I'm clueless. I'm having to write a solo for one of our band's songs in C and once I determined to avoid using the minor pentatonic, I had nothing. I only know a few scales. How do you write a solo?

Also...is there a place online I can find some of these scales? My teacher was never able to teach me the vast majority of them.
The Wheel of Time turns. What was may be again, and what is may yet pass...
www.all-guitar-chords.com will show you scales over the whole neck. Just choose C major and play notes from the scale that sound good over the backing music.
My Gear
Fender Player's Stratocaster
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
I usually pick a scale/mode and improvise around it until I find something I like.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
depends what the chord progression is. there's nothing wrong with the minor pentatonic.

if it's say... v- i - iv - vi - i - v in c major or something like that then it's just g major, c major, f major and a minor, so you would simply use the a minor pentatonic with an added f note (essentially like stairway to heaven).

ala

5--------------------------
5---6-(f)--------8--------
5--------7-----------------
5--------7-----------------
5--------7-------8-(f)----
5-----------------8--------

you can also add in the blues note then it gets even more fun...

but really, depends on the chords.
i don't WRITE a solo.
i really can't be arsed to write solos, or improvised fills. it just takes too long, so i just really do everything different each time, or memorize it if i actually like it very much.

check out the first two links, and the first link in my sig. the book i mention will probably help you too.
Try to find the implications that speak to you existentially and then you'll write a truly unbiased and modulating solo.
I've been improvising for now, but I'm not sure what key it's in, major or minor. The progression is C-Eb-F-Bb.

Thanks a TON Guitarded. I love this thing. It's fun to play with and it should be helpful.

Also, thanks for the vid.
Quote by Wolfsong
I've been improvising for now, but I'm not sure what key it's in, major or minor. The progression is C-Eb-F-Bb.

Thanks a TON Guitarded. I love this thing. It's fun to play with and it should be helpful.

Also, thanks for the vid.

Did you use any of my advice?
It confused me...I don't understand it. Could you elaborate? I don't get it.
Quote by Wolfsong
It confused me...I don't understand it. Could you elaborate? I don't get it.

I suppose you're not ready for it then.
I guess not, Shackman.

I think I get what you're saying...I think. But I'm not really sure. Find things outside of theory to help? Sorry, I'm kind of slow.
Quote by Wolfsong
I guess not, Shackman.

I think I get what you're saying...I think. But I'm not really sure. Find things outside of theory to help? Sorry, I'm kind of slow.

I can't be bothered by an amateur like you...nothing personal, just a matter of my schedule.
Ah. Thanks, then, I suppose.
I just read somewhere that he never bothered with "lame scales" so I gathered that. Heh.

I'm kinda trying to get a kinda metal-ish solo, you know, like a really simple version of what Sonata Arctica or Dragonforce or somebody might do. I can play the blues..and that's it as far as lead. I've always been a rhythm guy.
If it's a band from your school, I'll assume it's not modal and that it's in a major key. In this case, you wouldn't use the minor pent. scale anyway, more than likely, you would use the major pent. By the way, you said it was in the key of C right? You then said in a future post that you weren't sure if it was major or minor.

If you are right in it being in the key of C, the major key would have no sharps or flats and the basic chord you play would be C major. If it was a minor key, it would be...uhh not sure on that one, but the C chord in the song would be a Cm rather than a C major.

Sorry, I didn't read the other posts so, I'm not too sure if you needed this or not. PM me if you need any more help/elaboration.
I wouldn't suggest straying away from the pentatonic scales for soloing until you're really efficient at soloing and solo creating. At least that's my opinion, I find it EXTREMELY hard to write solos in different scales and modes.
^ wouldn't that be exactly because of the first point you advised him with?
Quote by Shackman10
I can't be bothered by an amateur like you...nothing personal, just a matter of my schedule.

Says the guy whos sitting at his computer on UG asking that amateur if they had used his advice. ... Advice that was totally ostentatious to begin with. You sir are a total pompous ass.