Poll: Which amp? (no more than $400)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp? (no more than $400)
Roland Cube 60w
8 23%
Vox Valvetronix 50w
15 43%
Crate Palimino 32
4 11%
Crate V33
6 17%
not sure/other amp(leave a suggestion if this)
2 6%
Voters: 35.
Well im just 80 dollars short of getting my new amp, which i will have the rest of the money after my birthday next week. Ive done a few threads before this when ive seen other amps but ive been pretty set on getting a roland cube 60w amp, i played one of these in samash and I like the tone, better than my brothers spider(and my own for that matter). I saw one of these online though, slightly cheaper.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc

Are these good? Never played one, should i stick with the cube or get this?

I need something loud enough for band practice with a drummer and small gigs like a party or something. I know the cube at least, will be loud enough, what are your experiences with them though?

Also, I play punk, grunge, classic rock, and modern rock mostly(no emo). I also plaly a bit of metal, prog, and reggae but these genres I dont care if they arent good for them, its a plus though, mainly just the first four though.

Dont tell me go tube, I wont have money for one of those for a long time, f/uck valvekings, they are useless unless you replace the speaker, which i dont have the money for and I dont want to do. Hopefully this will be the last amp thread i will have to make for a long time.

I think that covers it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I like the cube better.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Personally I'm a Cube Fanatic, and I think it will take pedals and sound better than the vox. But the two are easily comprable. I suggest comparing the two. HOWEVER based on your budget you could be in the works for a good tube amp.

A Crate Palimino 32
or a
Peavey classic 30
or
Crate V33
would be in the budget and do ALL those styles much better than a Valvetronix or a Roland cube
i hear most crates are shit though
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
i hear most crates are shit though

Solid State Crates are trash.

The Tube ones kick ass.

The ones i listed are ALL tube
Quote by Highwaytohell
Solid State Crates.

The ones i listed are ALL tube

to sound great will they need a tube or speaker change to sound great? Cuz if so no thanks. I would take a great sounding SS over an alright sounding tube.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
to sound great will they need a tube or speaker change to sound great? Cuz if so no thanks. I would take a great sounding SS over an alright sounding tube.

Valvekings usually require such things.

The Crate V series and Paliminos do not.
Trust me, these things sound WAY better than most any solid state in their range (unless you're doing strictly metal)
Ill prolly check it out if they have one then? how much are they? And for the sake of what i started the thread on, everyone is agreeing i should stick to the cube over the vox correct?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
The Vox's modeling is very good, I reccomend it.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
ive played the cube and the vox side by side, and i think that the vox is warmer and fuller sounding and better for most things, but the cube might be better if you're playing alot of high gain stuff, but they're both good amps
The Valveking. You obviously have never played one if you say that. The 112 is amazing and you can get it for I think 400? And then 70 for a new speaker if you want, it will be amazing.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by Pinky19
The Valveking. You obviously have never played one if you say that. The 112 is amazing and you can get it for I think 400? And then 70 for a new speaker if you want, it will be amazing.

I have played it, its not good, in fact it doesn't sound all that much better than my brothers spider III 75w, its just louder.

I think im going to make a poll.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
any more opinions?

oh and the poll is up
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Why the Hell isn't the Classic 30 up there! You can easily find one used for 400....

I forgot to mention, the Paliminos are more british voiced. Do you prefer american or british voicing?
i dont think ive ever played a british voiced amp, as far as amps go i dont know all that much. Whats the differences? Im guessing brit voiced would get me sounds of bands of that area or something.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
i dont think ive ever played a british voiced amp, as far as amps go i dont know all that much. Whats the differences? Im guessing brit voiced would get me sounds of bands of that area or something.

Think of British as more Marshally/Laneyish/Orangish (Sabbath, The Who, Sex Pistols)
Think of American as more Fendery/Mesa-ish (Ted Nugent, Santana)
i dont think they sell the laneys in the states, never seen one in my life.

It doesn't really matter seeing i listen to bands from both, i guess brit but like i said this doesnt really matter.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
bumped
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Highwaytohell
Think of British as more Marshally/Laneyish/Orangish (Sabbath, The Who, Sex Pistols)
Think of American as more Fendery/Mesa-ish (Ted Nugent, Santana)

Pete Townsend uses Hiwatts, just for clarification sake.

But on the topic of brit/us voicing: in most cases, brit voicing is classified as gritty with a lot of mid bark. American is a bit flatter with a bit of high end shimmer. FWIW, early marshalls are based off of the 59 bassman circuit. It's also worth stating that Duane Allman recorded several tracks using fender amps, but performed live with Marshall amps, iirc.

As far as the OP, if you can deal with one preamp voicing and not a whole load of versatility, get one of the Crates. If you want something far more versatile, get a Valvetronix.
Either Crate, I haven't tried them, but I have no doubt they pwn the Cube and Valvetronix
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Well im just 80 dollars short of getting my new amp, which i will have the rest of the money after my birthday next week. Ive done a few threads before this when ive seen other amps but ive been pretty set on getting a roland cube 60w amp, i played one of these in samash and I like the tone, better than my brothers spider(and my own for that matter). I saw one of these online though, slightly cheaper.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc

Are these good? Never played one, should i stick with the cube or get this?

I need something loud enough for band practice with a drummer and small gigs like a party or something. I know the cube at least, will be loud enough, what are your experiences with them though?

Also, I play punk, grunge, classic rock, and modern rock mostly(no emo). I also plaly a bit of metal, prog, and reggae but these genres I dont care if they arent good for them, its a plus though, mainly just the first four though.

Dont tell me go tube, I wont have money for one of those for a long time, f/uck valvekings, they are useless unless you replace the speaker, which i dont have the money for and I dont want to do. Hopefully this will be the last amp thread i will have to make for a long time.

I think that covers it.

*grabs shoulders* look at me... *shakes* LOOK AT ME!
You want that cube it will be like an orgasm in your ears!!!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Horlicks
Either Crate, I haven't tried them, but I have no doubt they pwn the Cube and Valvetronix

The Crate has more pure tone than either, it's just stubborn when you want to make it do more than 2 or 3 things, which either the Cube or the VT can do with ease.
I'm not picking on the Cube, but it just seems unproffesional. A good amp IMO, but I would only use it as a practice amp. The Crate V33 or the Palamino are the best on your list, though.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Sep 7, 2008,
if your doing small party gigs you definately want a v33 112 or 212
its perfect for what you want to do, minus metal
My Gear
-Dean ML Xt w/ Dimebuckers+Pearlygates. Tune-o-matic bridge
-Amp: Vypyr 75
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
Quote by lespaul#1
I'm not picking on the Cube, but it just seems unproffesional. A good amp IMO, but I would only use it as a practice amp. The Crate V33 or the Palamino are the best on your list, though.

well its not like i even have a band name yet, or a bassist, not to mention im only 15(in a week that is), so being professional is kind of crazy. I think I will also check out the vox and the V33 next time I go though, which will probably be today.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
oh i forgot to ask the wattage on the crate's.

I know tube amps can get loud as **** so since it will be used at home and practice mostly and occasionally for gigs but not a lot, I dont want something over 30w if its tube, most tube amps only sound as great as they are turned up
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
oh i forgot to ask the wattage on the crate's.

I know tube amps can get loud as **** so since it will be used at home and practice mostly and occasionally for gigs but not a lot, I dont want something over 30w if its tube, most tube amps only sound as great as they are turned up

They are both 30 watts all tube.

If it's a combo you want, and you want all tube tone, and you want it cheap, the V18 is just as good as the V33.
is there anything about the crates i should know? Common flaws, things i should do, etc.?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
is there anything about the crates i should know? Common flaws, things i should do, etc.?

They're cheap. Expect what you would from a cheap amp.

FWIW, I think they're better than other all tube amps in that range, save the Valve Standard.
Quote by imgooley
They're cheap. Expect what you would from a cheap amp.

FWIW, I think they're better than other all tube amps in that range, save the Valve Standard.

This is one concern of mine, im worried about how it will hold up. I might buy today though, so If i dont see the crate's I might just shoot for the the vox or cube.

I'll def try if i see them though.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I thought i would tell everyone what I bought today, my dad decided that for a birthday present, he would help me buy a nice all tube amp, i got a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 40w, while it has the line 6 spider name, its a really nice amp so far.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104616750-i1323853.gc

Theres a pic of it.
I was gonna get an ipod for my birthday but my dad helped me buy this amp and a footswitch like this for it too http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-FBV-Express-Footswitch-103398848-i1124308.gc

I was gonna get the cube, but my dad and the sales associtates tempted me into getting this, sure its not the greatest sounding tube, but its better than a valveking, and sounds better than the cube. My only problem with it is everytime I switch to another channel it gets really ****ing loud and I have to turn it back down again.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^