Hi.

I'm buying a new guitar and I cant decide between these two.

I can get a new Explorer for the same price of a used V.

Either way I can't test it before I get it, although I've tried both shapes and I love them both.

If I get an Explorer it will be this one:
http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_explorer_76.htm

And here is a V I've been looking at:
http://www.blocket.se/vi/17932446.htm?ca=2_s

What do you think? Used V or new Explorer?

And another thing, what's a Vibrola like? Does it go out of tune easily?

Thank you.
Explorer, because you can actually sit down and play it whereas paying a V sitting down is pretty tricky. That said, unless the Vibrola has tuning stability issues I'd probably go for it instead just for some subtle vibrato effects. You're a lucky SOB, you know that?
EDIT: Gibson Vibrola
It's about as stable as a Strat tailpiece apparently. I don't know how that will affect your decision, but there it is.
NOR'EDIT: If you really want a trem you could probably get a Kahler Hybrid installed on the Explorer and still have it cost less than the V, but with much better tuning stability than a Vibrola. Minimal routing, too. Just saying.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 6, 2008,
I'm sure there is some weird conversion there.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

i say the explorer , its new, cheaper, and in my opinion cooler looking
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Quote by mikerev
um, that V is 9000! Or am i reading it wrong?

probably some type of european money.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by Nightfyre
Explorer, because you can actually sit down and play it whereas paying a V sitting down is pretty tricky. That said, unless the Vibrola has tuning stability issues I'd probably go for it instead just for some subtle vibrato effects. You're a lucky SOB, you know that?
It's about as stable as a Strat tailpiece apparently. I don't know how that will affect your decision, but there it is.

Lies. I play a V and the lower wing just goes under my right leg. It's actually very comfortable.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by lpcustom325
i say the explorer , its new, cheaper, and in my opinion cooler looking

Actually, I say go used so you can try it out. I would never buy a Gibson new these days without playing it first (can't do that if you order online) since the quality control isn't that good and there is alot of money involved. Also, the V is from the 90's when the quality control was better. If you like the looks of the explorer i would sugest you look for a used one there too.

EDIT: jag antar att du e svensk :P så några exempel på explorers
http://vendolin.se/Annonce_Detail.asp?rub=&annonceid=5468206
http://vendolin.se/Annonce_Detail.asp?rub=&annonceid=5468206
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by KnarkoV at Sep 6, 2008,
Personally i would choose the V cus generally prefer the V and they are more popular. Also a vibrola won't make much difference to the tuning, it might go out of tune slightly quicker than a tune-o-matic bridge, but there won't be much difference, otherwise gibson wouldn't sell it would they.
Quote by chuckflan333
Lies. I play a V and the lower wing just goes under my right leg. It's actually very comfortable.

Really? At least somebody can pull it off, that's kind of awkward for me. Personal experience, I guess.
luke-bassist: Don't be a fanboy. They'll do whatever they want as long as it sells, and as I noted before it's not as stable as a hardtail or FR.
I think the explorer is better
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Quote by Nightfyre
NOR'EDIT: If you really want a trem you could probably get a Kahler Hybrid installed on the Explorer and still have it cost less than the V, but with much better tuning stability than a Vibrola. Minimal routing, too. Just saying.

I find the V's really comfortable to play sitting down.

The guitar doesn't have to have a tremolo, but it would be nice to have one.

Quote by dante_3_16
I think the explorer is better

What makes the Explorer better?
Last edited by Warlock_ at Sep 6, 2008,
Of what I understand, the Explorer and the V is the same guitar, sort of, but with different shapes. so...if you like the explorer shape better, get it.

Explorern är äckligt mycket snyggare än en V f ö.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Warlock_
I find the V's really comfortable to play sitting down.

The guitar doesn't have to have a tremolo, but it would be nice to have one.

What makes the Explorer better?

The explorer is new and the fliying V is used (also it has a strange trem that I am almost sure will give tunning issues

If they were both new, It would be a mater of what shape he likes more and finds more confortable bacause they are almost the same guitar but with diferenet shapes
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Quote by Nightfyre
Really? At least somebody can pull it off, that's kind of awkward for me. Personal experience, I guess.
luke-bassist: Don't be a fanboy. They'll do whatever they want as long as it sells, and as I noted before it's not as stable as a hardtail or FR.

You probably did what I did my first time playing the V. Sat it on your lap. Its much more comfortable to play in classical position.
If they both were new and were the same price I would get the V.

But the V is $200 more than the Explorer and I can barely afford the Explorer.
Jeg synes at du skal kjøpe den V guran Utrolig sexy akkurat den 9000 er ikke allverdens penger heller.
I want a V but I don't like buying things used, I have no guarantee and can't send it back if there's something wrong with it.

And I have no chance of testing the guitar before I buy it.
get the explorer, theyre less awkward to play sitting down, and ive noticed the design usually grows on people, the v is the retarted cousin of gibson. get the explorer! (besides, its new, and has less stuff possible wrong with it)