well i've been playing guitar in my bedroom by myself for about a year and a half now. today i went to a friends house to jam. never played with anyone before so it was a new experience. i get there, plug into one of his amps and he plugs into his and we just jam for about an hour or so. i get home and have nothing to do so i pick up my guitar again and play. wow. it's like a whole new world of guitar playing for me now. all of a sudden, i'm playing sick riffs made up off the top of my head like they are nothing.

did one of these "revolutionary" experiences happen to you guys? its weird. all of a sudden, i'm playing like i've never played before. i hope i will still be able to play like i did today, tomorrow (and the next day, and the next day, etc.).
no. you are now a God.
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by madshatter
well i've been playing guitar in my bedroom by myself for about a year and a half now. today i went to a friends house to jam. never played with anyone before so it was a new experience. i get there, plug into one of his amps and he plugs into his and we just jam for about an hour or so. i get home and have nothing to do so i pick up my guitar again and play. wow. it's like a whole new world of guitar playing for me now. all of a sudden, i'm playing sick riffs made up off the top of my head like they are nothing.

did one of these "revolutionary" experiences happen to you guys? its weird. all of a sudden, i'm playing like i've never played before. i hope i will still be able to play like i did today, tomorrow (and the next day, and the next day, etc.).

reminds me of the time i played with mah boy hendrix. ahh what a day that was.
I've never had a good jam. In fact, I hate jams.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I hate "jamming." Most of the time it's just a couple of people wanking without any structures or thoughts over a generic and static chord progression. So boring.

I do love to pick out a few jazz standards with someone else and run through it a few times.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yep. Playing with other musicians is hands down the best and fastest way to progress. I was playing about 2 years before I hooked up with my band, and my playing got dramaticly better almost immediately.

Do it often
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
jamming is probobly my favorite thing to do, whether it is by myself or with others, i absolutely love it. i don't know why you all hate it o.O
Quote by Xiaoxi
I hate "jamming." Most of the time it's just a couple of people wanking without any structures or thoughts over a generic and static chord progression. So boring.

I do love to pick out a few jazz standards with someone else and run through it a few times.

stop being such a snob

To OP, yeah, Jamming's great

I remember feeling like that, yeah, it's great.

Keep jamming and playing
wat.
in the absence of metaldud: good, you could take on the goldenrod gym now.

But really, there's a feeling that you get when you play together sometimes where you're just completely pumped up. Its a great feeling. its like being on stage.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Yeah man.

I've "jammed" with my roommates and friends before and it was never anything good. I would rather sit down with someone for a few hours and come up with a solid piece and play through that fully. Much more satisfying than wanking around, as you said.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
depends on who i am with, but 90% of the time it is me playing whatever comes to mind with my friend(s) trying to just follow or make up stuff to go along with it. Rest is me just making up leads over whatever they are playing.
Quote by ViperScale
depends on who i am with, but 90% of the time it is me playing whatever comes to mind with my friend(s) trying to just follow or make up stuff to go along with it. Rest is me just making up leads over whatever they are playing.

Erm, isn't that pretty much the definition of "jamming"?
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
You are now in your second evolutionary stage. Keep it up.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by Garou1911
Erm, isn't that pretty much the definition of "jamming"?

not really... sometimes jamming ends up more of just people playing in the same room but no the same thing or anything related. But then maybe you would just call that bad jamming. Also I would consider jamming if you are playing the same song that you both know like playing metallica together and each taking a different person's part. Then you can jam by just making stuff up and each trying to find stuff that fits.
Quote by frankv
Good for you.

The feeling you get for having a succesful jam is awesome. Too bad I haven't had one in quite a while.

i know what you mean. Only guy i've been jamming with has been my cousin's husband, and he's like a library of songs, but he hogs all the solos.
Lol I was supposed to jam with some friends today..I brought my guitar and all, everything was set up, and we ended up playing xbox the whole time xD
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
... you have a long way to go.
Wait until you start playing in a full band with perfect unison.
Then you'll have a "revolutionary experience"
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
I don't jam well. Then again, I've only jammed with my friends who play way out of my league, I can't keep up.

I did find that after I jammed with them the first time, I was playing better =/.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by ViperScale
not really... sometimes jamming ends up more of just people playing in the same room but no the same thing or anything related. But then maybe you would just call that bad jamming. Also I would consider jamming if you are playing the same song that you both know like playing metallica together and each taking a different person's part. Then you can jam by just making stuff up and each trying to find stuff that fits.

I suppose. In the first scenario I'd say it's time to figure out keys. I personally dislike playing other people's material unless it's just to blow off some steam, so when our band practices we generally just make stuff up off the top of our heads. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it generally sounds coherent because we play in the same key and tempo. We aren't playing pre-determined riffs but I still consider it jamming.

Iunno. To each his own I guess
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
I love jamming, its really fun. And it does help to build your confidence as a guitarist and come up with new ideas. Glad you had fun
I can see how some people hate jamming.
I don't like basic jamming i.e. 3 chords back and forth.
It's lame IMO...
I like it to be 'artistic' I guess.
Quote by Xiaoxi

That happens to me sometimes. Eventually I end up feeling that i am just providing colouring to random rhythm section stuff. Anything I write on these occasions looks really generic when i take a step back. You have to write with your head and your heart, not your hands.

You can definately have too much of a good thing.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Jamming isn't just one person soloing over another person's chord progression.

Jamming is at it's best when one person starts laying down a riff, and someone else comes in on top of that and expands it. Then guitar 1 can play off that. And so on and so forth. Only the simplest organization is required.

Sittin around with a buddy or two, a case of beer, and just jamming, is one of the most fun, laid back activities you can do.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by Xiaoxi

/fag

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by frankv
Good for you.

The feeling you get for having a succesful jam is awesome. Too bad I haven't had one in quite a while.

Yeah, I don't have anyone to jam with anyway, though...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I hate "masturbating." Most of the time it's just me wanking without any purpose or thoughts over a generic video and static expressions. So boring.

I do love to pick out a few girls and run through them a few times.

I like you Xiaoxi, but you really are being a snob.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Sep 6, 2008,
Quote by frankv
Good for you.

yeah me too, havent jammed with anyone in like 3 months, sucks ass!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

The first person i ever jammed with was my old man

oh, and i had to do a double take at the title of the thread, i thought it said "RAMMED with a friend for the first time" and i was all like
jamming is fantastic when you are playing with people who can actually play. otherwise, it's frustrating as hell. i play with this drummer every once in a while that doesn't actually know any songs, so we have to jam. unfortunately, he thinks that a good time for fills is during my guitar solo

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Try Strawberry.

Is that a song? Well playing a song together is a different thing. If there are guitar parts already written, I love playing them with someone else. I just hate it when I or someone else has to go off improv. It usually ends up in a boatload of musical phail.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I've never had a good jam. In fact, I hate jams.

i usually find rasberry pretty good
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*