I think that I am finally in the market for an electric guitar. Have been playing acoustic (Grand Prix, Korean Handcrafted) for just about a year and enjoy playing a variety of songs from rock to folk, classic rock and metal - Rage, Metallica, Zepplin, Skynnard, Cash, Aerosmith, Wolfmother.

I'm excited about getting an electric, as there seems to be much more versatility then acoustic.

I've tried out a bunch of the les paul epiphones and really liked their feel (custom/standard). Can't cnovince myself to spend the money on a gibson.

I'm going to start to try out some other brands of guitar fender/ibanez/schecter. I just started to look at the Ibanez brand and like the way that they look, but have heard that a lot of them have a heavier metal sound. Is there an ibanez where I can get that sound, but also have the ability to switch it to a classic rock/rock sound. I've seen some reviews of an older Ibanez (ex1500 from 1993), that has a 5 way switch on it and can produce all of these sounds, but they seem to be hard to find and I'm not really sure I want to buy a guitar off of e-bay yet.

I guess the best way is to hit up guitar center and try some out, but any recommendations prior to going would be awsome.

This is my first post on the site, so hopefully it's in the right section. Awsome website, have been using it for tabs from the day I started playing. I'm not awsome at guitar yet, but want to play it all the time. Thanks in advance for your input!!
Try the Ibanez artcore, as far as I know, Agile would also be excellent.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I made the mistake of getting an excel...but then an Epiphone LP and it was a very good choice.
the amp helps a heap IMO. i have an epi les paul and i can play metal because of the amp. (G-DEC) so ask to try them both out with the g-dec and see which one u like more =]
sex
drugs
rock&roll
speed
weed
birth control
lifes a b***h until we die
so f**k this s**t
let's get high

Quote by Wells-Zeppelin
I wanna die on a toilet
I would say Epiphone Les Paul or any other mid range epiphones are good. I personally don't like Ibanez or schecter. they have little warmth and the necks are too thin
Unless it's a part acoustic song
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Or the intro to one.
sex
drugs
rock&roll
speed
weed
birth control
lifes a b***h until we die
so f**k this s**t
let's get high

Quote by Wells-Zeppelin
I wanna die on a toilet
Quote by madbomber233
You play metallica on an acoustic?

You're a better man than me!

lol, can play nothing else matters start to finsih, ONE (until it gets the the quick part), and some entersandman.
Epiphone prophecy FX.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by -Blue-
Hoo-rah! Another thread where I can just pop in and suggest the guitar I, myself, am currently saving for... Schecter C-1 Plus. Great feel, good sound, and coil-tapping for added versatility. Awesome finish. Don't know if you prefer trems, though... the C-1 plus is a hardtail.

Thanks for the input so far. This Schecter does look pretty awesome. I think it'll be one of the ones I try when heading to the store. It seems to be in the same price range as a epi les paul custom, which i've tried and really liked. Not too sure about what a tremolo actually does, as I have just been playing for a year and am looking at my first electric. I have read that a lot of the tremolo's go out of tune quite easily while playing - is this true and why?

Does this Schecter have the option of putting a whammy on it. I'm looking for something that I'll be able to not only play now, but also be able to play into. I don't really want buy a guitar that I will grow out of quickly. I want it to have a lot of versatility.

Thanks again for the input.

P.S. BLUE, maybe you can sell me your c-1 plus after you have bought it and had enough of it.

Anybody here know anything about The IBANEZ EX1500. I've only seen them on e-bay for sale right now, but they look sweet, well built, and quite versatile. Here's an example of a couple I've seen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160278188110

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330265603100
The Ibanez are known to be used mostly by people who play metal, but they can handle themselves pretty damned well with other styles.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG