Whenever I am sitting and playing , I get this strange pain in my right shoulder. It goes away quickly if I stop playing, but it can really be a nuisance....
I have adjusted my arm in different positions, but I still seem to get this pain.
Could stretching help before playing?

Any other suggestions?

thanks!
Quote by IRONxPANTERA
Whenever I am sitting and playing , I get this strange pain in my right shoulder. It goes away quickly if I stop playing, but it can really be a nuisance....
I have adjusted my arm in different positions, but I still seem to get this pain.
Could stretching help before playing?

Any other suggestions?

thanks!

yes! you have to warm up before playing.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I can even get this pain while warming up.
note, i only get it when i play sitting down.
I think its something to do with blood flow and maybe not enough in your right arm.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'd imagine while sitting down your bass is sitting higher in relation to your shoulder and you'd therefore need to have your shoulder in a more awkward, higher position. I guess
Stretch your arms, including your shoulders, wrists. Move your fingers and loosen them up. Also, warm up before playing and keep relaxed at all times, there shouldn't be any tension in your shoulder.

Make sure you're not slouching over or anything either, and wear a good wide strap.
Levis makes some really nice wide guitar straps. Yes, they cost more, but they are comfortable, wear well and look sharp.
^ Ya I have the 4.5" wide one. It's nice and really comfortable, but it has two problems. 1 is kinda my fault, as it turns out 4.5" is actually... um... very, very, very wide. My shoulders aren't very wide, it kinda looks weird if I don't position it right. but that's not a big deal. Plus, the reason I got it was because it was wide. I just didn't expect it to be that wide. The other problem is slightly more important. It is a very thick strap, and the hole for your strap button is very thin, plus the leather is kind of stiff. Because of that, it was an absolute b**** to put strap locks on. I got them on in the end (barely), with the washers even, but it took about a half hour and I ended up having to use the longest wrench i could find in order to even screw on the nut. still its a great strap and I'm very pleased with it. especially because it's a comfort strap, but it doesn't really look like one, and leather is very nice. I know $50 is kind of expensive, but the fact that I cant even feel the weight of the bass on my shoulder (only the strap) makes it all worth it

Oh wait... you could also try keeping your shoulders relaxed before spending $50 on a new strap ...
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
The same thing happens to me.

Basically, it since, the guitar is on your lap, will, in this case, bass, and (assuming your a finger player), you have to raise your shoulder for your fingertips to hit the E string (thickest).

Holding your shoulder up that high will restrict bloodflow into your arm.

You might notice if you continue playing so, your fingers will begin to tire as well.

So far, I havent found anything that really helps, except for taking a minute break between songs.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
how do you sit?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I sit with my bass (Dean ML) in my lap, I try to watch my posture, and everything else I do is pretty normal...
Quote by Mootallica
The same thing happens to me.

Basically, it since, the guitar is on your lap, will, in this case, bass, and (assuming your a finger player), you have to raise your shoulder for your fingertips to hit the E string (thickest).

Holding your shoulder up that high will restrict bloodflow into your arm.

You might notice if you continue playing so, your fingers will begin to tire as well.

So far, I havent found anything that really helps, except for taking a minute break between songs.

This makes the most sense to me, thanks a lot.