So I came up with a chord progression I really like and my friend and I are going to make a song out of. I'm trying to put a solo in it but I can't figure out the key because I didn't really put full chords in it.

Verse
|
|
|6 6 5
|x 7 7 5
|7 7
|

Pre-Chorus
|
|
|9 7
|9 7
|7 5
|

Chorus
|0 0 0 0 0
|0 0 0 0 0
|5 7 9 7 9
|5 7 9 7 9
|3 5 7 5 7
|

It standard tune and I'd like to play it over the chorus chords.
I'm such a loser I couldn't get laid in a womens prison with a carton of cigarettes!
C major or E minor/Gmajor would work pretty well I would think.

EDIT: C Lydian may give you a pretty interesting sound too.
I don't know a lot about keys but um i guess try c, d, or e. If none of those work try to mess around with a number of keys until something fits.
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
^ I agree with the above.

I also say the E diminished would make a nice solo atop those chords.
Try F# major minor or Cb minor. I use those two a lot for the kind of major/minor alternating key signatures that your song is in.
Quote by Scion
I don't know a lot about keys but um i guess try c, d, or e. If none of those work try to mess around with a number of keys until something fits.

Both D major and D minor wouldn't work, as the chord progression contains both a B natural and a C natural. E major wouldn't work, as the progression contains a G natural, C natural, and D natural. C minor wouldn't work either.
Quote by Shackman10
Try F# major minor or Cb minor. I use those two a lot for the kind of major/minor alternating key signatures that your song is in.

Cb?

B
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by Spamwise
Both D major and D minor wouldn't work, as the chord progression contains both a B natural and a C natural. E major wouldn't work, as the progression contains a G natural, C natural, and D natural. C minor wouldn't work either.

However F# major minor and Cb minor work.

Cb as in C flat not B retard!
Quote by Shackman10
However F# major minor and Cb minor work.

C flat is B. They're enharmonic equivlants. (SP?)
Quote by Spamwise
C flat is B. They're enharmonic equivlants. (SP?)

Stop making up words. C flat as in a half step below C which is another half step above B sharp.
Quote by Shackman10
Stop making up words. C flat as in a half step below C which is another half step above B sharp.

I'm guessing/hoping you're joking around.

B# = C
Cb = B
Quote by Spamwise
I'm guessing/hoping you're joking around.

B# = C
Cb = B

Your ignorance is depressing
Quote by Shackman10

Okay, let's review how to find the flat of a note. Let's use A as an example. To find the flat of A, you move one half-step down. The flat of A is G#, although written Ab. Now let's do this with C. Move it one half step down. Look at that, the flat of C is B! Although it is written as Cb,they are the same note

Just to continue to prove my point, let's review how to find sharps. You take a note, and you raie it a half step. Let's take B. What is one half step higher than B? You guessed it, C! Although it is written as B#, they are the same note
Quote by Shackman10

Every heard of the enharmonc chart?
I wont pull it up but put basicly.
E# and F are enharmonicly the same note
They sound the adsact same but are just 2 ways to refer to the same note.
The same case is with B# and C.
Thats why a full octave is only 12 notes and not 14 according to your current theory.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Sep 6, 2008,
Quote by Spamwise

Okay, let's review how to find the flat of a note. Let's use A as an example. To find the flat of A, you move one half-step down. The flat of A is G#, although written Ab. Now let's do this with C. Move it one half step down. Look at that, the flat of C is B! Although it is written as Cb,they are the same note

Just to continue to prove my point, let's review how to find sharps. You take a note, and you raie it a half step. Let's take B. What is one half step higher than B? You guessed it, C! Although it is written as B#, they are the same note

One step higher than B is obviously B sharp...
Quote by Shackman10
One step higher than B is obviously B sharp...

Which is another name for C natural.
Quote by Spamwise
Which is another name for C natural.

Me and Spamwise know what were talking about here.
If anything your inability to concept this simple ideal is the depressing part of this thread.
Quote by Shackman10

Oh god

Okay. Look at this

Unless you want to argue that there is a fret between 4 and 5, i think that pretty much proves my point.

edit: +1 to BurntheDest
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Dusk...

Its Burn The DUSK haha.
Oh, my bad.

Burn the Desk makes more sense though..haha
Quote by Shackman10
I'm only messing around with you guys of course I know there's no C flat.

Uh, yes there is a Cb. It's also B natural.

Quote by Spamwise
Uh, yes there is a Cb. It's also B natural.

There's not really a Cb...you can flat a C but that's just saying make it a b.
Quote by Shackman10
There's not really a Cb...you can flat a C but that's just saying make it a b.

There's not a seperate note called Cb, no.There are plenty of songs though where B is notated as Cb. It really depends on the key signature.
Quote by Shackman10
So we agree then, of course I know there's no C flat.

Of course.
Quote by Spamwise
There's not a seperate note called Cb, no.There are plenty of songs though where B is notated as Cb. It really depends on the key signature.

Burn The Dusk is the name of my band
Actually it was my UG name before then but who cares.

And yeah depening on the equasion involved in finding the notes in the signiture key it can be prenounced in a multitude of ways.

Originally Posted by Shackman10
....Didn't I already say I was joking?

Hes saying that your states of mind are contradicting oneanother.
So unless your logged into UG via an Asylum for multiple personalitys who argue musical theory with eachother, I suggest you stop talking and go back to the pit.

But as i said, Try E Dimished, ive improvised atop minor and major scales with diminished at it comes with a very nice result.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Sep 6, 2008,