Right now I have a set of these (pic below) on my Jackson (SL3 Soloist)
and my actions set to about 2 - 2 1/2mm, which is the closest I can get it without fret buzz on the lower strings.

If I were to change to these:

a) Would I be able to get an action closer to 1mm without buzz on the lower strings(assuming my truss rod is adjusted properly)?

b) Would there be a drastic loss in tone?

Any ideas UG?
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
dont know about tone
if you run your guitar straight to the amp, you prob here a bit of tone loss, if you run it through a load of effects prob wont here the difference in tone.
i take it the guitar has a floyd rose? (seen as its a jackson)
if it had a fixed bridge youd prob notice a big loss in sustain, but floating trems arn't great for massive sustain any way so prob wont make too much difference
you'l wanna adjust your truss rod to compensate for less tension and yeah you might be able to lower the action a bit more but not much
if you go from top heavies to lights your neck will relax and straighten out or even back bow, even more so if you take off all the strings at once.

so you would need to adjust the neck then see where that leaves you as far as adjusting the action at the bridge afterwards.

no one will be able to tell you for sure if any adjustments will be needed.
you would have to try and see.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if you go from top heavies to lights your neck will relax and straighten out or even back bow, even more so if you take off all the strings at once.

so you would need to adjust the neck then see where that leaves you as far as adjusting the action at the bridge afterwards.

no one will be able to tell you for sure if any adjustments will be needed.
you would have to try and see.

thats why you adjust the neck

seriously though i think the gain of playability vs. tone loss is worth it
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
It seems I have to say this too often in this forum. If 10s are too heavy, and 9s are too light, use what I use.

They feel and sound GREAT.
Quote by British_Steal
thats why you adjust the neck

seriously though i think the gain of playability vs. tone loss is worth it

i find heavy gauge strings a lot easier to play (use power slinkys .11s to .48s)
its just a personal thing
a) Would I be able to get an action closer to 1mm without buzz on the lower strings(assuming my truss rod is adjusted properly)?

that's specifically what i was answering.
yes you can adjust the neck, but no one can tell you how low you'll be able to go, or how much adjustment will be needed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011