Hi
Im doing battle of the bands soon and we've chosen to do 'The drugs don't work' by The Verve. I'm doing lead guitar, and i just need a few pointers on a few things about playing it.

All the tabs and instructional videos and tabs i've seen are just for the main acoustic rythm part because the lead guitar is pretty faint in the song and doesn't stand out, so i've decided to tab it out myself and probably improvise some of it, which i'm pretty ok at it.

Heres a live video showing the sort of lead part ill need to be playing.

I just have a few questions on the leed part.

1) How is he getting that tone? Its really smooth and sounds sort of distorted with alot of delay. Is there anything i could do to sound like that?
2) Is he in standard tuning or open C? Ive jammed over the song and found its in C major. I don't know how he can be doing the slide guitar part if hes not in open C tuning. Can someone clarify?
3) For the slide parts, how does he make it sound so .. i don't even know how to describe it lol. Its very smooth and sounds almost like violins. When i try it just sounds very tinny and trebley.

And if anyone has any other pointers on the lead part or tips, let me know. I want to try and make it sounds really good like on that video and im a bit of a perfectionist.

Thanks in Advanced.
Lot's of reverb for the guitar. You really should get a slide if you want his tone though.

It sounds like standard tuning. Ive played this song at shows before - standard. He probably plays with light picks for the tone also.
Quote by X&Y
Lot's of reverb for the guitar. You really should get a slide if you want his tone though.

It sounds like standard tuning. Ive played this song at shows before - standard. He probably plays with light picks for the tone also.

Ive got a slide, but it just sounds sort of tinny and 'country guitar like'
His playing sounds almost like an ebow or something from Sigur Ros.

Also about the tuning. I didn't know you could do slide licks on standard tunings because there arn't any chords that are just along one fret. But looking at the video it looks like he is in standard, so i guess it must be possible. I'll work it out.

Any other advice anyone?
I didn't know you could do slide licks on standard tunings because there arn't any chords that are just along one fret.
In standard, the D G and B strings form a major chord, the G B and E strings form a minor chord

1) How is he getting that tone? Its really smooth and sounds sort of distorted with alot of delay. Is there anything i could do to sound like that?
The obvious thing to do is use a bit of distortion and a lot of delay...

3) For the slide parts, how does he make it sound so .. i don't even know how to describe it lol. Its very smooth and sounds almost like violins. When i try it just sounds very tinny and trebley.
Try playing with your equaliser, turn the treble down and/or increase the bass and/or mids.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums