and achieve an Emarosa, Dance Gavin Dance kind of sound or something of the like. I was also maybe looking at at the 120w solid state crate combo (I think it's a flexwave) because it has seperate eq's and a solo channel, would this be a better option in my case?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Stay away from solid state Crates. You'll thank me later.

If you play the heavier stuff more, I say check out the Peavey Valveking.

If not the Crate V33 would be good. Check out the Peavey Classic 30 as well.
If you don't crank it it won't be too loud for bedroom use. If you do crank it will be. A 5watt valve junior is too loud cranked for bedroom use. I would not worry about it Get an attenuator if you want to here power tube distortion.
Quote by stujomo
Get an attenuator if you want to here power tube distortion.

An attenuator would cost more than the amp lol, if I went for the v33 i obviously wouldnt be able to crank it so what would some good pedals be to get a nice metal(core) sound for when i lay that kind of stuff
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
You're not going to get a good metal tone out of these amps. You can pack on all the gain you want but you still won't have the right voicing for the stuff.

You need to figure out if you play the metal stuff more or the other stuff more and decide from there what you're going to get.
I don't know much about metal pedals, the metal muff is recomended often here. You might want a nice crunchy overdrive or something like an MI audio Crunch Box, Lovepedal COT50 Gold to give you nice classic rock tones at lower volumes.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You're not going to get a good metal tone out of these amps. You can pack on all the gain you want but you still won't have the right voicing for the stuff.

So if this is the case, what amp in the same price range would be able to do both?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Don't you need to change the speaker on those?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
Don't you need to change the speaker on those?

You don't NEED to change the speakers. It's just that people like to waste their money on things like modding a Valve King.

The only thing I'd do is swap the tubes and even if you don't it will still sound alright.
i'll have to disagree with you on this one H4T3BR33D3R. True there are folks that don't care for the tone.

i don't feel a new speaker is a waste of money as it can be carried over to other amps. I don't think a speaker swap is needed immediately out of the gate, nor tubes for that matter. Tubes is last on my list. Bad Monkey OD is almost a given tho. Or any OD really for level boost only, not gain boost.

there are some other tricks that can be applied that cost virtually nothing as outlined in The Only Valve King Discussion thread a few pages back.

I'm not saying go buy one, I'm just trying to level set a bit. I can get a WGS Vet30 speaker for example (spring project) and still keep my costs at under $550 including the $50 Bad Monkey.

Total Budget?
Home or Gig?
What kind of music do you play wanna play?
Can you go used? Check your local Craigslist.com and see what you find just for fun.
I dont want to spend a whole lot more than above three hundred on the amp since I need an OD too (so that'll be seperate from the 300). I want something I can play at home but still loud enough to do small gigs. I play anything from muse to blink-182 to classic rock to emarosa/dance gavin dance and eventually some metal once i can play a little better so aside from the metal and the metalcore stuff, I dont need a whole lot of gain but I definitely want it to be there when I need it be it in the form of a pedal or built in. I was thinking tube but if I can get a SS that's good I will too, I care more about the sound rather than whats making it, and I dont mind buying used if its still in good condition.
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
for what you are focused on playing now a medium sized tube combo and OD would be perfect. The 'metal' part is always what makes this tough. If you go with Used Gear you will probably get better value for the money spent that will cover just about everything you will need for years to come. The Crate new is a good deal and hard to pass up. I may get one. If you are interested in a hybrid amp new, the Peavey Vypyrs might be worth a look as well something like a Vox Valvetronix or Fender Superchamp...latter would be pressed to do metalecore for sure.

where do you live roughly? seriously, check craigslist - even if you only use it as an example or for researching used prices.
Yeah I really dont want a modeler though, I checked craigslist for my state, nothing much there. With your valvekind and badmonkey can you get metal tones or is it still not enough?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
not really.

metallica and thrash type metal but not metalcore.

check the clips in the profiles of Sadistic_Sponge and IbanezPsycho and maybe Youtube.

depends on how you define Metal. What bands and styles are you going for? Bugera's get praise for a budget modern metal amp but I think they are $600 new. Keep searching used.

Sadistic has several clips of a Stock VK. The 11 minute one is metal and gets real good at about 4:30 I think.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

and yes a speaker will help this amp fo sho - didn't mean to say that it wouldn't. OD, then EQ, then speaker, then Tubes is my plan.
Well I really like old Emarosa and DGD's tone for the metalcore kinda stuff and actual metal, all that remains and trivium. My little peavy can get a decent metal tone, it just sucks at everything else. And the metal tone Sadistic has doesnt seem to be off too much from what I want when he uses the boost. The only thing with the valveking is that its like 400 and is big, and its 50 watts so bedroom playing seems like itd be a bad idea
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
Yeah I really dont want a modeler though, I checked craigslist for my state, nothing much there. With your valvekind and badmonkey can you get metal tones or is it still not enough?

I can get metalcore with my Valveking... albeit, it takes some serious EQ'ing (onboard and pedal), the "Free" mods, and if I need it any tighter, an OD.

And also, you NEED to spend the extra money for the mods, if you want some serious use out of a VK for your needs.

As 311zoso stated, the Vypyrs are supposed to be excellent modelling amps, and I would suggest you look into them.

But, as much as I hate to say it... save up about $100, and you'll be able to get something that suits you MUCH better than anything suggested thus far.

**EDIT**
Bedroom playing? Get the Vypyr.
So if i did spend another hundred, what would you suggest? I have the cash at hand, its just a matter of me being willing to pay that much
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
So if i did spend another hundred, what would you suggest? I have the cash at hand, its just a matter of me being willing to pay that much

Peavey Ultra series, Marshall DSL/TSL, Bugera-something.

If you don't NEED cleans, the Randall RG50TC (?) is great for metalcore.

*I am referring to combos, unless you have an extra $500
Alot of people severely underestimate what a Classic 30 with a good OD pedal can do. (I.E mine can sound like pantera becuase I threw my Zenith Arteffects in front of it)

Look at Bugeras and Peavey Ultras. I've seen used Peavey XXXs go for 700.

A V33 would be perfect as long as you get a good overdrive.
Yeah I mean I'd go with like a 5150 or something accept It needs to work in my bedroom in addtition to small gigs and stuff and considering itll be in my room more than anything else, its pretty important, what's probably my best bet OD/distortion wise?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Highwaytohell
Alot of people severely underestimate what a Classic 30 with a good OD pedal can do. (I.E mine can sound like pantera becuase I threw my Zenith Arteffects in front of it)

Look at Bugeras and Peavey Ultras. I've seen used Peavey XXXs go for 700.

A V33 would be perfect as long as you get a good overdrive.

My thoughts exactly. OD + tube amp + some EQing = metal, or at least a nice heavy tone. (Told you so Jacob! )

EDIT: You still going to SamAsh tomorrow morning? It's a no-go for me, goddam AP US history...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
My only last thoughts are that IMO the VK CAN be played at lower volumes. I can't play metalcore and I'm still new to guitar/metal but with an OD and the Tricks you can play at softer levels.

when i say softer - i mean being able to play and not make the snare drum in this room make noise.

*goes to put a towel on snare*

but it def gives you enough to gig with. I honestly cannot wait to get a new speaker in here to see what she sounds like....oh...and an EQ.