Me and my dad were chatting about The Beatles the other day, and we started to wonder, "how could the band that wrote 'I wanna hold you tight' write songs like Michelle and Blackbird, which are leagues above anything else they do, musically and in terms of chord progressions?"

and then we theorized that there is, in all likelyhood, a bunch of musicians driving around england in Rolls-Royces right now, who wrote these songs for The Beatles.

Discuss and expand.

Kiedit: I dont care if you dont like the beatles. neither do i, its just a theory.
Last edited by KiErAn123 at Sep 6, 2008,
i doubt it
-Why do hunters need bullets that can pierce through bulletproof vests?
-Do I really have to spell this out for you?What if a bunch of punk kids go into the woods and strap a bulletproof vest on a bear?Then whatve you got?Invincible bears (wkuk)
A lot of the Beatles early hits were covers of old tunes, and the stuff they wrote went way above and beyond that as they developed. Considering they would drive hours just to learn a new chord some guy was playing, their effort can't be criticized. Just like any good musicians, as they got older, they got better. Most bands now a days just stay the same to sell albums, as record labels don't want to "change their sound" or other stupid thoughts like that. It's what keeps pop(ular) music so simple and boring. Definitely not like it was back in the Beatles' days.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

I love the beatles.. and I hate the two songs u said we're awesome.. its all about opinions really but i love the cheesy songs and also sgt peppers.. me and my dad often talk about the beatles and how awesome they are (Y)
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Hendrix isn't overrated. I can't say about Tupac, I wouldn't have a clue. As for the Beatles - I don't know much about them, but I DO know that for a while, they just asked advanced guitarists for the weirdest chords they knew, then they made those chords into songs.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Nah, that's a conspiracy theory. Everyone has moments of genius, they just had bouts of inspiration which resulted in those songs.
And yeah, I'm not really into the Beatles, or Jimi Hendrix. Not that they're by any means bad, I'm just not too taken by them.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
maybe they evolved and realized that writing two chords and simple lyrics is just boring, people change you know?
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
dont much care for them, but they did have a bit to do with starting this rock and roll thing pretty advanced stuff for them days, and there choice of guitars ,amps were limited i think?
ibanez rocks
The only song from the Beatles I really dislike is Strawberry Fields.

I can't stand it.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by musicology
A lot of the Beatles early hits were covers of old tunes, and the stuff they wrote went way above and beyond that as they developed. Considering they would drive hours just to learn a new chord some guy was playing, their effort can't be criticized. Just like any good musicians, as they got older, they got better. Most bands now a days just stay the same to sell albums, as record labels don't want to "change their sound" or other stupid thoughts like that. It's what keeps pop(ular) music so simple and boring. Definitely not like it was back in the Beatles' days.

erm thats not true at all.. the beatles were often a record contract right at the beginning but the company wanted to change their sound to sell more records, like they do nowadays, i think you got all of that wrong..
for example people say they sell out because they change to be more likely to sell records like what the beatles were asked to do, but they told them to **** off and ended up being awesome, and record companies started making bands to be like the beatles.. like the monkees
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by KiErAn123
by rolling in rolls royses i meant the beatles payed them.

except if that were true they wouldnt be rolling in rolls royses theyd be rolling in skodas and living out of hotel rooms, do you know how little songwriters are paid.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
except if that were true they wouldnt be rolling in rolls royses theyd be rolling in skodas and living out of hotel rooms, do you know how little songwriters are paid.

my theory revolves around the idea that the beatles paid them BIG BUCKS to write something that was heels and toes above anything they had written.
Maybe they progressed as musicians and songwriters, just like most musicians who continually play their instruments do.
it's plausible. but i think that the beatles weren't the type to get other people to write songs for them.
Quote by musicology

nevermind my other post. ^ this.
It's the drugs, and I'm entirely serious. They started straight, and wrote simple pop songs. Then they got high, went to India, got higher, and wrote songs like "Dear Prudence" and "Across the Universe".

EDIT: I'm not advocating drugs, but I am telling the truth.
my point is that blackbird and michelle are both waaay more complex and impressive then anything they had wriite, both before and after. those examples are musically above anything that, in my mind, they were capable of.
Quote by KiErAn123
my point is that blackbird and michelle are both waaay more complex and impressive then anything they had wriite, both before and after. those examples are musically above anything that, in my mind, they were capable of.

Someone forgot to say Blackbird and Michelle are pretty much Paul McCartney-only songs/compositions...So,there you go,Paul is just one guy and The Beatles are a band.They're pretty much different as an individual as they're as a band.
And,by the way,don't ever think they weren't capable of writing complex music,for god's sake.
Quote by cokeisbetter
It's the drugs, and I'm entirely serious. They started straight, and wrote simple pop songs. Then they got high, went to India, got higher, and wrote songs like "Dear Prudence" and "Across the Universe".

EDIT: I'm not advocating drugs, but I am telling the truth.

I thought I had found a neat chord progression the other day, but it turned out to be Dear Prudence
They wrote their earlier stuff to have fun and become popular
I suspect that they just grew up, like most bands do
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by guylee
the beatles are overrated.

as are tupac and jimi hendrix.

don't hate me.

You are the reason the pit is corrupt
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by -O_O-
The Beatles are horribly overrated.

Irrelevant.

Why are so many people idiots?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Last edited by kidsilcon at Sep 6, 2008,
Quote by kidsilcon
Irelivant.

Why are so many people idiots?

Oh, the irony.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by will123456789
I love the beatles.. and I hate the two songs u said we're awesome.. its all about opinions really but i love the cheesy songs and also sgt peppers.. me and my dad often talk about the beatles and how awesome they are (Y)

yeah in my opinion michelle and blackbird are pretty boring. but i love with the beatles, with all it's pop music and covers of r&b songs
and of course i love sgt peppers, with its... well, you know.
i could go on and on.
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
Beatles thread.

*reported*
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by GnR_ROK
Oh, the irony.

Oh the typo. It doesn't make me an idiot by the way, so it isn't irony.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone