well ive hit a plateau for a long time now
i cant play cleanly with the metrenome above about 132 bpm at 16 notes
however i can shit out playin aoround 132 bpm sextuplets and just messing up with a few notes

does anyone no why i cant break this barrier?
i have a pretty weak up stroke wich i have been working on
idk if it has something to do with it
but ive been starting alot of exersizes with up picks and stuff
PLEASE HELP
practice at really slow speeds then go back to the fast speeds then to the slow and slowly work it up, exercises are great, check out the mab speed kills exersises they have some good ones in there. basically practice a SHITLOAD
Well it really depends what your technique is like now and how long you've been on this plateu for to be honest. How long have you been stuck and can you possibly post a video of yourself?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well it really depends what your technique is like now and how long you've been on this plateu for to be honest. How long have you been stuck and can you possibly post a video of yourself?

ive had this platuua for liek a year now
and in my opoion i should be able to pick alot fast cleanly because im much more advanced in other things
i also do practice alot (4-5 hours a day)
but lately i havnt had the motivation to because this ****in pikcing problem
no matter how much i work on it i cant get it better
check out my youtube page
i got 3 vids up that are pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/user/cemetarygat3s31
Well to me it looks like you're pretty fast and clean but if you're still having trouble then you need to go back and break your technique down in to it's component parts and see where there may be a fault, it may be tension or excess movement but there must be something wrong somewhere.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ya im thinking it might be tension or something like that
its just so anoying thoe
no matter wut exersize it is
i cant go over 132 bmp
Quote by cemetarygates31
its just so anoying thoe
i cant go over 132 bmp

Well like I said; go back with a metronome and slowly speed it up until you start introducing tension into your arm/wrist, then go back a few bpm and speed up really slowly, concentrating on exactly what you're doing at every step. It'll be a long and arduous task but it's the only way.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by cemetarygates31
its just so anoying thoe
i cant go over 132 bmp

Why do you care how fast you can play exercises?

You should be more concerned with how well you can use the techniques at your disposal to create music...being able to rattle off how you can play set patterns at however many bpm is only relevant if you want to engage in a willy-waving contest with someone, it's got absolutely no relevance when it comes to how good a guitarist you are.

I guarantee if you shift your focus from exercises to actually playing the thing you'll find yourself getting faster without realising it, but speed isn't something you should be overly concerned with anyway, it's the least important aspect of a players skillset...faster doesn't automatically equate to better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 6, 2008,
Seagull's just wrapped it up in a nutshell.

I used to do exercises all day when I played guitar since I wanted to get faster, then it started to get boring. Learn some songs, get better at learning harder songs then you can use licks out of them for your own music.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
I don't think that it's possible to really answer that question without knowing what it is that you are messing up on.
What sort of exercises are you talking about and what exactly are you messing up on in them?
Coordination/Timing issues?
Is it more picking oriented or left hand oriented?
Does it seem to be more physically oriented or maybe a mental block?

It maybe as simple as shifting your focus away from that particular area for awhile and working on something completely different to break things up. Keep your body guessing with your practice routines....It's very easy for the mind/body to get stagnant by doing the same exact routines over and over.
Play for a few days with no pick at all. Then come back to it.
Play over a country backing using only tapping or something.
Seriously...changing things up will keep the mind/hands/fingers fresh and less prone to ruts and plateaus.

Don
I have the same problem, but I haven't been stuck for so long, I've been playing for about year and a half and I can't go over 125bpm comfortably (16th notes), I regularly practise with metronome doing scales (picking every note), and the main problem is hand synchronisation, is it too much to ask from myself to play at that speed at this moment?
^ That's a common speed for a lot of guitarists to get stuck at. If the problem is LH-RH sync, take a look at how much your fingers are coming off the fretboard. Ideal is 1/4", maybe 1/2" for the pinky which is harder to keep close to the fretboard.

Running up and down scales is probably not the best way to practice this - too many actions required. Use something simpler that allows you to really focus on this part of your technique. And practice very veeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy sllllllloooooooowwwwww. If your goal is to play faster, you will eventually apply the finger movements very quickly, but you learn the finger movements slowly.

Read all the links in Freepower's signature. There is very good advice in there.

All of this said, be sure to maintain a good balance between focusing on technique and actually playing music.