I just realized that the back of my guitar is plagued with many, many minor scratches. I've been trying to figure out where they came from, since I didn't notice them when I first got the guitar.

I've been doing some research and it seems like cotton shirts will scratch the guitar. I wear nothing but cotton shirts, and when I play the guitar (obviously) is resting on my lap with my shirt pressed up against it, so I'm hoping this isn't the problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?
Cotton shouldnt scratch a guitar.

Also your shirt shouldnt be pressed against the guitar when you play or your technique and posture must be terrible.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Well not pressed, but when you sit down it's on your lap and it's touching your shirt. I think I'm too anal about the whole thing, but I'm sure I would have noticed the scratches when I was messing with the floyd rose in the back....

Why does this shit always seem to happen? ****
I get it from buttons on shirts or buttons on my jeans sometimes, but i play standing up, so i know thats where theyve come from, but sitting down :P im not sure, unless you clean the back of with a great vigor :P
I think from the buttons on the jeans..
Clothes don't make scratches..
and also if your wearing those spikes at your hand ... take them off
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
i dont think it could scratch, i had an old guitar and these weird scratches started to appear, it was the gig bag zipper scratching it

check every place you put your guitar on
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Yeah I have noticed my belt buckle and 2 wallet chains have left some beauty marks on the back of my Schecter. I use a torn up 100% cotton shirt to wipe down my guitar, it will not harm the finish to touch it with cotton.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Maybe it's my bed sheets. I lay the thing down on my bed, but I don't know why it would scratch it.... I need a guitar stand bad. I have a case for it but it's annoying as **** to keep laying it down inside.
I had that problem and picked up a stand from Guitar Center for $20, maybe think about just getting one? Have you tried wiping away the scratches? Maybe it's dust or things gathering... unless you sleep on sand I see it hard for bed sheets to really have enough abrasiveness to actually scratch it...

Is your belt buckle exposed while you play? Or pressed up against your shirt which is pressed against the guitar? Do you wear a wallet chain?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
No, I have no chains, watches, spikes, anything on me. I'm going to go buy a stand.
Quote by gardon
I just realized that the back of my guitar is plagued with many, many minor scratches. I've been trying to figure out where they came from, since I didn't notice them when I first got the guitar.

I've been doing some research and it seems like cotton shirts will scratch the guitar. I wear nothing but cotton shirts, and when I play the guitar (obviously) is resting on my lap with my shirt pressed up against it, so I'm hoping this isn't the problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Try a cotton dress.
Quote by robertreilly666

Also your shirt shouldnt be pressed against the guitar when you play or your technique and posture must be terrible.

The hell? I'd like you to point out someone who plays guitar without it touching their shirt... :/

Why do you think guitars are contoured so they feel comfortable when up against your body?
general chemistry, only a material harder then the finish will be able to scratch it, a bit of cotton is not hard enough,

the rough part of a sponge is as my friend discovered when he was trying to clean his guitar
They're not as bad as those glass shard shirts...ow.
I don't think cotton shirts will do anything, i wear them and play sometimes.
You can get a minor scratch from one pick movement, or one fingernail, or whatever. Most likely not the shirt.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Guitars will get scratched whether you like it or not. My month and a half old lp custom already has quite a collection of scratches from jean and such. You just have to deal with it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Are you rubbing it up and down against your zipper when you play? Nevermind, I don't want to know...
Quote by StiltonCheese
The hell? I'd like you to point out someone who plays guitar without it touching their shirt... :/

Why do you think guitars are contoured so they feel comfortable when up against your body?

+1

If the guitar isn't touching your shirt at all when you play, you must be bending your back, and THAT's bad posture (and potentially damaging to you in the long run).
Quote by BrockTandem
Play naked.

i agree. can I siggy that?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by robertreilly666

unless you're sitting down, i don't see how thats physically possible.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yeah dude, its a simple fact that guitars will get scratched.

my ald strat has been butchered over the years of gigging with her, but i think she looks "weathered" in a stylish way.

do you wear jeans? cos the little metal studs in them and the buttons n zippers will scratch your geet, but short of only wearing tracksuits while playing (how styleeeeeee - not) you cant get away from this.

just accept that if you want to play her, she will get scratched
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.