Why is it bad? Ive heard that in electrics hardly any of your tone comes from the wood.
Please school me.
It's bad because it doesn't really resonate well and most examples used are cheap.

Most cheaper guitars use them like the bronze series B.C. Rich guitars.
It's a bad wood because you dont use the searchbar
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
i had a BC Rich Warlock (see sig) made out of Agathis and that guitar was awesome, the neck was maple and was straight as hell, that guitar had the lowest action i`ve ever played on a guitar, the neck was perfect on that guitar, it was a bolt on but the quality of that warlock was awesome, everything was matched up and smooth, the lines were straight, it was a VERY nice mid grade guitar. as for the tone it was awesome, simply because it had EMG 81/85 PA2 and 18 V mod. wood doesn`t have the impact on active pickups as it does with passive pickups.
Quote by Greenwood991
Ive heard that in electrics hardly any of your tone comes from the wood.

Not true. It's the exact opposite. Kind of.
ITs a decent wood, and i wood say it sounds pretty neutral and not very many characteristics,
Quote by aznmetalhead93
Not true. It's the exact opposite. Kind of.

Emphasis on the kind of.
I've played a few guitars with Agathis and I've always hated it. It always sounds very thin to me and not pleasing at all. I could never play metal on a cheap BC Rich because of that. I prefer Mahogany for that. Of course, I feel the same way about basswood, but I've never played a reasonable guitar made of basswood.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Lol@searchbar post.
i did.

well them im screwed at ever finding a telecaster with a humbucker in the bridge and a single in the neck as the only one like that is made of agathis and apparently that makes it a bad guitar.

o well. thanks guys.
My squier is agathis, and it takes a bit of the brightness out of the pickups, but it isn't bad at all, and EQing takes most of it out. I think it is also quite inconsistent in density. Mine's quite heavy. I've felt some VERY soft lighter ones as well. Not a bad wood by any means, but if it isn't plywood, most solid woods would be fine for guitar.

Doesn't beat alder or ash though.
Quote by Greenwood991
Lol@searchbar post.
i did.

well them im screwed at ever finding a telecaster with a humbucker in the bridge and a single in the neck as the only one like that is made of agathis and apparently that makes it a bad guitar.

o well. thanks guys.

Custom routing job ftw? Or perhaps getting an HH Tele and swapping the neck bucker out for a P90?
Quote by Nightfyre
Custom routing job ftw? Or perhaps getting an HH Tele and swapping the neck bucker out for a P90?

how does one go about putting a single coil in a humbucker slot?
is there like a filler?

EDIT: Nvm. off topic. thanks for the info guys
Last edited by Greenwood991 at Sep 7, 2008,
Agathis simply grows in the part of the world where low price guitars are put together. Alder and ash would need to be shipped there to be assembled then shipped back increasing the cost. Its simple economics some dont want to pay more for a guitar. It gets to be known as bad wood because it comes in low price guitars that arent very good.