Hey, this might be a stupid question, but the amp I'm looking at has a switch to select 4, 8, or 16 ohms. Is there an advantage to running it at a certain position? I know you're supposed to match the cab, but I'd be ordering a cab separately with the option of any of these levels. So does it make a difference in sound or anything else?
There's a very minimal difference in sound between the settings, and none are "better" than the others, so sound isn't really an issue. It's generally better for the transformer to use the highest impedance you can, so 16 ohms is probably your best option. Another advantage to the 16 ohm cab is that if you ever use another cab you can safely use another 16 or an 8 ohm cab in parallel with the 8 ohm setting on your amp.
I used to always run my 1960 on the 4ohms setting (no particular reason, just did ) I recently switched it to 16ohms to see what would happen and it surprisingly sound MUCH better. How? I have no idea! But now it's going to run on 16ohms all the time
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Roc8995
^More output transformer windings being used. More bass, bigger sound!

It already had crazy huge bass though

It made the highs more rounder and didn't sound harsh like I was being stabbed in the ear
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Roc8995
There's a very minimal difference in sound between the settings, and none are "better" than the others, so sound isn't really an issue. It's generally better for the transformer to use the highest impedance you can, so 16 ohms is probably your best option. Another advantage to the 16 ohm cab is that if you ever use another cab you can safely use another 16 or an 8 ohm cab in parallel with the 8 ohm setting on your amp.

So...he wants a cab rated at 32 or 16 ohms right?
Well, it sounds like the cab he has is 8 ohms. If he were to buy a new cab, it would make the most sense to just get one that was 4 ohms already. If he happens to have a 16 ohm cab, it could be rewired. 32 ohm cabs are usually only found with bass amps.