I need a practice amp at home. I have a Traynor YCS 50 that I have at my drummers house which I gig with and it's the amp that I absolutely love, but I need something more compact. Can you guys recommend me an amp that is around $250? 5-15 watts tube (or another alternative). It needs to have a somewhat British tone with a good amount of gain.

The best way to describe the tone i'm going for is probably dark and gritty cleans and for the dirty channel I want something with a decent amount of bottom end, mostly I use my big muff though.
Roland Microcube is pretty good, costs about £65 (so maybe $100) but if you're happy to spend more, you could get the cube 10 or 15, which has more features and power.
Super Champ XD.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Superchamp xd, although the vibrochamp xd (5 watts) may fall into your price range better, and if you cant find a sound you like with the built in preset's, it will take pedals very well too.
fender classic 60's reissue telecaster
2008 MIJ paisley telecaster
fender superchamp xd
1978 fender super twin reverb
roland microcube
boss ce-2 chorus(MIJ)
dont get the micro cube get the 20 its louder and in your price range
Quote by sbinlb
dont get the micro cube get the 20 its louder and in your price range

The micro has more effects. Loudness doesn't mean anything.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
yes If you're going for cube get the microcube not the 15x 20x cause they don't have the effects microcube has.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
Valvetronix>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cube

Sorry, it's teh truf.

Also: There aren't a whole lot of tube amps in that range that are absolutely great, but there are great values to be had on the Crate V series. If you want to give something else a try, look at the Epi Valve Standard (now discontinued).