So my birthday is in 3 days, and my mom got me some guitar stuff for my birthday. She bought me the following: a footswitch (Alesis CF-1) some jumper cables and a power adapter (9v).

Now here's the kicker: I have no idea how to plug said footswitch in. It has no input or output ports - instead, it has some cables coming out of it that say "UP", "DOWN" and "EXPR". I understand that part of it is an expression pedal, but where does it go? I've already tried plugging UP and DOWN into my effects loop, switched them around, and plugged UP, DOWN and EXPR into the footswitch slot. Have I goofed up and bought the wrong thing, or am I just doing it wrong? The manual was no help, either, as it only contained safety instructions.

Pics below:

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You got the wrong thing - it's a controller for an amp as far as I gather:

http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/7514/tt/5
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Sounds like it's not compatible with your amp... this pedal only supports certain amplifiers. What are you playing through?
Quote by Simsimius
You got the wrong thing - it's a controller for an amp as far as I gather:

http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/7514/tt/5

However, Alesis states it works with many different amps. And Amazon represents it as a footswitch... well, damn.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
However, Alesis states it works with many different amps. And Amazon represents it as a footswitch... well, damn.

Yeah - but the pedals appear to affect built in amp functions - thus the lack of "input" and "output".

I wonder if you can complain to amazon and get a refund + extra money for not informing you of what the product is.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Yeah - but the pedals appear to affect built in amp functions - thus the lack of "input" and "output".

I wonder if you can complain to amazon and get a refund + extra money for not informing you of what the product is.

I don't think so, because it seems it wasn't sold by Amazon - but by 8th Street Music. Amazon is just the middle man here.

Well, at least now I have a cool drink coaster. Thanks for all your help, guys.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Am I the only one who feels genuinely bad whenever I hear news like this? Mainly, parents making a genuine mistake or being mislead. Just sucks to hear about it.

Try just returning it to the company, as long as you pay for return shipping they shouldn't really care...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Am I the only one who feels genuinely bad whenever I hear news like this? Mainly, parents making a genuine mistake or being mislead. Just sucks to hear about it.

Try just returning it to the company, as long as you pay for return shipping they shouldn't really care...

me too, i don't mind companies making a profit when they do good work, but i can't stand them making money by being misleading.

i'm sorry to hear it won't seem to work, raijouta, i'm not quite sure what to do to help... return postage might end up costing more than the pedal...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i used to own a alesis modeling amp and that pedal would work for that. It changes banks, and presets. Its not a "footswitch" pedal(it won't change channels on a 2 channel amp), this will only work for a modeling amp. I almost bought this one for my alesis amp instead i sold the amp and got a VK. Return it if u can it won't work on your amp.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1