Would You Give Guitar Hero or Rock Band the Right to Use Your Songs?

Page 1 of 2
if this has been done before by all means shut it down. But if you were a famous guitarist/frontman for a band, would you let a video game use your songs? Think of the positives and the negatives before you post. One the positive side, you would make a buttload of money off of it. On the negative side, you would become very mainstream. However, you might like being mainstream. There are several ways of looking at this situation.
For me personally i would not let GH or Rock band use my songs if i was famous. The money would be good but i just couldn't stand the thoughts of being that mainstream.

And just for the record i liked slash way before guitar hero so dont flame me because of my name. in fact i was pretty upset that he let GH use him as a character.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

i would because then more people will like u and ur songs
Quote by 08don
yes, thank you guitarfreak. free bj for you anytime. just not from me. no homo.
It depends what track it is, i mean id let a single go onto one of the games, but not a different track from my album. Singles are kinda meant to be mainstream if you know what i mean...
i would, money apart, its one hell of a publicity

mainstream is nothing, some "extra" fans for a year or so, the people who would really like my music would still like it, i see no harm in it
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
I would, but I'd donate the money.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
No poll?

I dont like you.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
WTF's up with all this scared-of-becoming-mainstream crap?! Damn, it's nothing more than trying waaay to hard, instead of focusing on the music. Slash (Guns N' Roses) was VERY VERY VERY popular way before the notion of Guitar Hero even existed.

I personally think it's just a game, a lot of people find it fun, and a song being there has nothing to do with turning mainstream. It features a lot of guitar-classics, and I think it's great because a lot of the younger people might fall in love with a really great band because of this game.
for rent
I don't get what you're going on about with the whole 'mainstream' thing, this hypothetical situation does involve the band already being famous so it wouldn't be that big a difference.

The money isn't the only positive, the music would be spread to new audiences who can appreciate it but might not have heard it before. So yeah, I'd definitely agree to do it.
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
As much as I don't like some of the aspects of the games, of course I'd let them use my songs! Get a shitload of money AND have loads of kids jamming along to your song and getting into your band.
I would, and if you wouldn't, you're an idiot. Though I don't write wankery, so I doubt I'd ever get the offer anyway.
Quote by dannyboy1992
yeah
people who hate mainstream music because its simply mainstream are idiot imo

This.
Quote by dannyboy1992
yeah

This.
Yeah, the publicity would be incredible.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
It doesn't make you mainstream.
My friend told me about two great bands that he found in GH/Rock Band. Coheed and cambria and killswitch engage.
But they're both not mainstream... :|
~Carl
Anyone who isn't willing to let harmonix or neversoft use their music, including their master tracks (unless they're obviously damaged), are morons, including the remaining members of led zepplin.
you guys are bringing up great points, keep em comin!
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

I would.
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Motley Crue released the album on guitar hero(or rock band, i dont remember) the same day it came out on itunes
they sold more on guitar hero than itunes by a large amount
so yes, cause its just another way to get your music out there
Quote by dannyboy1992
yeah

Yes I would let them, as I love Guitar Hero. I would relish the opportunity to struggle at playing my own songs, and it would help my music get a little more exposure.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
its funny because GH has brought a lot of bands back into a popular state. especially the older bands like G'n'R. I've heard kids in school tell me, "Hey, did you hear that new band called Guns 'n Roses on guitar hero? That Sweet Child 'o Mine song is awesome." yes, i heard kids say GnR were a 'new band'.
Quote by randomhero93
its funny because GH has brought a lot of bands back into a popular state. especially the older bands like G'n'R. I've heard kids in school tell me, "Hey, did you hear that new band called Guns 'n Roses on guitar hero? That Sweet Child 'o Mine song is awesome." yes, i heard kids say GnR were a 'new band'.

Like GNR weren't popular enough already...
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Narciel
I'd let Rock Band use my tracks. Not guitar hero though.

Agreed, while Harmonix is just another corperation. They actually care about their fans, and the music. For example they don't beleive in making any of the artists with songs in the game exclusive to Rock Band only. They said it would make fans of the band that play guitar hero miss out on all the fun.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
i wouldnt. Granted I would never get the offer, but I still wouldnt. Its not what the music is about to me. Its not a tool to make money its a form of expression and release. I could honestly give a shit less if i ever sold a million albums, but I know id never let it be put on a game to make some money or get my bands name out there. I want my music to sell itself without being *****d. These games are a joke. Everyone has their own opinion and this is mine. I have nothing against making money, but selling my song to a Guitar Hero game would never happen. Selling my songs to a game for some fake ass kids to play and like it for 2 weeks then drop it. I take my music alot more seriously than that.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Sep 6, 2008,
Quote by randomhero93

This is a lie, and you are a liar. Don't make up stories, especially if you're bad at it.
Quote by rebeltildeth87
i wouldnt. Granted I would never get the offer, but I still wouldnt. Its not what the music is about to me. Its not a tool to make money its a form of expression and release. I could honestly give a shit less if i ever sold a million albums, but I know id never let it be put on a game to make some money or get my bands name out there. I want my music to sell itself without being *****d. These games are a joke. Everyone has their own opinion and this is mine. I have nothing against making money, but selling my song to a Guitar Hero game would never happen. Selling my songs to a game for some fake ass kids to play and like it for 2 weeks then drop it. I take my music alot more seriously than that.

Sounds like you take yourself way too seriously, hon. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are both fun games that are intended to be just that - fun games. They also give people a great opportunity to find new music that they like. And if you're getting asked for your song, it is selling itself.
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
Apparently they don't pay the bands at ALL for using their songs
according to The Fall of Troy.

I probably would, I mean looking at TFOT it didn't boost them enough to send them into
mainstream, but still gave them a bit bigger of a fanbase.
you know the coolest music video ever would be one of you playing your own song on rockband
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
Yeah. Like other people have said, the publicity is massive. Also, my band is pretty much aiming to be mainsteam, so people saying "You've sold out doesn't really matter".
Quote by demonmouse500
Sounds like you take yourself way too seriously, hon. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are both fun games that are intended to be just that - fun games. They also give people a great opportunity to find new music that they like. And if you're getting asked for your song, it is selling itself.

i dont take myself very seriously, but i take music more seriously than to sell it to a game that I have never liked or wanted to support. and like I said I would never be asked anyways because I would never plan on being near mainstreamed enough to be on a collaboration of pop rock. and like i say, its my opinion. If someone wants their songs to be on rock band thats fine, I just would never do it.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Gimme my money and you can do whatever you want with it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I would but I don't think they'd ask me seeing as the only songs I've got anywhere near completing are drone :P
I would as long as I don't hear a kid yelling to his mommy that he just beat my song on expert.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
Quote by the_extremist00
i would, money apart, its one hell of a publicity

mainstream is nothing, some "extra" fans for a year or so, the people who would really like my music would still like it, i see no harm in it

I agree. Nobody looks at At the Gates anyless for letting their song go RB.

What does grind my gears is the kids that play guitar at my school that only know songs from Rock Band or GH, and when i have my guitar and ill get is requests for songs from those games. It's like CMON PEOPLE!
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
Quote by Anthony1991
It depends what track it is, i mean id let a single go onto one of the games, but not a different track from my album. Singles are kinda meant to be mainstream if you know what i mean...

ide have to agree there. If you have a major hit out there whats wrong with letting it go on? but a secondary song on your cd which isnt all that famous yet? just gives pepole a chacne to get more free songs from you, and prmoting your not best songs is kinda dumb
Quote by rebeltildeth87
i dont take myself very seriously, but i take music more seriously than to sell it to a game that I have never liked or wanted to support. and like I said I would never be asked anyways because I would never plan on being near mainstreamed enough to be on a collaboration of pop rock. and like i say, its my opinion. If someone wants their songs to be on rock band thats fine, I just would never do it.

You've never even played guitar hero, have you?
Page 1 of 2