HI, I'm looking for the saddest, most haunting and abyssmal chord porgressions. Any key really as I can always transpose. If possible a chord porgression that does not resolve anywhere. Thanks.

Check out the UG article Got the Bad Case of the Blues? Sad and Depressing Chord Progressions
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
I have the same problem right now.
For me perfect one for sad is |: Em D | C C :|
Dinosaur Jr - "Alone" is based on this progression, you might like it.

Basicly, natural minor is the saddest scale in my opinion.
¡ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs sı sıɥʇ
Last edited by zadzior at Sep 6, 2008,
| C B7 | Em Em |
Creep by Stone Temple Pilots
and later it goes
| Em F# | G Am | or something.
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 6, 2008,
try this...........l Dm Am l C Em l the natural minor is also, in my opinion, the saddest scale
Yeah, I'm not quite thinking sad as in those songs I'm thinking sad as in utterly depressing and ruin your whole day sad. Sad is in Funeral Doom. I'll give those progressions a try though. No resolution in the progression if possible
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Last edited by bassburton at Sep 6, 2008,
Em and Am...just lay on like four minors in a row. :P

Actually, A2-F, like in "Something in the Way" by Nirvana sounds pretty sad.
The Wheel of Time turns. What was may be again, and what is may yet pass...
Keep to your minors and you'll always get sad stuff, I personally like ||:Em-Am:|| Fm-Gm:||
Peta, talking to the dead, stranger danger, alt. medicine, the war on drugs, recycling, esp, conspiracy theories, and gun control are all BULLSHIT...if you've seen the show you know what I'm talking about.
Quote by mzhang13
Well, Lydian is the saddest mode...if that helps...well, it's considered the darkest...

Since when?
I want to say its the Phrygian Mode that is creepy and haunting, but I could be wrong.
Listen to El Farol by Santana, it's a beautiful but seriously sad song. Dunno about the chords, DIY :P
Tune your guitar to a minor tuning. Then just barre your bottom off all across the neck and the tears will flow in rivers.

Open D minor, for example - D-A-D-F-A-D (low to high)

Or just tune your guitar down a full step. Maybe even one and a half...two whole steps if you're feeling REAL sad and if your guitar/strings can stay in tune that low. It really gives the guitar a darker, broodier sound. And yeah, stick to the minor chords.

I like
Em-Em-D-D
Em-Em-D-D
C-D-C-B

Throw a b7-em transition in there and you're golden.
I seem to read a lot about modes. For anyone who doesn't know what that means, here's a guide.

Ionian-I
Dorian-II
Phrygian-III
Lydian-IV
Mixolydian-V
Aolian-VI
Locrian-VII
Aolian is the same as natural minor, by the way.

As to the issue, try something like 1 2 m3 dim2 1. Add chords, (1-m, 2-m, m3-M, dim2-aug) maybe stay within the key. Having a major chord won't necessarily make it happier, although for what you want it would probably be best to use it in passing only. If you add a 7 on a minor, try making it a M7. This imitates Harmonic minor, also a good passing chord.
Quote by Halakar

Aolian is the same as natural minor, by the way.

As to the issue, try something like 1 2 m3 dim2 1. Add chords, (1-m, 2-m, m3-M, dim2-aug) maybe stay within the key. Having a major chord won't necessarily make it happier, although for what you want it would probably be best to use it in passing only. If you add a 7 on a minor, try making it a M7. This imitates Harmonic minor, also a good passing chord.

+1

You actually taught me something
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
Dm key. just ask spinal tap.
listen to the song 'suck my love pump' by them
lol
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by bassburton
HI, I'm looking for the saddest, most haunting and abyssmal chord porgressions. Any key really as I can always transpose. If possible a chord porgression that does not resolve anywhere. Thanks.

Simple answer: There's more to a sad song than a sad chord progression. Yes, I know that's not what you're asking, but think about it. A song that's constantly droning on and on and on with the same sad slow progression will probably get old really fast. (in my opinion!)

Even simpler answer: Listen to Elliott Smith. Do what he does.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Haha I've never listened to Elliot Smith before you said list to him. And now i love his music haha
I really like G to Em, but between you have to go 3-2-0 on the low E as a transition.(if this makes any sense to you good job because I can't really explain it). At least that's what I do if I'm transitioning between those two chords, and it really helps get that I'm sad and don't feel like explaining it sound.
at the moment I'm thinking Eb; Gm; BbSus(4); D.

With the Eb and D being major of course. I'm pretty certain that doesn't resolve as I am desperately trying to make it do so, for my AS music composition - my brief being to write a love song
I pretty much made up all these chords myself but it still is sad. Get an acoustic and play around with hammer-ons and that open B and you got some good stuff.

Gadd9, G, Gsus2/F#, F#madd9-, Emadd9, Em, Em9, G7M

--------.-.--.-.-.--.-,
Chord   |E|A |D|G| B|e|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Gadd9   |x|10|9|0|10|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
G       |x|10|9|0|12|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Gsus2/F#|x| 9|7|0| 8|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
F#madd9 |x| 9|7|0|10|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Emadd9  |x| 7|5|0| 7|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Em      |x| 7|5|0| 8|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Em9     |x| 5|4|0| 5|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
G7M     |x| 5|4|0| 3|x|
--------'-'--'-'-'--'-'
i go for the blues scale thats kinda sad and incroperate the lydian or locrain modes to give it a more dark feel. as for your chords try ike em dm and am to EM
im in the fastlane on the highway to hell
Try C Major 7th to Em, or Em to D/E (no 5). Real sad. Or if you want haunting, try G Minor to F# Minor to A# Minor to A Minor.
D-minor chord progressions are often sad, and a sad scale to it is the harmonic minor scale in D

---5---6----------9---------------------------------
---5---6-------8------------------------------------
-------6---7---------------------------------------
---5-------7---8------------------------------------
---5-------7---8-----------------------------------
---5----6-------- 9--------------------------------
Quote by B00bs
I pretty much made up all these chords myself but it still is sad. Get an acoustic and play around with hammer-ons and that open B and you got some good stuff.

Gadd9, G, Gsus2/F#, F#madd9-, Emadd9, Em, Em9, G7M

--------.-.--.-.-.--.-,
Chord |E|A |D|G| B|e|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Gadd9 |x|10|9|0|10|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
G |x|10|9|0|12|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Gsus2/F#|x| 9|7|0| 8|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
F#madd9 |x| 9|7|0|10|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Emadd9 |x| 7|5|0| 7|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Em |x| 7|5|0| 8|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
Em9 |x| 5|4|0| 5|x|
--------+-+--+-+-+--+-|
G7M |x| 5|4|0| 3|x|
--------'-'--'-'-'--'-'

Isn't that an open G?
I like what Breaking Benjamin does in "breath" It's G - D/F# - Em - C - D But it is on the high side and does resolve...
food1010  One of my favorite songs, and I also like STP, but Creep is by Radiohead, another fav.
[url="(Invalid video video code)]Radiohead - Creep - YouTube
Quote by bassburton

I'm looking for a sad chord too for an art project I'm working on.  Did you ever find what you were looking for?
Quote by mzhang13
Well, Lydian is the saddest mode...if that helps...well, it's considered the darkest...

Hi Michael, I'm not a musician, so can you tell me what is Lydian, and what note in minor is the darkest, saddest, etc.?