I have a friend looking for a bass amp for rock and metal, and seeing as these two are so similarly priced, I have dived into UG's low end, the Bass Forum, to get an expert opinion.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Had exactly the same problem a while ago...

Here it is
Five Fifteen has an 15 inch speaker so it has a greater bass + Five fifteen is 60/100 watts while the Crush is like 30 watts... but the Crush looks really nice
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
They are both decent practice amps. Have him try them both out. Keep in mind the Ashdown has more power.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Sep 6, 2008,
The Orange amps tend to lean towards the classical 60/70's bass tone, where as the Ashdown will have more of a modern edge to it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Orange amps give a false illusion today of the classic British tube amp when in reality they are just 21st century amps living on a name that was once up at the top of the pile.
The nearest that you will get to the original amp is to get a 'Matamp see 'http://www.matamp.co.uk/home.htm this is the company set up by the late Mat Mathias a Jewish refugee who fled from the Nazis.
I've visited the factory many times, when you enter the factory you immediately go through a time warp.
With the Ashdown at least Mark Gooday (Mr Trace Elliot) didn't make Trace clones when he set up Ashdown.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn