I've been spending a lot of time and effort in producing electronic music in the past few months, and I'm having one problem. Whenever I listen to a final mix in my recording headphones, or any pair of headphones for that matter, it sounds perfect. But if I plug the output of my laptop or ipod into my roommate's speaker system, which sounds EXCELLENT with any other music, the treble gets cut out to a ridiculous extent. Eventually I'm going to try using other systems, but it can't be his system as all other music I play on it sounds amazing.

What do you guys think could be the problem?
Are you using good headphones?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Lower the bass, the speakers obviously can't handel it properly.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
But why does it sound perfect on most ALL sets of headphones, and not on these speakers? Yes, they are good headphones. And again, it's not that the bass is cutting through too much, it's that the treble is cutting through enough.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Are you using good headphones?

Yeah, it could be your headphones have the treble boosted, then you cut the higher frequencies to compensate. When it's played on the balanced speakers, the treble is cut out. Or it could be vice versa, try remastering one your songs with the speakers maybe? Because then you'll have the speaker's frequency right and the treble won't be cut.

EDIT:
Quote by fattyDQ
But why does it sound perfect on most ALL sets of headphones, and not on these speakers? Yes, they are good headphones. And again, it's not that the bass is cutting through too much, it's that the treble is cutting through enough.

Then it's either the speakers or the stereo system's own EQ adjustments.
I think my best bet might be to hold off right now and wait until I can test out my tracks on a bunch of different mediums, what do you guys think? I'm currently in a dorm with only this one set of speakers, so....still I don't understand why these speakers sound the same as my headphones with all other music but my own...
Well you could at least try lowering the bass.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
the same kind of thing happened to my cousins car

except the problem he had was that his battery was low so whenever he tried to turn up his music, there wasnt enough power, so all the power would be diverted to his subs, so it sounded like shit

maybe your signal is too loud?
Quote by rizo299
You should always mix through the best quality speakers you have.

Mixing through headphones leaves a mix designed for headphones I'm afraid.

But couldn't the opposite be true as well or no? As in if I mixed through speakers, it wouldn't sound right in headphones? Or am I wrong?
I never even really thought about that, I thought using recording headphones was the best bet as far as the production process. In my current situation, I'd have to use headphones anyways because as I said I'm in a college dorm : )