For any engineering majors out there in the pit, i'm a sophmore mechanical enigneering major at NIU. Any tips to help make it through college without losing my sanity?
im an engineer in the merchant navy (merchant marine in the states) its gay quit now
but really learn the stuff its not history you cant bulls*it your way through thermodynamics
Understanding Physics really well is a absolutely essential. If you don't, you might as well become an Econ major like the rest...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Understanding Physics really well is a absolutely essential. If you don't, you might as well become an Econ major like the rest...

make sure your maths is up to scratch too.
and make sure you can transpose equations cos things like steady flow energy equations can be a pit of a pain if you can't
My father is an engineer.

His advice to me:

"Don't do it."

We do have a goodish amount of money though.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
My father is an engineer.

His advice to me:

"Don't do it."

We do have a goodish amount of money though.

That's very specific.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

Don't you mean communications? That's what all the kids that are just in school to party are "studying" where I go.

Engineering is a bitch though. You just have to be prepared to put in all the time and work, and not expect a shiny nice 4.0.
Quote by jimmybob24
but really learn the stuff its not history you cant bulls*it your way through thermodynamics

therm-dyn sucks. Really though, its all about the math. math math math. if you have a very strong grasp of numbers and what not most stuff isn't TOO hard.
Quote by fleetingillness
Don't you mean communications? That's what all the kids that are just in school to party are "studying" where I go.

Engineering is a bitch though. You just have to be prepared to put in all the time and work, and not expect a shiny nice 4.0.

I was an A student in high school no problem. Now I'm working for mah 3.0 doing EE and Computer Science. It gets tough mang.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
yeah i had massive problems learning thermo, f**kin steam tables and fridge systems/polytropic f**kin b*stards

but got through it. as long as you put the work in its fine
Oh and time management is very essential. When you're taking four or five tough engineering classes at once, balancing your workload and study time gets crazy. You have to learn to waste no time while studying and doing your work. If you can do that effectively, it will be much easier on you and your grades.

Basically, don't put off the assignment that's due in a week until the day before, if you have time to do it today.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Switch over to humanities. You'll never look back.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
DO NOT TAKE ENGINEERING WITH MANAGEMENT.

And if possible, try and break up your degree with a sandwich course.
Quote by slash16x
For any engineering majors out there in the pit, i'm a sophmore mechanical enigneering major at NIU. Any tips to help make it through college without losing my sanity?

I didn't but then i only went to 1/4 of the classes i signed up for and still made a 3.0 so i am not sure if that counts
Just make sure you can keep on top of your assignments...works for me. If you do come across subjects like Thermo and they totally confuse you, don't worry it's completely normal. The only guys who understand thermo are the ones who have been researching it for like 10+ years, but funnily enough engineers can do thermo without understanding it!
"Feelin' stupid? I know I am!"
-Homer Simpson

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first..."
-Kurt Cobain
Quote by russiaininvader
therm-dyn sucks. Really though, its all about the math. math math math. if you have a very strong grasp of numbers and what not most stuff isn't TOO hard.

Are you kidding?!? Thermo rules! Now structures, THAT blows.
HI 5!! I'm a Mech Engineering major too!!
First semester doesn't have any real engineering courses tho, hopefully it gets more interesting. According to my dad, it only gets harder lol.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
Quote by mitythor666
HI 5!! I'm a Mech Engineering major too!!
First semester doesn't have any real engineering courses tho, hopefully it gets more interesting. According to my dad, it only gets harder lol.

Harder, but more interesting and more applied. Be prepared for a slog though. But anything worth having always is at some point.
Ehh, it's honestly not so bad as long as you put in some work. It's obviously not nearly as easy as a liberal arts major, but it's not impossible either.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by LordBishek
Harder, but more interesting and more applied. Be prepared for a slog though. But anything worth having always is at some point.

t'is true, took until 3rd year before I really began enjoying my degree. Make sure your maths is up to scratch and ask for help if you're struggling with anything, and thermodynamics is one of the better courses you'll study
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Too many mechies in here... Where da EEs at?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.